Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
I recently installed Maemo CJK (Chinese Japanese & Korean) support. This is essential to me and partially the reason I bought the N800 (the other was to learn more about Linux).

After installing, the built in Maemo input keyboard disappeared. I read that I could alternatively install SCIM and a "Matchbox" keyboard. While this keyboard is decent, it doesn't nearly provide all of the character input (little punctuation and no symbols) also, the keyboard is so small it depends that you use the stylus. I got use to thumbing the finger keyboard.

Knowledgeable folks, is there anyway to revert to the Maemo input keyboard without losing my precious CJK support?!

HELP!

Maemo CJK page (http://maemocjk.garage.maemo.org/os2008.html) specifies: Beta status, still under development...

So I installed a Unicode font, and tried to use a Web-based Chinese input for now:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15151
(Japanese input see last entry.)

My need for CJK is actually more related to reading Japanese on my tablet than writing, so the web input won't work. I guess I'm stuck with matchbox and carrying my I-Go everywhere. I guess this is another one of those times that I wished I had have put in the extra $250 and got the N810.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Amsterdam
If you all you need is display Japanese characters, I think I have good news for you. Just uninstall SCIM in Application Manager. That shouldn't affect the display of Japanese characters, only the input method will be gone and your thumb keyboard will come back.

When I first got my N800 I had the exact same problem and what I found out is that all you need for display of CJK characters is the font. It gets installed by SCIM, but not unstalled when you remove SCIM. More specifically, all you need is this file:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/fireflysung.ttf

Also, if you ever need to reflash, make sure you keep a copy of it somewhere. Then put it back after installation. Worked for me!

The Following User Says Thank You to Detlev For This Useful Post:
I haven't tested, but the firefly fonts might be more for the Chinese language. Try ttf-kochi-gothic and/or ttf-kochi-mincho for Japanese.

Originally Posted by Detlev View Post
If you all you need is display Japanese characters, I think I have good news for you. Just uninstall SCIM in Application Manager. That shouldn't affect the display of Japanese characters, only the input method will be gone and your thumb keyboard will come back.

When I first got my N800 I had the exact same problem and what I found out is that all you need for display of CJK characters is the font. It gets installed by SCIM, but not unstalled when you remove SCIM. More specifically, all you need is this file:

Also, if you ever need to reflash, make sure you keep a copy of it somewhere. Then put it back after installation. Worked for me!
My good sir, you have indeed made me a happy dude. I will report back with the results shortly!!!

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
I haven't tested, but the firefly fonts might be more for the Chinese language. Try ttf-kochi-gothic and/or ttf-kochi-mincho for Japanese.
Yep, got em installed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Detlev View Post

Frickin' wonderful!!! I also had to uninstall the Matchbox keyboard too, but all worked out in the end!!!!

Thanks again!

And don't forget that you can still use the Web-based input methods mentioned in post #2 for Japanese googling or entering short text.

I have installed the SCIM and Japanese support and after uninstalling everything, my virtual keyboard is still not working. Any ideas how to get it back without a reflash ? I have uninstalled matchbox keyboard as well ?