Closed Thread
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
I would buy one flat and one fat version of back cover.

Best regards from Berlin / Germany
www.explit.net

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
It occurs to me, a new back cover or housing might also be interesting for the N9. The ability to change N9 batteries and (ideally) add an SD card would be awesome.

Edit: aha, I see the N9 has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but ok, here it is again since the idea is still interesting.

Last edited by phr; 2013-04-07 at 23:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ridgecrest, California, USA
Are you still taking orders? I'll take one of each; where do I send the check?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to npsimons For This Useful Post:
Following body replacement off/on-topic from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...48&postcount=4

Thanks to wonderful supporters, I was just able to cheaply buy a C-mount zoom lens from some USSR-age camera (interesting thing, BTW, it allows zoom with much light going through), that will assist adjustment of C-mount thread.

No promises about that one yet, but it seems that interchangeable zoom lenses for N900 camera are closer than ever (for "fat" backcover and/or body replacement - no sane way to fit it into flat cover variant)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
is N900 service port (which is usb-compatible) separate from N900 micro-usb port? if yes I would like to have that port forwarded into the case (it also might help guys with broken usb port).

also since you estel done hdmi out mod (one with raspberry pi) is it enough place in "fat" cover to enclose ethernet-enabled version of raspberry pi? (preferably with ports forwarded to outside case or mounted statically so ethernet port of raspberry pi is actually the N900 ethernet-out and hdmi-port of raspberry pi forwardeded into cover port with short cable).

so nice would be modified version of your aluminium body, so service port would be forwarded to USB short-cable which would be matching raspberry pi USB (so perhaps end with big female) with a bit longer cable than neccessary, cover including slot for raspberry-pi, and since ports on raspbery pi doesn't seem to be at wanted position, also ports in the cover which could be forwarded to raspberry-pi in closed cover.

what else in matter of hardware you may want to stuff in your N900? and if for some stuff fat-cover is too thin do you plan veryfat-cover (one that fits triple battery?).

also you seems to say that mounting is in price, so maybe I want too send several n900s for modding in one package (to be sent back after modding). I want to spread some N900s at my friends (not for free of course), so maybe they would be more interested in modded ones (as unique is great keyword for catch-up).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
offtopic question: does N900 screen part is costful? how hard to replace those? I ask because some N900 I ordered as used hardware is very scratched. can be sratches fixed without replacing whole screen part?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by majaczek View Post
is N900 service port (which is usb-compatible) separate from N900 micro-usb port?
No, it's the same port, minus few additional safety thingies (common mode choke is only one of them that isn't double-implemented in USB chip itself).

also since you estel done hdmi out mod (one with raspberry pi) is it enough place in "fat" cover to enclose ethernet-enabled version of raspberry pi?
No way, RPi isn't so small, neither so light It would make N900 more like, IDK, xbox sized

also you seems to say that mounting is in price, so maybe I want too send several n900s for modding in one package (to be sent back after modding). I want to spread some N900s at my friends (not for free of course), so maybe they would be more interested in modded ones (as unique is great keyword for catch-up).
No problem, one package for few of them is good idea.

offtopic question: does N900 screen part is costful? how hard to replace those? I ask because some N900 I ordered as used hardware is very scratched. can be sratches fixed without replacing whole screen part?
Which one? Digitizer, or black metalic frame? Digitizer can't be fixed feasibly, and that metal part is silver under black layer, so no way to de-scratch it either.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Following body replacement off/on-topic from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...48&postcount=4

Thanks to wonderful supporters, I was just able to cheaply buy a C-mount zoom lens from some USSR-age camera (interesting thing, BTW, it allows zoom with much light going through), that will assist adjustment of C-mount thread.

No promises about that one yet, but it seems that interchangeable zoom lenses for N900 camera are closer than ever (for "fat" backcover and/or body replacement - no sane way to fit it into flat cover variant)

/Estel
Wow. What can I say. Your initiative and resourcefullness don't cease to amaze me. Yeah, those USSR lenses are the best bang for the buck! I'm guessing you picked up either a Helios 44 (or some other model) or a Jupiter lens. The Helios 44 (if I remember correctly) is simply a re-implementation of the Zeiss Biotar (this was possible because of the split of Germany between East and West, and some Zeiss factories left on the East side I think).

In any case, this is an amazing development. If you can make this work acceptably, this will add a ton of additional value to some people to an already great project.

Please, write me down for 1 (fat) backcover replacement (1 for now).

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2013-05-18 at 01:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
Wow. What can I say. Your initiative and resourcefullness don't cease to amaze me. Yeah, those USSR lenses are the best bang for the buck! I'm guessing you picked up either a Helios 44 (or some other model) or a Jupiter lens. The Helios 44 (if I remember correctly) is simply a re-implementation of the Zeiss Biotar (this was possible because of the split of Germany between East and West, and some Zeiss factories left on the East side I think).
Thanks a lot for your kind words :ashamed: Unfortunately, It isn't neither Helios or Jupiter - I haven't had idea about this thing, or I would look for it! What I got is some "Meteor" from very small video (tape, of course) recorder.

Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
In any case, this is an amazing development. If you can make this work acceptably, this will add a ton of additional value to some people to an already great project.
I hope so - interchangeable zoom lens definitely add some awesome value to this project for me It makes whole thing require more work (thus time till release), but if succeed, will bring awesome feat to our belowed device.

/Estel

// Edit

Actually, I might need some help from people knowledgeable about camera lenses, like you. You see, I would like to design lens mount point in a way, that would ensure correct flange focal distance. While it is standarized for C-mount, I'm quite sure, that presense of vanilla camera module lens (parameters of it, could be found on camera hardware pages on Maemo's wiki, I think) changes it, but I have no idea (yet) how to calculate this. Could someone do calculations for C-mount with our standard Zeiss (well, licensed) lens present and/or tell me how this calculation is performed (and why like that)?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-05-18 at 21:41.

Thanks a lot for your kind words :ashamed: Unfortunately, It isn't neither Helios or Jupiter - I haven't had idea about this thing, or I would look for it! What I got is some "Meteor" from very small video (tape, of course) recorder.
It doesn't really matter as long as it is a C-Mount lense. If your mount works with this Meteor lense, it should work with other C-Mount lenses!

I hope so - interchangeable zoom lens definitely add some awesome value to this project for me It makes whole thing require more work (thus time till release), but if succeed, will bring awesome feat to our belowed device.
Yes, it would be asesome to have something like this! And it is a great feature for your fat backcover project. Godspeed!

Actually, I might need some help from people knowledgeable about camera lenses, like you. You see, I would like to design lens mount point in a way, that would ensure correct flange focal distance. While it is standarized for C-mount, I'm quite sure, that presense of vanilla camera module lens (parameters of it, could be found on camera hardware pages on Maemo's wiki, I think) changes it, but I have no idea (yet) how to calculate this. Could someone do calculations for C-mount with our standard Zeiss (well, licensed) lens present and/or tell me how this calculation is performed (and why like that)?
You are giving me too much credit, Estel. I will look into this, and find out the theoretical way to calculate this. Even with the theoretical way, however, I think some trial and error will be necessary. In particular, it is important that infinity focusing is maintained. It is common for inferior lens mount adapters to have slight flaws in the calculation of flange focal distance which cause infinity focusing to be lost (when using the adapter, the user can't actually make objects very far to be in focus).

I haven't looked into how this is calculated, but I will take a look. Sorry for the late reply, I've been too busy (and next week won't be better unfortunately).

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Thanks a look for looking into this. Later, I'll send you a copy of our camera sensor datasheet via PM (for some absurd'ish corporate reasons, it's super-secret, i.e. unavailable on normal google'ing, and obtainable only from private sources, like asking on Maemo IRC - link from wiki is long dead due to cease and desist letter...). maybe it will contain enough info about lens, to help in calculating.

---
From follow-up department - encountered first huge obstacle. Due to our lens ultra-wide optic, it seems to be impossible to get non-obscured image, no matter how close to sensor mount is placed, if using backcover-only replacement. Nasty, black vignette covers most of frame (like with my binocular example some pages ago).

It seems, that to get something even remotely useful, mount in backcover-only is a no-go, and could be - if at all - implemented only in whole body replacement. Rotating-disc camera cover I've mentioned earlier would need to contain at least 3 positions - closed, open, and open-with-protective-plastic (last onelike it is the case in standard body - for shots without lens attached)

The open state would need to allow screwing sensor to (almost) point-blank distance from camera module (on motherboard, *not* the plastic protective thingie in front of it). I still need to check if it will allow for full frame without black vignette, but even if not, resulting image should be big enough for practical usage, then.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel