Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Izmir - TURKEY
Any of you guys have problems with playing videos on media player? (with v46, I am having problems atm, if I use stock kernel it is ok, if I use default settings of enchanced kernel it is ok, but if overclock it my videos won't play.)

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
The last time i tried a 'power kernel', my idle power consumption went from 2mA to 15mA, which means constant battery drain while not using the device.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Powersaving

To measure your idle power drain, shut off all user programs, go to offline mode and run the "./bq27220.sh 30" command, then let the backlight go off. Your target should be 2-3 milliamps.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2011-02-27 at 10:41. Reason: grammar

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Alaska
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
Any of you guys have problems with playing videos on media player? (with v46, I am having problems atm, if I use stock kernel it is ok, if I use default settings of enchanced kernel it is ok, but if overclock it my videos won't play.)
I could be wrong, but i seem to remember discussion of similar troubles when the DSP was set too high and/or the voltage too low. remember overclocking IS NOT 'stable' and as we have seen already different n900s have different tolerances for it.

not pushing too far, just 900 mhz? It was stable enough except running 6-7 web windows at the same time and changing windows like I am on PC. Seems I can't accept N900 is a little bit "slower" compared to my PC

changing voltage adjustments had no possitive effect (about playing video).

Last edited by Sin; 2011-02-27 at 13:15.

what you using for overclocking? xlv ulv ideal??? i use to have that problem thats why i tried everything mine is stable at xlv but cant play videos on ulv figure that out lol...

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The last time i tried a 'power kernel', my idle power consumption went from 2mA to 15mA, which means constant battery drain while not using the device.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Powersaving

To measure your idle power drain, shut off all user programs, go to offline mode and run the "./bq27220.sh 30" command, then let the backlight go off. Your target should be 2-3 milliamps.
How to run that, I'm already root and it says permission denied. What permisson does it need more?

Last edited by Sin; 2011-02-27 at 13:23.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There is no safe overclocking number such as 900 mHz. If you read the overclocking docs on the Wiki (and you should), you will find a table estimating what percentage of N900s fail at what setting.

I did, mine didn't fail btw

using stock kernel atm.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I have been having problems with the Camera for a while. I had been using the 2.6.28.10-power42 kernel for a while, using the ideal settings. I had just been lazy to try to get it resolved. I figured it had to do with the FCamera drivers, or with LiveFocus, or something like that. I was also experiencing crashes with SomePlayer when playing high bitrate ogg files (320 kbit/s).

Today, I finally decided to resolve the camera issue. I updated the kernel to 2.6.28.10-power47. I also updated FCam to the latest version (in devel). FCam worked fine, but the camera app continued to crash (and make funny noises when recording video). I read (somewhere) a post recommending against overclocking. So, I tried using the following command:

kernel-config load lv

And sure enough, the camera worked fine after that. So, I figured I would just use the lv settings when using the camera and the ideal settings for everything else. I then decided to test whether the updated kernel had any effect on my SomePlayer crashes. I quickly was able to crash it playing a high bitrate ogg file. For kicks I decided to try it using the lv settings. To my delight SomePlayer was able to handle the high bitrate file and has been rock solid ever since.

So, I figured I would post this here to see if it helps any one else.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2011-06-22 at 22:51.