Notices

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
Hi v13,

small feature request: it will be interesting to be able to change duration of 'red' period, since not all women stops for 5 days

anyway, vote casted
Agreed. It would be even more awesome if the app 'learned' to predict a woman's cycle by keeping track of the duration, start, etc..

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I already suggested it, went nowhere. My old S60 had an app like that, you moved the actual cycle day around and it would guess the next one by average instead of counting.

With my understanding of coding, it would require a rewrite of a lot of code. Plus some UI.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I already suggested it, went nowhere. My old S60 had an app like that, you moved the actual cycle day around and it would guess the next one by average instead of counting.

With my understanding of coding, it would require a rewrite of a lot of code. Plus some UI.
Can you explain the full algorithm?

Also, how accurate/correct is this method? From my experience, there is no averaging with unstable cycles or for times that the whole thing delays but I may be wrong.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
It's not supposed to be full-proof, but to adjust to each person's cycle, which is not divisible by 24 hours, among other things.

I don't know how the original is coded, but the way I would do it is this (I use 100 days for a cycle for ease of math):

Day 1: Cycle day? yes.
Day 2: Cycle day? yes.
Day 3: Cycle day? yes.
Day 4: Cycle day? no.
Day 5: Cycle day? no.
Day 99: Cycle day? no.
Day 100: Cycle day? no.
Day 101: Cycle day? Yes. <<

At this point, I know that this girl has a 100 day cycle, with a 3 day active. All days in which user has said nothing are considered "no".

At this point, I predict that days 101, 102 and 103 will be active, and 104-200 are inactive. 201-301 active, etc. I paint active days in light red, because they are predicted. I paint 1-3 in actual red because they are known.

I keep predicting like this until someone corrects me. Let's say that instead of 501-503, users says 502-504. I know the cycle is still 100, so I'm guessing 602-604. If user corrects me again, and I get 603-605, then the average cycle is sliding towards 101 days.

Internally, I keep a decaying average of cycle length and active days and predict based on that from the last "known" sample.

Let's say user has entered 1 Jan, 2 Jan, 3 Jan, 1 Feb, 2 Feb, 3 Feb.

I look though the database and note:

1, 2, 3 are consecutive. That's Cycle 1, 3 days.
3, 4, 5 are consecutive. That's Cycle 2, 3 days.

Therefore, uint_cycle is 31, uint_length is 3. Start running predictions. First day would actually be 3rd Mar or something.

Cool part is, I can now draw a graph. I know that Jan cycle lasted 31 days and it had a 3 day active period. Such a graph can be used to review past information.

Optionally, the next cycle i based on the last 3. Otherwise, an average of all cycles thus far.

Many an app exist, like this, but this only has a starting day, not an end day. Easier to predict. I picked that to show because of the bar graph in the screenshot. That's a cycle length graph.

I think I had this. But I can't be sure, there are so many clones, I had one with red bars and better-looking calendar.

I know this is a lot of time wasted to do right, but I'm thinking that at a bare minimum, a user could double-click a day in MaeGirls and set it to a different color, like, pink or something. That day gets added to a list, in a number format, maybe a UNIX date or something similar, like days since 2010-01-01 so it's be easy to do math. Double-clicking again removes it.

Once you have a list of dates, just build an average and set the cycle length to that, instead of 28. Ideally, see if cycle length exceeds 35 or so and if it does, auto-split it to become as close to 28 as possible (so user doesn't have to manually check every month when making corrections). But it's entirely optional.

And a bar graph is easy. Get a new window, identical to this, except exchange full height bars for length-of-cycle bars and the days under the graph in months.

It's more complicated for a full implementation, but the simple one isn't that hard to do. Right now, full-day regular clockwork cycle system covers about 1% of all females.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

What ndi is suggesting sounds great, if you could add predictions of a ovulating period as well it would be wonderful, the app is pretty nice so far

Could you fix the program ?
I can not start since updated to PR 1.3
I always get :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/maegirls", line 25, in <module>
import maegirls.main
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/maegirls/main.py", line 25, in <module>
import win
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/maegirls/win.py", line 25, in <module>
from PyQt4.QtGui import *
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but the PyQt4.QtGui module requires API v7.1

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by colchaodemola View Post
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but the PyQt4.QtGui module requires API v7.1
This is a problem of python2.5-sip4

Have a look here for a workaround.

Any chance of porting this to Meego (N9)?

Damn it, that's false advertising.

I thought this app was of this one:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66470&page=19

Originally Posted by sixracer View Post
Any chance of porting this to Meego (N9)?
yes! i agree!