Active Topics

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
It seems they have opted LTE connectivity in indian version of jolla phone (that information is not provided on snapdeal), which might be one of the reason to further reduce the price...

As per snapdeal page

Orders Processed: More than 5000

Last edited by kraker_abhy; 2014-09-23 at 16:40.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by kraker_abhy View Post
As per snapdeal page

Orders Processed: More than 5000
LOL. That's the total number of orders processed by the seller. Not the number of Jolla phones processed

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
LOL. That's the total number of orders processed by the seller. Not the number of Jolla phones processed
You are right maybe cos i was shocked to see that. i don't know how snapdeal works and what figures they show. Thanks for clearing my confusion

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Nothing against you, but this exactly is what Jolla is doing to Indian market.
Jolla: Hey, I have a phone and it runs Sailfish.
Average Indian: What's that?
Jolla: You don't know what's Sailfish? You better buy an Android.

End of the story.
It is your assumption that Jolla isn't marketing its smartphone in India.

Am I not supposed to speak out what I think about other platforms here?
I haven't said so. You can speak out when you want.

What I've said is in the context that you are in Maemo forum so I know that some millions of smartphone users prefer Maemo/MeeGo/Sailfish over Android.

I suppose in India, Jolla is just aiming TMO members. I can count them. I would be glad to see if Jolla manage to sell a few hundred units in a couple of months
Jolla wasn't and isn't aiming only TMO member, be in Finland or in India.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
ranbaxy, you're totally missing the point. It's not about being highly competitive in India and gaining 30% market share. That wasn't the game in Europe, either. (You've totally missed that in your 'India's sooo special' story.)

Given the pure size of the market, Jolla only needs to be only half as popular as they were in Europe to double their customer base. From the perspective of the Indian market, Jolla might even go unnoticed. From their perspective it may be a 100% growth - which is what counts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Re: all the people shrieking about meaningless spec comparisons or races, and shouting down Xiaomi for being 'poor quality' and 'cutting corners':

No-one expects Jolla to come out with some kind of technological, cutting edge marvel, like the Samsung Note 4, or Note 4 Edge. They just want good (but not special) specification and decent build quality. Current phone is very poorly specced and low quality generally. I don't think people would moan about higher prices, let alone call for price cuts, if the phone was better.

As for Xiaomi ... how people can call them low quality or 'budget' and simultaneously defend the Jolla from similar criticism is beyond me. Xiaomi (and many other Chinese OEMs) have infinitely better build quality than the Jolla, and tend to be extremely well specced for their price.

Re: pricing. I also don't get the supposed 'unfairness' of the phone being cheaper in India. There's less purchasing power and much more fierce price competition than in Europe ... and people are probably more likely to be buying it as a main phone, rather than one of half a dozen toys, as might be the case for some Europeans. The phone itself is never going to be an attractive prospect at any price, in and of itself, Jolla are just pricing it at the highest level they think they can for people who might be interested, without scaring them all off due to it being 'poor value'. Besides, costs of operating a simple sales operation in India are far, far lower than the EU, so a retailer like Snapdeal can retain some margin at a significantly lower price. If Jolla cut a deal to sell phones to Snapdeal (as opposed to Snapdeal selling for Jolla), it doesn't mean they're charging Snapdeal any less for the phones than DNA or 3HK. Jolla are a business, not a charity.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-23 at 17:50.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2012 @ india
Nothing against you, but this exactly is what Jolla is doing to Indian market.
Jolla: Hey, I have a phone and it runs Sailfish.
Average Indian: What's that?
Jolla: You don't know what's Sailfish? You better buy an Android.

End of the story.

I have happily imported a Xiaomi Mi3 and am using it since the last 3-4 weeks. So far so good.

Am I not supposed to speak out what I think about other platforms here?

I suppose in India, Jolla is just aiming TMO members. If yes, I can count them. I would be glad to see if Jolla manage to sell a few hundred units in a couple of months

Why is it so hard to understand simple logic? 99.9% of Indian population uses smartphone for the purpose it is made for. Not for the kind of stuff you do with your Maemo/MeeGo phone. And they would buy a "better" device at a better price.

Whatever I said is my view and my analysis. I hope I know Indian market better than Europeans

Lemme reiterate. Nobody here knows what Sailfish is, and it is gonna be a flop Mark my words. Being said that, I'm outta this thread; as you've mentioned, this is a Maemo forum
Yes..what you said is true. I am using Nokia N9 and people think that it is symbian phone(by looking icons) and they don't know about MeeGo OS. when we talk about sailfish OS..you can imagine what they think.

People in my country know more about android,iOS and Windows(gaining good momentum).

Only tech people understand what this OS is and what it is capable of.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Why is it so hard to understand simple logic? 99.9% of Indian population uses smartphone for the purpose it is made for. Not for the kind of stuff you do with your Maemo/MeeGo phone. And they would buy a "better" device at a better price.
So the other 0.1% is a friggin 1.29 million people. Why is it so hard to understand simple logic?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
16 grands for jphone! mmmmm naaaah. rich peopl.e will buy new iphonee, middle class will go for android and weaker sections will buy cheap android-one phones and linux freaks like me will buy another nokia n9. jolla guys will keep scratching their heads and keep thinking what went wrong......In India people dont give a hoover dam* about linux, all they care about is android . no live multitasking, no privacy oh hel* im going to sleep now i have to wake up early in the morning and get updates on Indian mars mission.

Last edited by hardy_magnus; 2014-09-23 at 18:19.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
linux freaks like me will buy another nokia n9.
Of which there's soon going to be exactly zero for sale / available, huh?
So you better start looking for alternatives, be it SFOS os Ubuntu or something else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: