Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
So I got the dreaded crossed off no-SIM telephony disabled message today....
I guess I am all out of N900s.
My pinephone is not ready to be a daily driver under Mobian and Maemo-Leste is not ready for making phonecalls and SMSs.
I'll still be around.

Last edited by biketool; 2022-03-04 at 10:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Hope maemo leste will rise soon to be fully operational and compatible with all devices. Why mobian is not a daily driver!! Is the calling function woking or not woking?

The Following User Says Thank You to salahkhani For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post
Hope maemo leste will rise soon to be fully operational and compatible with all devices. Why mobian is not a daily driver!! Is the calling function woking or not woking?
It(Pinephone 3/32gb running Mobian) works well enough for receiving and sending calls as well as SMSs.
Maybe I am wrong but it seems I will have to edit files to make contacts though maybe I can import vcards from the N900.
One major problem though is media playback, I think I can drain the 3150mA/h battery in 70-100min watching video on desktop VLC as the phosh media player is very limited in formats it will play.
Pretty much the app situation is very sparse and installing desktop apps is difficult as they dont ever format correctly with the minimum pixel count they are expecting. Things might get better when my pine-keyboard clamshell arrives but the touch interface is not great for desktop apps.
Really though beyond that I just want a battery effecient way to play audio-books, I need that perhaps more than a music player for long commutes; my other big thing, bluetooth PAN tethering should be easy to script because hooray! Linux!
But I realize that I already really miss Maemo vs the experimental and now enforced daily-driver use of Phosh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
You are right, Nokia N900 and Maemo are pretty functional than Pine phone. Was considering to purchase one to test it, but your review will hold it until it becomes fully functional

The Following User Says Thank You to salahkhani For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
So I got the dreaded crossed off no-SIM telephony disabled message today....
I guess I am all out of N900s.
My pinephone is not ready to be a daily driver under Mobian and Maemo-Leste is not ready for making phonecalls and SMSs.
I'll still be around.
Search on the web for repair method. Is way easy and will take no more than 15 minutes without soldering

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Search on the web for repair method. Is way easy and will take no more than 15 minutes without soldering
Yea, I did think of doing the full reballing repair with my hot air reworker but I really need to start making the pine into my new daily driver, I still would like to fix it in the future though.

Also the app situation has improved and I have GPS working, one issue is current build has quit taking and making phone calls after using it for a few days and reboot doesn't fix it.
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=apps
Apps are still pretty slow since it has a weak CPU but the experience with a bit of work is far better than even three months ago.
Re:my need fo audio book, cozy has been mretty well optomized; I dont like it as well as Panucci but it works well enough for now.

Maybe it is just a relief to be interacting over SSH/SCP with a real proper Linux system post Maemo/N900 after having done Microg for LineageOS installs for other people.

I still really want to see a working phone Maemo-Leste build for the pinephone soon.

Last edited by biketool; 2022-03-04 at 11:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Yea, I did think of doing the full reballing repair with my hot air reworker but I really need to start making the pine into my new daily driver, I still would like to fix it in the future though.

Also the app situation has improved and I have GPS working, one issue is current build has quit taking and making phone calls after using it for a few days and reboot doesn't fix it.
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=apps
Apps are still pretty slow since it has a weak CPU but the experience with a bit of work is far better than even three months ago.
Re:my need fo audio book, cozy has been mretty well optomized; I dont like it as well as Panucci but it works well enough for now.

Maybe it is just a relief to be interacting over SSH/SCP with a real proper Linux system post Maemo/N900 after having done Microg for LineageOS installs for other people.

I still really want to see a working phone Maemo-Leste build for the pinephone soon.
Reballing is the best option but no need for it. The simple pressure method still works fine. Mine is ok for more than 3 years

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Reballing is the best option but no need for it. The simple pressure method still works fine. Mine is ok for more than 3 years
You mean the folded paper on top of the SIM for pressure trick?

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
You mean the folded paper on top of the SIM for pressure trick?
Yes. Worked for me on 3 devices and still running without issues

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
The paper trick on the SIM worked, still going to keep at making the Pinephone my primary.
The N900 is still a favored backup though.
The Pine might be alpha rough but getting back to being able to access the modern internet is pretty cool without needing to tether a tablet or laptop.
(edit)Sadly not so easy, now it goes from X-ed SIM to working, a few squeezes help, but no longer reliable. It will probably be a while until I can hot air reball the modem but is still good way to run Maebble to update my Pebble watch.

Last edited by biketool; 2022-03-08 at 10:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: