Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by SaiKo View Post
where do you find a design for a qwertyslider that big so as to not have to develop it from scratch?
from his other project, HWK moto mod.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
question: have you considered a touchscreen phone with optional magnetic keyboard? (like tohkbd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A834DyFiBUE)
you'd have a wider range of designs to choose from, just need to add pins and magnets on the back.
To be honest, a phone with a keyboard attached this way is rubbish, for multiple reasons:
  1. The Phone is massively unbalanced, because the battery is in the Display unit, so typing isn't really comfortable.
  2. The Phone is thicker
  3. The whole thing is quite instable (not software wise but hardware) and doesn't give you a lot of trust in not loosing the display unit.

I have tohkbd and I merely use it for that reasons.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I tend to agree with @fellfrosch's points. Just as most-if-not-all keyboard accessories meant to be used with a tablet, "converting" it to a laptop don't work for the very same reasons; the end result is not a good tablet nor a good laptop

It is essential to have a solid connection between the lower part containing the KBD and the upper part with display, and to get the balancing right the battery just has to be located in the lower part, else the construction is very uncomfortably balanced.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I think we need a big banner on the first post explaining why the screen size is set, to prevent this recurring debate.

For those of us who sit watching this thread it looks like people just aren't getting the message / complaining even though the answer has been given several times, but in reality it's probably just because newcomers aren't reading the whole thread and the information is buried (even though it's linked from the first post, it could be more explicit).

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
where do you find a design for a qwertyslider that big so as to not have to develop it from scratch?
the last landscape qwertysliders were produced way before screens got that big, so ... you'd asume there arent any designs that big you could use?
He has the slider design from his Moto keyboard project.

And he has a working reference design for a 5.5" device. (Not sure where from, but that's what I understood.)

So now all he has to do is combine those in a single device. Which is easier than starting from scratch, but is still a very big effort considering he only has a small team.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
A friend of mine came up with an interesting idea about N900 and I think it may be great to include it in Livermorium.

The idea is: shift/fn on the back of the device just as L1/R1 keys on a game pad, to be pressed with an index finger. This would make it possible to type special characters much more quickly. I don't insist on removing usual shift/fn but what about adding such extra keys?

This would certainly be innovative. And it would be nice to configure these, because some other use would be to have left/right in sich a form.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Was busy finishing the Keyboard Mod. But some progress was also made with this device.

This is the look when the slider is closed.

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Was busy finishing the Keyboard Mod. But some progress was also made with this device.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIBktqKXsAMkACP?format=jpg

This is the look when the slider is closed.
I'm in love with the design

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Holy sh*t - shut up and take my money!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The design is great, you didn't lie when you said Lauta, and that's awesome.

Slightly bevelled corners as on the N950 would save our pants though.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-25 at 04:57.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen