Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I have a crazy/silly idea. Will it be doable that Maemo.org raise funds and buy off the Maemo 5 components from M$/Nokia whoever owns them. Neither of them will use it anyway. Then we can port to Neo900 or other HW.
I think this is impossible money wise but I decided to post it anyway. Just feel sad that someone owns it and will never ever make use of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
so many times I've nearly bought a jolla. prerelease campaign, discounts, multiple times during tablet campaign as a bundle...
initially reservation was due to unknown level of support, now its just the hw being slightly outdated. if they announced a jolla2 today i'd order in a heartbeat.

Maemo using Android graphics drivers via libhybris and Wayland may be the one of the only long term options or an atom+intel hd graphics device. Neo900 is in the position to go without because of the hw similarities (omap). We will need to see what the porting team come up with.

Sticking with X11 (drivers permitting) with an updated user space based on GTK3.14+ is something I've been looking at but not yet tested on any real device. I have a desktop and hildon-home built but have discovered a number of issues with libhildon, mainly around anything using HildonPannableArea seg faulting. I've been rebasing the class on GtkScrolledWindow as upstream now supports touch. _scroll_to()/_jump_to() are proving to be a major culprit of faults. There nearly done, just wish gtk_adjustment_animate_to() was public API, so I'm having to reimplement in class.
I don't understand any of that last paragraph. However, if it's possible to port Maemo to the Neo900, that means it's not generally impossible, and should be possible to port it to other devices as well, yes?
SailfishOS was very incomplete at release, but I can see it being up to par with Maemo in terms of features by version 2.0. Really curious what that will bring.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
I guess we're not on the same wavelength.. If you find Maemo "absolutely great" then no path can lead you towards Windows (Phone). But of course, this is just an opinion..
Ah no, my God! No, I don't mean so, it's because I couldn't find the Maemo replacement!) I'm so scared!)))

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acuna For This Useful Post:
And thanks a lot everybody for your nice answers, There's what to think)

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Here is an ex-meego dev who is now working on Ubuntu Touch, some useful ideas for any of us who don't mind reflashing an Android device. Asus is pretty open about allowing alternate OSs and distributing the bootloader tools. I am hoping he can steer that ship towards the places Maemo and Meego were charting.
http://notyetthere.org

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: