Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Just reflash the kernel to use either version.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
What must I exactly do to install this kernal? (running windows xp)

Last edited by Nik1; 2007-03-31 at 18:41.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
M-

you were correct. i just reflashed, and that worked.

Hi All,

So this SDHC version of the kernal can support all SD cards from normal ones to SDHC ones? Or only SDHC ones?

Luke

SD and SDHC. The kernel linked in my earlier post also adds low-voltage, wide-bus and high-frequency support for MMC/SD/SDHC - I'm not sure if Kalle used the very latest patches for his kernel.

I've read and re-read the post on flashing to the SDHC kernal but it won't sink in. As a VERY BIG LINUX NEWBIE, can someone give me a quick understanding on the difference between flashing the operating system and this new kernal?

How do you FLASH to the new kernal from Windows XP and just WHAT files are needed.

I know some of you more experenced operators may get tired of explaning what to you is a simple thing, but making changes to a new EXPENSIVE computer is making me nervious.

By the way I did manage to get the new operating system flashed with no problems. This "kernal" thing is what I dont understand.

Thanks in advance and I'll say up front "Sorry for having you repeat it so many times" but my brain can't seem to "Get" it.

REMJAX

Most modern operating systems these days have a kernel - even Windows. Think of it as the core of the OS, and it provides much of the low level functionality (such as device drivers) that is made available to applications and higher-level parts of the operating system.

When "flashing the operating system" using an image (ie. the 100Mb+ download available from Nokia) you are actually flashing the device with several different filesystems and components - initfs, rootfs, kernel, a secondary boot loader etc. The large image you download from Nokia (called a FIASCO image) simply contains all of these components and will update all of them for you automatically. rootfs, by the way, is the filesystem that contains all your applications etc. - flash a new rootfs on to your device and you'll lose all your previously installed applications.

The Linux flasher allows you to flash these components individually by specifying the correct command line arguments. This functionality is NOT available on Windows XP, so if you only have a Windows PC then download and use a Linux LiveCD or obtain a VMWare image.

To flash only the kernel you would download the kernel binary (which isn't very big at 1.3MBMb) and flash it on to the device as follows:
Code:
./flasher-3.0 -k <path to kernel binary> -f -R
-k instructs the flasher app to expect only the kernel as input
-f instructs the flasher app to flash whatever is used as input onto the device
-R instructs the flasher app to reboot the device when flashing is complete

Having reflashed your device with this new kernel, your device will restart exactly as before - all applications intact - but now your device will have high-speed SDHC support.

Hope this helps.

THANKS!

That makes it easier to understand. I didn't realize the NOKIA download consisted of those individual parts. I wondered why the SDHC upgrade was so small in relation to the Nokia upgrade, now I know!

NOW to try the upgrade.

REMJAX

Having not done this before either and not finding documentation for how to do this all together, would the steps be:
1) flash the new firmware that was published last week
2) after it comes up, take this new kernel and flash it?

..Implying that this patched kernel doesn't include all the things that came from the release that Nokia published last week. ..sorry for being a newbie.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Beijing, China
Hi Milhouse,

Thanks for your detailed instructions. I am interested in flashing the kernel of my N800 for SDHC support but I have been booting my system from the SD card. Is there an easy way to update the kernel on the SD card after flashing the kernel on the device? I hope I don't have re-format the ext2 partition and rebuild the whole SD OS image. Thanks in advance!