Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It's also possible to force a window of your choosing (instead of the entire system) to go into portrait mode, too.

I did this via SSH, but you can use something like "wmctrl -l" and pass the window IDs to the -id parameter of xprop:
Code:
xprop -f _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT 32c -set _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT 1
(*tap window*)
xprop -f _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_REQUEST 32c -set _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_REQUEST 1
(*tap same window*)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
It's also possible to force a window of your choosing (instead of the entire system) to go into portrait mode, too.

I did this via SSH, but you can use something like "wmctrl -l" and pass the window IDs to the -id parameter of xprop:
Code:
(*tap window*)
(*tap same window*)
Interesting, I never new this was possible. Thanks.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post

Code:
(*tap window*)
(*tap same window*)
I can now see how totally useless portrait mode in the browser would be. It's either going to break pages or render them unreadable if it forces images to fit while maintaining there intended aspect ratios.

Makes me appreciate the work that went into the current browser. I haven't had to fuss over UserContent.css at all. My old bookmarks are useful with out it. Changes can be made with simple gestures if needed.
With the N8**'s on the other hand I needed to make hella font and image changes to make these same pages usable.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Romania, Bucharest
Here is a post to portrait mode bug reproduced: utestme.com/2009/12/20/portrait/

I think it'll be a lot of work for Nokia to implement the trick...

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I got this 'mode' right now. Not too usable... Took some screenshots but I'm reboothing right now. Closing/opening the keyboard didn't rotate the screen.

I tried some of the apps, all did run but were difficult to use..

Oh yeah.. Pics: http://share.ovi.com/album/Mandibela.N900Portrait

Last edited by Mandibela; 2009-12-20 at 21:56.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I can now see how totally useless portrait mode in the browser would be. It's either going to break pages or render them unreadable if it forces images to fit while maintaining there intended aspect ratios.

Makes me appreciate the work that went into the current browser. I haven't had to fuss over UserContent.css at all. My old bookmarks are useful with out it. Changes can be made with simple gestures if needed.
With the N8**'s on the other hand I needed to make hella font and image changes to make these same pages usable.
I don't think portrait mode in the browser would be useless... I mean, firefox works okay... nothing gets squashed, you just have to scroll. Usefull for those simple mobile sites that were made for iphone, like facebook etc.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
Look what i've found :
http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=...it-mode-how-to

do someone have the time to test ???

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Do you have the time to test?

Horrible. He just bugged it out. No point. id rather wait for the official portrait mode.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
lol, i got this to happen by accident..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngnQntH68o

EDIT: works okay, definitely needs work !!

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-01-13 at 15:01.