Active Topics

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I was musing...

Having done quite a lot of work with the eventlogging system, I was wondering if extending it to make an easy optimisation might be a good idea, namely, splitting the database. Have all events older than a week stored in a second database, and merge the two via the API.

Would make all the common use cases (most recent events, showing last few events, etc) constant time, and mean corruption is likely only to affect the last week or so's events as the archive db would only be being updated once a week or so. Main downside would be software that accesses the DB directly using SQL would get very upset (naughty, naughty!)

Thoughts?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Newer glib. Then we can port newer stuff, e.g. newest MyPaint without hacks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
I would love to see an option to work around Bug 4006.

Today I overslept. I must have been in deep sleep when the alarm went on. I did not even hit Snooze once, normally I push Snooze a few time before I get up.

Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
I was musing...

Having done quite a lot of work with the eventlogging system, I was wondering if extending it to make an easy optimisation might be a good idea, namely, splitting the database. Have all events older than a week stored in a second database, and merge the two via the API.

Would make all the common use cases (most recent events, showing last few events, etc) constant time, and mean corruption is likely only to affect the last week or so's events as the archive db would only be being updated once a week or so. Main downside would be software that accesses the DB directly using SQL would get very upset (naughty, naughty!)

Thoughts?
Makes sense, but wonder if the problems it would cause for software not aware of it would be worth it. Also, seems that the conversations window only accesses a small subset of the data at a time anyway. ~30 messages at a time I think. If you try to scroll quickly you will notice a definite lag as it loads the next set when you get to the top of each screen.
I think you were on to something with your post here about changing the way it updates the group cache. Perhaps threading & updating the cache with a different thread would avoid locking things and causing the corruption in the first place? I am no expert in this area, just musing out loud for those who are to consider.

The Following User Says Thank You to computerinfo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by computerinfo21 View Post
Makes sense, but wonder if the problems it would cause for software not aware of it would be worth it.
Perhaps. That's what dependency management's for though...
Also, seems that the conversations window only accesses a small subset of the data at a time anyway. ~30 messages at a time I think. If you try to scroll quickly you will notice a definite lag as it loads the next set when you get to the top of each screen.
Indeed. SQLite is awesome...but the most effective optimisation you can do in software development is do less. Moving the archive data out of the default searches makes finding the stuff you are likely to care about much quicker and more responsive. Less data means better caching. Less work means less instructions, means more spare CPU cycles. More spare CPU means longer battery life. I like having my archive with me...but even I rarely look back. You might do the odd search to find an old message or to see some interesting stats (yay, smscounter)...but even I'll admit that's a poor excuse for slowing down searches for the messages you're receiving now. Nokia recommends archiving your old messages...this is effectively doing that, but making them accessible to well-behaving applications that use the API. Nothing should break...they'll just get a smaller dataset. Perhaps longer than a week...maybe a month or two would be enough...
I think you were on to something with your post here about changing the way it updates the group cache. Perhaps threading & updating the cache with a different thread would avoid locking things and causing the corruption in the first place? I am no expert in this area, just musing out loud for those who are to consider.
Yeah...I think it's somewhat ironic that the caching used to make the conversations view work better causes so many problems

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
3g video calling over utms network

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rishabsp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Bangladesh
remove nokia hands, and add n9,n950 startup as default intro!
touch focus, as seen on fcamera. integrate in main cam ui.
call contact photo :change it to full screen or may be a larger thumbnail?
FOR GODS SAKE FIx THE ALARM!!! I NEVER get to work at time after last update :P

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Is it possible to replace the application list with one that can have the icon and font sizes changed in the list, even if with an external application like Theme Customizer?

I'm finding it necessary to increase the sizes for easier visibility, fonts & icon sizes on the desktop have successful control through Theme Customizer, but the Application List seems to be independent of what's controlled by Theme Customizer.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by techdude2121 View Post
FOR GODS SAKE FIx THE ALARM!!! I NEVER get to work at time after last update :P
Until this bug is resolved, would you be able to use cpulvermacher's Evil Alarm as a substitute?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57137

I am using Alarmed to connect to my wireless and then play an internet radio station in KMPlayer (KMPlayer doesn't stop from buffering issues as the stock media player sometimes does).

Additional edit:
I am having no issues with the alarm. It goes off reliably, & the snooze is working reliably. I am scheduling it through Alarmed, though, if that makes a difference.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2011-11-25 at 14:02.

Python-2.6.
Harmattan has it, Fremantle never: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4734

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu stable, nokia n900