Active Topics

OMG, just buy a sat nav ffs! I have a n900 and an iPhone neither are good enough replacement for a full blown sat nav.

The Following User Says Thank You to Luz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
errr.... what?

nope, designed to be online 24/7 means the way everything should work: by requiring a connection 24/7. there was some criticism in the first place about it but it has been a known fact for 1.5 years or something....
Can you mention something that doesn't work unless you are connected 24/7? AFAIK, NO ONE is connected 24/7 except for a few people who have special lines. I have cable Internet, for example, and I'm not connected 24/7.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
By that standard, my car can be marketed with "free driving, forever! At only 75% cost!". The fact that those b*tards at the gas station charge for gas isn't my problem. And the fact that all sales are subject to tax also isn't my problem.
Your analogy is apt, but only because it's actually correct and totally goes against the point you were making.
In the UK, almost every car is marketed with an "on the road" price - This is the cost of the car, its' road tax, and a small amount of fuel. Nowhere on the advert is it specified that the "on the road" price will only actually get you maybe 50 miles or 6 months, whichever is sooner, and that after that you have to start paying for fuel and road tax.
You know why they dont advertise those extra running costs? Because theyre BLOODY OBVIOUS.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Designed to be online 24/7 means it CAN maintain a link 24/7, not that it has to. And you know that full well.
Er, no. Quite the opposite. Designed to be online 24/7 means it is supposed to be online 24/7, should be, and is designed to be. Most network operators actually also make this abundantly clear.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Do iOS and Android support offline navigation out of the box?

Anyone have an answer to this? I'm curious to know if the Nokia-bashing is actually justified or if the competition is just as lacking ala the whole Flash 10.1 fiasco.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Android does not offer offline navigation out of the box. It needs the internet in order to navigate. Maps are not saved in the devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Anyone have an answer to this? I'm curious to know if the Nokia-bashing is actually justified or if the competition is just as lacking ala the whole Flash 10.1 fiasco.
The competition is just as "lacking". Google maps (Android) requires a connection to download maps as well as route etc (Ovi on the N900 only actually needs data transfer for searches, maps and map-based routes can be handled without data transfer), and iOS doesn't include any nav software. WinMo devices generally ship with a trial of Copilot, which after the trial isn't free.
Ovi maps, the version included on symbian devices anyway, is the only free and fully offline capable mapping software available.

So yeah, boo hoo, the N900 only has a similar limitation to that of every Android device, and is still more comprehensive than any other platform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Confirms what I thought (more FUD). Is the n900 the most polarizing device ever or what?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by nidO View Post
The competition is just as "lacking". Google maps (Android) requires a connection to download maps as well as route etc (Ovi on the N900 only actually needs data transfer for searches, maps and map-based routes can be handled without data transfer), and iOS doesn't include any nav software. WinMo devices generally ship with a trial of Copilot, which after the trial isn't free.
Ovi maps, the version included on symbian devices anyway, is the only free and fully offline capable mapping software available.

So yeah, boo hoo, the N900 only has a similar limitation to that of every Android device, and is still more comprehensive than any other platform.
Thanks for the clarification nidO.

Like I said a few posts back, if you know roughly where you are going you can still "fly" and zoom into your best guess location just using the maps stored data. This gets you very close to the target, and gives you turn by turn info.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
OMG, it says a full web browser with flash support!
that's just like saying a web browser with full flash support!
that's just like saying a web browser with every version of flash forever!
that's such a LIE!!!!!!!1!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
OMG, just buy a sat nav ffs! I have a n900 and an iPhone neither are good enough replacement for a full blown sat nav.
TomTom on my iphone works exactly the same as my TomTom hardware device so your statement is untrue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebeldiamond For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad ad, crybaby, free: yes, marketing, n900rulz, navigation: yes, nokian cults, not an iphone, read dictionary