Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
With 10-12k orders, each would have to order 0$ cost accessory for 50$ to give them another month, financing a company for return is a bit different order of numbers than IGG/KS
naa, but it would raise interest from investors, of course!

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
on desktop it is because X11 and nvidia, intel, ati GFX drivers sucks both open and closed drivers that is.

My Lenovo at work constantly fails GFX glitches and dual screen problems and so on Just came home from work. Three times this day my work was interrupted by this ****ing messy X11/xrandr/gfx shitness.
All my computers run funtoo (desktop, laptop, laptop at work) with multiple screens and I'm on latest SW. I barely have problems. Some people pay for monolith choice and when they let others to choose for them the technology.

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
naa, but it would raise interest from investors, of course!
Sure, on TJC also are calls for IGG/KS, but finnish realities mean they would need to sell something (maybe selling support would work), but again, they got 2 mil for a product, doubt similar level of funding is possible even if they went around the limitations of no 'gifting/donations', which is 1-2 months realistically. Investors would need to go in for a year (or actually couple, return on investment in a year with Jolla seeing how MS is faring in that regard... yeah). Still think the conspiracy theory of investors willing to put money in in exchange for something Jolla is not willing to give them seems probable (putin! putin!! putin!!! or NSA/Mossad, add the bangs yourself)

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Maybe this community will actually take whats there and make their Utopic OS, and not be dependent on companies like Jolla. Maybe a rebirth of Hildon, I remember w00t creating a desktop prototype in QML.
I did a lot more on that when I had some spare time over summer. I should really get it into a demoable state someday

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yeah, that's right! Get rid of all the engineers, all the finance people, all the marketers. Just do what you can asap to plop a tablet into the hands of everyone who ordered one. Of course, the fact that the device will not have any support and new features never added because there isn't anyone left to do that kind of work doesn't matter...
While I guess many community members would be willing to get without the tablets they backed if it helped Jolla to get over the current crysis, there are still many others who trusted Jolla to deliver and who could generate a lot of ill will and anger if they never get what they ordered/backed.

And I'm afraid that ill will, not delivering & loosing trust is really something Jolla might not affort at a moment when critical investment rounds & licensing deals are at stake.

Also while the amount gathered in the crowdfuding campaign is not insignificant, I'm afraid it still can't "power" an undertaking of Jollas size for long.

*fingers cross*

there is more that I want jolla to achieve.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
And I'm afraid that ill will, not delivering & loosing trust is really something Jolla might not affort at a moment when critical investment rounds & licensing deals are at stake.

Also while the amount gathered in the crowdfuding campaign is not insignificant, I'm afraid it still can't "power" an undertaking of Jollas size for long.
Hmm. I hate to say it, but yeah, with respect to Jolla's size (and aims), the amount gathered in the crowdfunding campaign is just that: insignificant. Along with the associated ill-will, much as it may seem overwhelming right now. The tablet touches, at most, ten thousand users; but a truly successful phone rollout would potentially reach hundreds of thousands of users, perhaps even millions.

If the sacrifice of the tablet project would allow Jolla to complete such a licensing deal, there'd be no question -- the tablet would have to go.

But yeah, it really isn't one or the other. If Jolla could get more funding, they'd be able to complete the tablet easily (at this point, there can't be anything other than money holding back tablet production, as they can already produce and ship completed units). And if they're already at the point where they're laying off employees, there's not much point to actually producing and shipping the tablets, is there? If there isn't going to be a Jolla in the near future, it'd make more sense to refund backers than to send them a device with no support and no future...

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Hmm. I hate to say it, but yeah, with respect to Jolla's size (and aims), the amount gathered in the crowdfunding campaign is just that: insignificant.
Yeah, people very often underestimate the amount of resources that sustainable development of properly designed, stable, tested, documented and supported software takes.

Along with the associated ill-will, much as it may seem overwhelming right now. The tablet touches, at most, ten thousand users; but a truly successful phone rollout would potentially reach hundreds of thousands of users, perhaps even millions.
Please let me reiterate - you are basically advocating pissing of 10000 people, with large amount of them being right in your home country. Sorry, but that still does not sound like a good idea.

Especially if you ever want to get (another) licensing deal - "well, we did promise something to 10000 people who gave us their money but we had to use it for something else - oh but we will for sure keep all promises we have made for this deal!" - is not a good starting point IMHO.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Please let me reiterate - you are basically advocating pissing of 10000 people, with large amount of them being right in your home country. Sorry, but that still does not sound like a good idea.
I was making the comparison between:

a) Jolla pissing off 10000 people

and

b) Jolla going immediately bankrupt.

This ridiculous comparison all started off with Dave999 stating that he preferred the latter to the former, if it would allow him to receive a tablet. I simply stated that the former was preferable to the latter.

In truth, neither is possible -- Jolla will either go belly-up (and therefore fail to ship all the tablets, as is looking more and more likely), or Jolla will find some way to pull out of its current nosedive, at which point it will be trivial for them to ship all the tablets (as money is the only thing left stopping them from doing so).

So yeah, this was never a serious conversation in the first place...

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
All my computers run funtoo (desktop, laptop, laptop at work) with multiple screens and I'm on latest SW. I barely have problems. Some people pay for monolith choice and when they let others to choose for them the technology.
My entire department uses Lenovo with multiple screens and yucky RHEL Desktop and we are just fine. My personal are Gentoo no problems.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund