Just bought cuteTube from Nokia Store! I don't use it that often (am not a frequent YouTube lurker), but I felt marxian deserved it! Such motivation has to be supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ finland
extraction of mp3 from a video?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoolkhan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by zoolkhan View Post
extraction of mp3 from a video?
I don't plan to add that to this version. I do not want cuteTube to be viewed as a music piracy application.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Version 1.0.2 has now been submitted to Nokia Store QA. Here's the changelog:

New features:

* Choice of three homescreens: Standard, Friends' Activities and Subscription Videos.
* Monitoring of clipboard for YouTube links. Detected videos can be added to playback queue and/or download queue.
* 1080p download option. Note that 720p/1080p YouTube videos will not play on the N9.

Bug fixes:

* Possible crashing when resuming/cancelling saved downloads.
* Some UI anomalies resulting from the PR1.1 firmware update.

cuteTube will extract the video id from either a single link or multiple links. The application must be running for the clipboard to be monitored.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
did you happen to mention where the source was being hosted?

EDIT: found a link from the meego wiki

Last edited by antman8969; 2011-10-23 at 20:20.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Marxian, I just posted a review for CuteTube on my own personal blog, http://www.EverythingN9.com. Fairly simple review, but I hope it helps get exposure for your excellent app. I'm a long time user of Cutetube and QMLtube.

The Following User Says Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
Marxian, I just posted a review for CuteTube on my own personal blog, http://www.EverythingN9.com. Fairly simple review, but I hope it helps get exposure for your excellent app. I'm a long time user of Cutetube and QMLtube.
Thanks for taking the time to review cuteTube. I would also like to say thanks to everyone that has purchased cuteTube and to those that have provided what has been overwhelmingly positive feedback.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Marxian - downloaded cuteTube last night from the Nokia Store. Some feedback on my experience so far.

- The App crashes quiet frequently whilst trying to play a video after I select a video to download. Message like "this application is not responding" pops up and if i let it run the video does not download. I must close it and re launch it.

- Some of the videos do not download. Add more than 1 to the queue and the Transfer UI shows only one downloading whilst the other is paused. However the paused video appears and disappears from the Transfer UI several times before disappearing all together.

- Download speed has been very slow. An 11MB file took 5 mins. I had a decent wifi connection.

I have not enabled developer mode or installed any 3rd Party apps. Was not running multiple apps at the same time so the phone had all the resources to run cuteTube.

Let me know if I can answer any further questions to help you get to the bottom of this behaviour. I havent read any other problems with the app so wonder if my device is just misbehaving.

Thanks for the hardwork. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I don't plan to add that to this version. I do not want cuteTube to be viewed as a music piracy application.
Well that's such a shame because it was such a great and useful feature on the N900 version.

Might I suggest adding that feature in as a separate plugin. You wouldn't have the problem of the app being viewed as piracy since it won't be in the ovi store with the plugin and only way to install this plugin is by downloading it from a thread at TMO or from some other source you set up.

The Following User Says Thank You to isfr21 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Marxian - downloaded cuteTube last night from the Nokia Store. Some feedback on my experience so far.
Sorry for the belated reply. I wasn't online much yesterday as I was working on the Symbian version of MusiKloud all day and I only had access to the internet on my N8 (long story :/).

- The App crashes quiet frequently whilst trying to play a video after I select a video to download. Message like "this application is not responding" pops up and if i let it run the video does not download. I must close it and re launch it.
I have not experienced anything like that during testing. If I attempt playback whilst a download is in progress, it works as expected, although it may take slightly longer to load as the download is using up bandwidth. I might set a rate limit on downloads whilst playback is in progress (I could make it optional).

- Some of the videos do not download. Add more than 1 to the queue and the Transfer UI shows only one downloading whilst the other is paused. However the paused video appears and disappears from the Transfer UI several times before disappearing all together.
Downloads are sequential, so each download begins only after the previous one has completed (or has been paused/cancelled by the user). There is a bug in version 1.0.1 that causes problems when attempting to cancel or resume incomplete downloads that have been saved prior to closing the application. If you re-launch the application and try to resume or cancel a download, the application will segfault. This bug is fixed in version 1.0.2 that is awaiting QA approval. I have tested this morning using 1.0.2, and adding more than one download to the list works as expected on my N950. Whilst one download is in progress, the others show as 'Pending' if downloads are set to start automatically (the label might be 'Paused' in version 1.0.1, I can't remember when I changed it), or 'Paused' if set to start manually, and are started in sequence. However, 1.0.1 should behave in the same way, as no changes have been made that would affect this.

- Download speed has been very slow. An 11MB file took 5 mins. I had a decent wifi connection.
The download speed is dependent on the YouTube server, which is not supposed to serve downloads. In my experience, the speed varies greatly. Earlier, I downloaded a 19MB file in about 2 mins, whereas I'm now downloading a 7MB file and it's taking much longer than that. I could speed it up by downloading different parts of the file at the same time, but that might cause more problems than it solves.

There have been two reviews in Nokia Store that have mentioned that the application freezes/crashes when attempting video playback, so it would seem that there are some device-specific problems. The vast majority of the reviews have been very positive. It's very difficult to get to the bottom of it, as a) I don't have an N9 (although there shouldn't be any difference), and b) if I did, I may well not be able to reproduce the issues, seeing as it appears to affect a very small number of devices (based on the reviews). I wonder if there is any variation in the firmware that has been shipped with N9s. cuteTube has been tested on both the Beta2 firmware (same as that shipped on the N9) and the latest PR1.1 firmware. Performance seemed to be the same in both cases. The only differences are some small aesthetic changes made to Qt Components and the Harmattan Transfer Manager, but those are not specific to cuteTube.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
cutetube, harmattan, youtube