Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Hej!

First a disclaimer: I started with the maemo sdk today, I did the nokia hello-world tutorial, and I haven't managed to do much more.

I tried to find the answer to my problem in the forum, but no luck.

What I'm trying to do is to open and compile simple-brightness-applet in ESbox. I downloaded the sources from here.

Then I couldn't manage to open the project in ESbox. I tried the method described here:

File -> Import -> General -> Existing projects into workspace. I guess that will only work for ESbox projects.

For importing examples that are not ESbox projects I guess you have to create an empty project and import the files into the project.
The first didn't work because the wizard didn't recognize any ESbox projects in the source directory.

I tried the second way by creating a new project from existing directory, but compilation didn't work / didn't do anything.

And that's it. I'm stuck.
Should I go back and work through any documentation I can find, or is there a quick and easy fix for my problem?

I am aware that I'm acting like a lazy noob, I'm sorry. Any help is appreciated!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Sorry, but (as its author), I don't rely on IDEs and stuff. Just plain ol' Scratchbox and gedit.
I assume you have Scratchbox installed due to your mention of ESbox, so try this:
  1. In Scratchbox, cd to wherever you've unpacked the source. (If not, add Extras-devel to your sources.list in Scratchbox and type "apt-get update && apt-get source simple-brightness-applet")
  2. Run "apt-get build-dep simple-brightness-applet" to get whatever packages it needs to build.
  3. Issue a "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" and hope that it works...

The above should get you a deb. Edit the source if required and keep on building.

P.S. On subsequent builds, you can pass "-nc" to dpkg-buildpackage to have it speed up the process a bit by not having it clean up the files first before rebuilding.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
You living in this forum, qwerty12? :-)
Thanks for the lightning fast reply!

Let's see if i can manage building it...

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
It worked!
Thanks again for the precise description.

Plus, now I have my network access in scratchbox properly configured.

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post: