Active Topics

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I just hope they come up with something great, it would be nice to make Jolla phone as my next phone after N9
it doesn't have be great... n9 has alot of community support and few would say its a great phone!
There'll only be one N900 and i doubt jolla will try to beat it!

My point is.. As long as its mostly open std linux... We'll be there.. Hacking the poo of it, yeah!

Can anyone explain please. Does Jolla use MeeGo name as authorized by the Linux foundation? Or they throw it around in the interviews for PR? Do they really reference MeeGo (i.e. MeeGo project and codebase) in any way, or they solely base their work on Mer (MeeGo fork) adding their UI? I'm asking it in order to clarify their Wikipedia entry, which is way confusing at present, with stuff about MeeGo being all mixed up there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolla

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
nobody has answered my question. why is there so much hope for a team that couldnt deliver at Nokia? and dont tell me there were no resources. there were plenty. and why didnt they leave the company earlier if resources were not there. it took maemo 5 years to evolve into something that was still not as good as competitors. i am afraid that this team is undisciplined and run by poor leadership. instead of tweeting they should be producing. where is the product and will it evolve as slowly as maemo?
Wait.. are you talking about Maemo or Windows Phone? You MENTIONED Maemo but Windows on mobile has been a work in progress for FAR longer than five years and it's still failing to complete with competitors--but everything else you're saying fits the questions we all have about Windows Phone perfectly except they're producing.. and nobody's buying.

Jolla, on the other hand, has only just started up--so they have some benefit of waiting to see what they release as their first foray. Microsoft and Nokia, not-so-much at this point.

i am looking at their history and trying to predict where will it go. company depends on people and ability to execute. ideas are like *******s, everyone has one. and i am not confident that these Nokia bred individuals have the stuff to take on the Silicon Valley
I love Silicon Valley in a personal way. As someone who lived and worked in Silicon Valley for a number of years. I might be qualified to point out what someone who isn't from Silicon Valley already pointed out to you correctly despite lacking my experience: You don't have to be from Silicon Valley to make a product and one that might be better. More importantly, if you're calling Microsoft or Nokia a Silicon Valley company, you're sadly mistaken.

-----

To everyone: Please stop responding to off-topic trolling if you want it to end. Let me remind you that you already know his positions.. why bother arguing or trying to convince somebody that acts like they have an inflexible opinion and possibly an agenda against the very thing you're talking about? Don't ban him--he hasn't done anything bad in actuality.. Just ignore his posts and let the rest of us read and shrug them off. It's just common sense but sometimes I think people need to be reminded.

Personally, I don't mind his posts. It gives me some post history to look back on to see how miserably incorrect he's been so far and it's a source of mild amusement--like looking back at wildly incorrect sports bets and movie reviews that never quite matched public opinion upon release.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Who else is here to keep your irrational exuberance in check.
This makes me think we need a new feature. A SARCASTIC thanks!

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

nobody has answered my question. why is there so much hope for a team that couldnt deliver at Nokia? and dont tell me there were no resources. there were plenty. and why didnt they leave the company earlier if resources were not there. it took maemo 5 years to evolve into something that was still not as good as competitors. i am afraid that this team is undisciplined and run by poor leadership. instead of tweeting they should be producing. where is the product and will it evolve as slowly as maemo?
One word, management.

Look at Microsoft, they supposedly have some of the greatesf programmers in the world working for them, yet Windows 8 is absolutely atrocious! Look at what they are doing to Valve; www.zdnet.com/valve-windows-8-is-a-catastrophe-for-pcs-7000001634/

Jolla has the potential to finally get a real GNU/Linux mobile platform out there in heavy use, and that's what myself and many others have been waiting for. Nokia has always treated Maemo/MeeGo as a bastard stepchild.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

It looks like there are 10 kinds of people that are interested in Jolla in this forums:

0- People that like free software, open standards, hacking, intelectual liberty...

1- Trolls

Please feel free to add your comments in the talk page if you have some concrete proposals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jolla

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
One word, management.

Look at Microsoft, they supposedly have some of the greatesf programmers in the world working for them, yet Windows 8 is absolutely atrocious! Look at what they are doing to Valve; www.zdnet.com/valve-windows-8-is-a-catastrophe-for-pcs-7000001634/
There is great deal of difference between programmers' qualities and operating system design. You can have very good programmers to implement poorly designed high-level abstractions. Most of issues with Windows 8 are falling into two categories:
  • User interface design and user interface interactions (UI and UX)
  • Business decisions surrounding Windows 8 platform usage by MS partners

Note that there were mostly no software implementation issues with Windows 8 APIs yet. Valve complained about performance they've got with OpenGL fixes to their own engine on Windows 7 compared to their own use of DirectX API. Microsoft said they've got much performance increase on Windows 8 for majority of their graphics-related API by moving many pipelines fully to hardware-accellerated paths. I know there is good deal of redesign that went into networking code, like SMB3 protocol design that makes it very good for high-performance networking file system use.

The business decisions that MS makes and particularly hard one on breaking down win32 API and replacing it by a new one to go forward are understandable. They have to do them or set back themselves and make irrelevant for increasingly mobile world. Whether we want to break MS monopoly on PC or not, the era of PC is coming to its end and change is needed. The change is always hard. It is *their* business decision so *they* will be paying their own price for it. The price for not paying it is known: becoming irrelevant.

And this is what Valve and others are complaining about -- the business decision to make win32 API irrelevant in longer run and make largely uncontrolled paths to deliver software to PC users no more tolerated. This is what Valve and others fear because for Valve this is where their business is: Steam as appstore. Without controlling appstore like that they have no way to control their current customers -- both on backchain (game producers, etc) and users. With win32 API derail Steam suppliers will get to invest a lot to rewrite their tools and products for nothing. But losing control of the supply and delivery chain is priority danger for Valve. Same for Microsoft as they are losing both on tied-to-Windows front for 3rd-party applications and their real cash cows, business applications.

MS wants to repeat Apple's success with vertical stack control, from hardware to software to appstores to brand management to data siege with Azure and mobile. They attempted to derail competition to PC on gaming front by jumping to gaming console fight. They attempted to fight back to Apple with smartphone battle. They attempted to neutralize Linux on server side and clouds as far as possible. Now the last fortress is being built on the remnants of PC reign -- not because it was contested within the PC kingdom but because it was made much less relevant.

Yet, they need greatest software engineering mind to implement what their business mind came with to address business challenges. How great is that business mind will be seen through multiple lenses -- software, hardware, partnerships, etc. Old partners don't like to become irrelevant but this doesn't mean there is no need for change.

Last edited by abbra; 2012-08-05 at 17:11.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
AFAIK mer is not a fork?

And btw. I am not intrested to read about people ****ing options bout wp or android or iphone i this thread. Now can we go back to the topic and stop feed the trolls ?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-08-05 at 17:17.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
AFAIK mer is not a fork?

And btw. I am not intrested to read about people ****ing options bout wp or android or iphone i this thread. Now can we go back to the topic and stop feed the trolls ?

Mer is a fork of the MeeGo code base. Is it not? It's not a from scratch project.

And I agree - I'm not interested in discussion about MS in this thread. Anyone who want - let them open another thread and discuss what Valve has to say about Windows or what not. But not here.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-08-05 at 17:19.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla