Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
How about overlaying /usr with unionfs on the 2GB partition, then?
However, good software packages ought to be relocatable. Hardcoding file paths is so last century.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Why not mount /usr from a partition etched from the 32G?

/sbin, and /bin inits should be fine until the mounting can happen in the startup rigmarole. This leaves / for pure system stuff.

I'm sure there are a number of ways to deal with this.

}:^)`

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Why not mount /usr from a partition etched from the 32G?

/sbin, and /bin inits should be fine until the mounting can happen in the startup rigmarole. This leaves / for pure system stuff.

I'm sure there are a number of ways to deal with this.

}:^)`
Performance hit?

But yes, I'm sure this won't be a problem in the end...

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
How about overlaying /usr with unionfs on the 2GB partition, then?
However, good software packages ought to be relocatable. Hardcoding file paths is so last century.
Yeah, an aufs solution is definitely something we could work on from the community side. It's not really ready for a prime-time release on production Nokia software however.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, an aufs solution is definitely something we could work on from the community side. It's not really ready for a prime-time release on production Nokia software however.
Mainly because it requires extra effort at this late stage (e.g. unmount the union when applying an SSU) which isn't likely. /opt is a quick, dirty and hacky solution (which allows the problem to be pushed outside the release window) to the overlooked complete and utter fsck-up which is that no-one at Nokia thought about this more than 2 or 3 months before release.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Thanks for providing some screenshots of some that I have not seen before like the rich-text email editor, calendar views, phone portrait mode screens, PDF reader app, and Documents To Go (Word, Sheet, and Slideshow).
+1.

For my own part the limitations of the Note function of my current SE phone has been one of my prime motivators for starting to look for another mobile phone and then becoming aware of the wonderful open maemo/N900 and its predecessors. So although it may be obvious to any current Symbian user, I would suggest that the excellent preview should confirm that notes is not limited in length and can be saved into a hierarchical structure.

Thanks a lot for all the effort involved in publishing this very informative and seemingly balanced preview!

Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
What worries me as well is the fact that he says the screen is very sensitive to scratches...

Jerz:
"The only thing that worries me when it comes to N900 display is its resistence to scratches and other damages. And it seems to be quite poor. I got the device without any protective case and the display got some awful scratches in just one day, and that's only because some sand grains got into the pocket I kept it in. So a good screen protector or soft carrying case seem to be a must. OK, now..."

What brand screen protectors work well while not affecting screen clarity and sensitivity? I am complete newby in this...
I used invisible shield on Nokia E90, full body, www.zagg.com, works as advertised. I will definetly get one for the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bytales For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Sarajevo, Bosnia
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Can you confirm this? That page is non encyclopedic at all (for a start, it does not have sources), and there have been thousands of reports about it using different models.
Nope. I have found this info on few sites and thought that might be it. We can't know for sure until someone from apple confirms it. Which I doubt will evar happen.
Here is one example:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/...wervr-sgx-535/

Hi guys,

I've just added another video to the preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fymYOITcTiY

and also uploaded the original file to easy-share:

http://www.easy-share.com/1907987836...mbian.com).mp4

Best regards,
Michal Jerz
My-Symbian.com

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to My-Symbian.com For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by My-Symbian.com View Post
Hi guys,

I've just added another video to the preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fymYOITcTiY

and also uploaded the original file to easy-share:

http://www.easy-share.com/1907987836...mbian.com).mp4

Best regards,
Michal Jerz
My-Symbian.com
The original file mp4 is considerably better quality than the youtube version - even when watching HD.

Must say I am fairly impressed. Would love to see the first two videos in original format.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post: