So I have been lurking around these forums ever since I got my n900 from the nokia store in nyc the first weekend it came out. I did not have the patience to wait a month or two until amazon or buy.com would ship me a phone for ~200 dollars cheaper. I got to admit there were some things i didnt like about the phone in the 3 months or so i used it. I read people ranting online on how it was an undeveloped Linux box that wasnt ready for end users and better suited for power Linux users and enthusiasts. Then i saw peoples responses that the phone was what was advertised and buyers should have done more research before paying that much money. Well i coulld see why some people where pissed but i could also see how this phone was amazing. I even registered for a linux course in my university so i could be better pals with my n900. I have decided to keep the phone and adapt to it and make it the power phone it is. I was pretty happy learning linux and i even got a Aminus on my first test. Now for the problem.
I wake up one morning and my phone dosent turn on. Its not even showing as charging. So i do the smart this and try a different outlet but its still unresponsive. Okay so i decide to try the usb cable. Dosent work. I push harder on the usb cable and i see the LED flash for a second and then fo back to off. I do this a couple times and every time i push the usb cable it shows a glimmer of hope and responds but as soon as i take pressure of the cable it goes back to dead. Okay so i figure there is something with the usb connector. I quickly look at talk.maemo.org and see that some people have been having problems with the usb connector when it comes out of the phone. I try to wiggle my connector but it remains tight and dosent come out. So i call nokia and they give me a shipping label and i send it to nokia repair. Today i check the status and it says my phone is out of warranty because of either water damage or physical damage and i should call them tom to discuss what to do and if i want to purchase a new one. I never dropped this phone or got it wet, I treated it like my baby. I dont even have a single scratch on the screen and i dont have a screen protector. I am pissed that i now essentially have a 600 dollar paperweight and i think this is really messed up on nokias part. Im going to call them tom and complain but i seem to think they have the last word. Im a college student who spent his lunch money on this phone and now i am screwed in the butt by nokia. Sorry i just realized that i haven't been capitlizing the i's i am sorry.

EDIT: sorry i forgot to state my purpose. I need some help what should i do. I cant afford to sue nokia for 600 bucks . Its not fair that i am losing this much money on a problem that is nokias fault.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
If it is a damage connector, don't back down. Nokia Care has claimed they're "aware" of the issue, so there's no reason for them to try to claim it as physical damage.

Be polite, but do not back down.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Just to re-iterate what GeneralAntilles said, don't back down! Keep pushing NOkia and telling them it's not your fault!

When I first heard about the N900 and it's micro USB port, I was worried it was going to be flimsy, micro USB is just not sturdy enough!

HOWEVER THERE is a proper way of inserting the USB cable/charger! You MUST ensure it's perfectly level and inline with the usb port, DON'T EVER push/pull hard, it doesn't require much force.

The port is very flimsy and even as a careful user - I think this WILL eventually fail.

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by doksarmy View Post
So I have been lurking around these forums ever since I got my n900 from the nokia store in nyc the first weekend it came out. I did not have the patience to wait a month or two until amazon or buy.com would ship me a phone for ~200 dollars cheaper. I got to admit there were some things i didnt like about the phone in the 3 months or so i used it. I read people ranting online on how it was an undeveloped Linux box that wasnt ready for end users and better suited for power Linux users and enthusiasts. Then i saw peoples responses that the phone was what was advertised and buyers should have done more research before paying that much money. Well i coulld see why some people where pissed but i could also see how this phone was amazing. I even registered for a linux course in my university so i could be better pals with my n900. I have decided to keep the phone and adapt to it and make it the power phone it is. I was pretty happy learning linux and i even got a Aminus on my first test. Now for the problem.
I wake up one morning and my phone dosent turn on. Its not even showing as charging. So i do the smart this and try a different outlet but its still unresponsive. Okay so i decide to try the usb cable. Dosent work. I push harder on the usb cable and i see the LED flash for a second and then fo back to off. I do this a couple times and every time i push the usb cable it shows a glimmer of hope and responds but as soon as i take pressure of the cable it goes back to dead. Okay so i figure there is something with the usb connector. I quickly look at talk.maemo.org and see that some people have been having problems with the usb connector when it comes out of the phone. I try to wiggle my connector but it remains tight and dosent come out. So i call nokia and they give me a shipping label and i send it to nokia repair. Today i check the status and it says my phone is out of warranty because of either water damage or physical damage and i should call them tom to discuss what to do and if i want to purchase a new one. I never dropped this phone or got it wet, I treated it like my baby. I dont even have a single scratch on the screen and i dont have a screen protector. I am pissed that i now essentially have a 600 dollar paperweight and i think this is really messed up on nokias part. Im going to call them tom and complain but i seem to think they have the last word. Im a college student who spent his lunch money on this phone and now i am screwed in the butt by nokia. Sorry i just realized that i haven't been capitlizing the i's i am sorry.

EDIT: sorry i forgot to state my purpose. I need some help what should i do. I cant afford to sue nokia for 600 bucks . Its not fair that i am losing this much money on a problem that is nokias fault.
Persevere! I have my N900 now for 4 months and no issues with physical integrity

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Just keep pushing Nokia. As stated earlier, be polite and explain you haven't done anything to it. Make them tell you what could've happened and tell them it didn't. There is no reason for you to not get it repaired, if it's not your fault. Just don't back down cause the first guy tells you it's not their problem.

I don't think the usb will ever fail. I've never understood how people have had problems with it? Probably stabbing it in the wrong way around or somming :/

The Following User Says Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
When complaining mention that you do not believe the phone was fit for purpose. im not sure were you live but in the UK this is something that the the person dealing with the matter cannot ignore. if you feel that you were not a fault i am sure this should work. especially as GeneralAntilles says that have already claimed they are aware of the issue

do some research there are loads of info on the web

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/it-is-not-fit-for-purpose/

Go take a look at this thread, it seems a regular thing that nokia are doing to get out of repairing phones. I really think something should be done about this it seems abit of a con on nokia's part

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1316

Okay so i decide to try the usb cable. Dosent work. I push harder on the usb cable and i see the LED flash for a second and then fo back to off. I do this a couple times and every time i push the usb cable it shows a glimmer of hope and responds but as soon as i take pressure of the cable it goes back to dead.
Hmm... part of the design of the Micro-USB spec is to move the connecting springs out of the socket and into the cable this is supposed to make the socket much more robust than mini USB and at the same time the cheap and easily replaceable cables the more likely point of failure. The description of applying pressure to the cable matches my experience with a worn micro USB charger, switching to a new one solved the problem. Naturally if your charger has died your phone will run out of juice all too quickly.

I have no way to tell if this is the problem you have and i don't want to take anything away from the people who have suffered from broken sockets but it might be worth investigating before assuming a dead device.
I hope you can get this resolved without having to buy a new device )-:

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
you do understand that if you battery drains completley it wont charge in your n900.
try charging you battery another way like in a 5800 or something or try grab another battery with a little power in

I called nokia this morning and they said that the reason my warranty was void was because of a 2 inch crack on the screen which definitively wasn't there when i send the phone in. I called ups and filed a claim but they only reimburse up to 100 dollars. Nokia didn't even say anything about my socket, just that the front display was cracked but if i paid the 103 dollar repair fee for the front screen then i will be guaranteed that it will be in working condition when i receive it back meaning that the socket will be fixed as well. So basically i lost my warranty thanks to the ******* in the ups store and hopefully ups will pay 100 dollars to repair the phone.