Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Nvys isn't far off the mark, although a bit extreme.

the daily mail is very solidly middle class little england and is against anything that is not mum, dad 2 kids and a dog. single parents (unless they work) immigrants, people on benefit, all routinelly get attacked.

I cannot stand the paper, but have a read though the online stuff and check out some of the comments.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Disappointed the N900 wasnt mentioned. It was more of a real challenger to the iphone. In fact i know people who saw it as the best alternative to apple. Guys and girls included.

8210 was the start of nokia love for me.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
well. the author of the article thought that iphone was first with internet. But nokia N9000 N9110 N9210 N9300 N9500 was wayy before iphone...

while still on the subject, it was very stupid of nokia to hide these smartphones from the public and then later drop S80 development when iphone came.
the communicatorline (not E90 which isnt a real communicator but a S60 dumbphone) had everfything that iphone lacked, like multitasking cutnpaste, integrated officesuite and so on.
They also had stuff that the N900 lacks like a good sms-email functionality, contact searches , subfolders for contacts and so on.
Also, because later models had a desktop modelled after windows it wasnt limited to 4/9 homescreens but instead had a folderstructure similar to desktop computers.
nokia should have continued that path instead of dropping functionality and making their phones as dumb as possible.
Newton too. They're great but just not hitting the market at the right time. What a shame.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
kinda stupid nokia doesnt sell only smartphones.

i think most of profits come s40 devices.

nokia share price have more to do with stupid idea of going exclusive wp7. a poor selling platform.
Exactly. Nokia had nothing to compete with the iPhone, they didn't even have any technology in the pipeline that could compete with the iPhone. The iPhone was too dumb, too simple. The iPhone was a simple task swicher, a rip-off of Palm in both look and functionality, and Palm was crashing. Nokia was heading in a different direction with communicators, N and E series devices, advanced devices full of technology and functionality, maybe way too much for the average Joe, at least way too fiddly.

The N9 is the one, and Nokia knows it all too well. Due to Microsoft being slow in setting up localized ecosystems services for WP, the N9 will be the top model from Nokia in most of the world at least a full year after the launch of Nokia-WP in selected markets. That those selected markets happen to be North America and the core of Europe, should theoretically give WP much more than a fair head start. But, the N9 (and only the N9) will be available at those locations in Europe where innovative software development actually happens; The Nordic and Eastern European countries and a couple of others.

The iPhone is loved by the general public. The N900 is loved by hackers and geeks. The N9 will be loved by everyone, it got it all. Nothing will be able to stop such a beast once it is unleashed. This doesn't mean that WP will not carve out a decent market share though.

As a side note. Just installed Gingerbread in my N900. It's smooth and fluent all right even on the N900, but in general it's just a piece of crap. Symbian Anna is is more intuitive and easy going, even though it still got some left overs from S60.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
some-daft-cartoon
Say what you punk!!!

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ The Northpole
hey folks iphone 4+ and 5 are just around the corner too. that could put a "hulk hogan" choke hold on our nokia chuck norris. not to mention s2 et al coming up fast and hw wise pulling ahead. putting so much faith on n9 is a real leap. i for won´t buy it. i´m holding out for n950..if it aint too plasticy. nokia will need to wait another year to get my hard earned cash. hope they survive that long.

The Following User Says Thank You to bills2north For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
I live in Africa and to be honest, Nokia Is selling a big part of their low-end & middle-end phones here. There is a phone for all the pockets and for all the needs. Just a few of Us are buying High-end Smartphones

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
am surprised they didnt blame it on immigrants... but on topic we'll have to wait and see how the windows phone does. if it dies fast that could be it for nokia if they dont admit there wrong with windows and maybe move to symbian or harmattan. but elops too stubborn to ever admit that he was wrong

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
am surprised they didnt blame it on immigrants... but on topic we'll have to wait and see how the windows phone does. if it dies fast that could be it for nokia if they dont admit there wrong with windows and maybe move to symbian or harmattan. but elops too stubborn to ever admit that he was wrong
Elop is just doing what he is told. But I have to wonder, Nokia ended up in this situation because they were arrogant, didn't understand the market, didn't understand what customers wanted, and eventually was not able to deliver what the customers wanted.

The N9 is exactly what the customers want, but now they are, seemingly at least, too stubborn to really go for it. It is like they are telling the customers; You don't really want the N9, you only want some bits and pieces of the technology, and we may give it to you in some future devices, not in a complete package like the N9, but spread out on several devices. Nokia - you are wrong!!!

IMO the N9 ball has already started rolling, and there is no way of stopping it. If it all ends up with Nokia going down the drain and someone else continuing (with the N9) where Nokia left, so be it. They got no one else to blame but themselves for being stubborn and arrogant.

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, mantis boy, n9 rox, success: sold 7