Active Topics

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
I still consider MicroB the best mobile phone browser I've tried. Explorer in Lumia is pretty good but to me MicroB is still better, I do not like the browser on Symbian (808) or N9.
MicroB is showing its age but I like how it shows the full versions of the sites, the mouse mode with left-right swipe, the zooming rotating with the fingertip clockwise or the long press context menu :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fatalist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Fatalist View Post
I still consider MicroB the best mobile phone browser I've tried. Explorer in Lumia is pretty good but to me MicroB is still better, I do not like the browser on Symbian (808) or N9.
MicroB is showing its age but I like how it shows the full versions of the sites, the mouse mode with left-right swipe, the zooming rotating with the fingertip clockwise or the long press context menu :-)
Exactly. I also like:

-full visual history swipe from right to left or by long pressing the "back button"

-selective per site cookie options

Enhancements I would appreciate apart from the usual updates:

-context" open link new window" to run in background (stay on current page while new page loads)

-quick button for Javascript on/off per page (like Mini Browser on Symbian)

-save as PDF (like firefox)

-save user agent per web page

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
At the moment using two Nokia N900s, with an extra three backup N900s at home.

The active ones are both running CSSU stable, until I sort out what happened to a N900 on Thumb heavily crashing and needing a re-flash. Backupmenu had not been working properly saving for weeks, perhaps due to data corruption..I'm still not sure what went on. So, for now staying in Stable and installing mostly from Extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
I have been since 'dam in 2009 I guess, as I managed to 'make' one out of spare parts recently. This is pretty much the 4th one, due to 2 being returned, and being 'gifted' a 4th along the way.

Though I've just fallen foul of the 'not charging' bug after the battery died. So i might either have to give Mario Kicherer's 'how to' on flashing from the SD a whirl, as it's not booting to flashing mode presently.

Or finally replace it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tonypercy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
"not charging bug"??
no surprise when a device doesn't enter flashing mode when battery is not sufficiently charged - for whatever reason.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
@joerg_rw no I'm using my n810 to charge. That's not the problem. The PC detects it as mass storage. Doesn't charge from adapter, or at most the indicator goes yellow, the phone vibes, and 'pulses' yellow a couple of times, even though I've switched that indicator off.

Seems to almost be like a Apple MacBook SMC issue that 'appears' when you left the battery bloat and die.

The usb could well be on the way out. 2 of the 4 suffered that problem.

One really odd thing. It retains the date and time now, when left without a battery for hours.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
the first few yellow flashing cycles are done by NOLO afaik (99.5% certain about this). Charging depends on rootfs - when that's broken (BME software defect) then the device won't charge. When PC detects device as mass storage that means that USB ENUM works, and when it starts up from power-off on plugging in USB that means that USB VBUS rail is providing power to device. So your USB should be technically OK. When device doesn't enter "NOKIA" screen plus USB icon when powering it up while holding "u" key, that means your battery voltage is too low for flashing.

PS: "indicator going steady yellow for a few seconds" usually means battery is very low, since that's done by bq24150 hw charger chip - without any support from CPU - to bring device out of lowbatt-deadlock (see "emergency charging"). As soon as, by emergency charging, battery voltage went up enough to make CPU boot up, NOLO bootloader will stop the steady yellow and instead program the LP5523 to make indicator pulse yellow. This usally happens in milliseconds after plugging in USB to a powered-down device, so no steady yellow will normally be seen, unless battery is *way* too low to even boot up the device at all.

bottom line: I suspect your battery is dead, not your N900. Your N900 could use a full reflash though, to fix obscure issues with charging. To do this, you need a known-good fully charged battery.
HTH
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-02-13 at 12:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I'm inclined to think a BME defect. That's how it feels.The new battery could be at fault though.

My laptop usb might also be on low power mode.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
yep maybe your laptop usb power is not enough as i encountred pcs that just dont flash i.e similar and even a damm pc which coud not provide enough power to charge a hidlon banner appears saying 'device using more power then its reciving from pc '

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
OK,

peter here -- also still using my n900 since 2008. Not the first one anymore (broken screen, usb-port problems), but a working device and a handfull in spare.

Brings me to the point: Any good introduction for a nOOb to flash the n900 back to factory state? I've aquired a couple of them and they have some obscure settings that I can't get rid off.

And then I'm up to installing on one of the devices all the little gadgets to play around .. without affecting my "workhorse" n900 :-)

thanks for tips already

peb

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900