Notices

Recently, I have not been able to download routes from Maemo Mapper. I simply get a "generic error" response. I've tried uninstalling MM, deleting the ./Maps/ directory and content, and reinstalling.

Does anyone have any ideas? This has been going on for over a week now.

Add a bug to the Maemo-mapper bug tracker, or grab the source and debug the error.

I don't know how to debug the error from source, but I have a feeling it is something else. This version of Maemo Mapper was working, and now it's not... just puzzles me that after a clean reinstall, it didn't work again. Looks like other peeps had the issue in the past with no luck resolving it.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
I don't know how to debug the error from source, but I have a feeling it is something else. This version of Maemo Mapper was working, and now it's not... just puzzles me that after a clean reinstall, it didn't work again. Looks like other peeps had the issue in the past with no luck resolving it.
Are you saving to an MMC card? Could the card be corrupt (and therefore readonly)?

That's all I could think of, and that's happened to me, before.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Check whether the card is readonly by issuing the "mount" command in the terminal, the card (/media/mmc1/ should show rw as its mount option, rather than ro).

It may also be something to do with the server which provides the routing data.

Again, best to add a bug on the Garage project bug tracker.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I, too, am seeing the "Generic Error" when attempting to download a route. However, it only happens for me when I am connected to the internet through my cell phone. If I am on my WLAN connection, downloading routes works just fine.

According to the "Help" menu I am using version 2.5.1, but according to the Application manager I am using version 2.5.2-os2008.

I have checked the results of the mount command and the mmc cards are mounted and in 'rw' mode. I also do not suspect memory corruption because I have other data which I can access with no problems, some of which is the maps that I can view with maemo-mapper.

Ah, good catch MrCarney. Will have to try this outside while connected to my WLAN. Though, not sure why it worked via cell before and not now. I suppose I can try changing the directory in case it is a corrupt card, but somehow, I don't think that's the issue. (The card it's writing to is my 8gb partitioned card so I can boot off of it.)

hordeman,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. There were a couple of things that hit me last night at 12:30:
1. Yank the mem card and give it a go. The mem card only holds maps for me, and you don't need maps to download a route. -- I still got the error.
2. Then I re-read your post about how nothing changed, you just started getting the error. That sounded like memory corruption to me, but if you changed nothing else, then it must be maemo-mapper corrupting itself. This lead me to the following:
cd /home/user/.maemo-mapper/
mv paths.db paths.db.bak

And everything worked!
Give that a go, let me know what behavior you see.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
McCarney I ran those lines in the terminal and it fixed this problem.

I was experiencing the same thing.

I know 0 unix, could you explain what mv paths.db paths.db.bak did exactly? and therefore, what was the cause of that issue?

And Thank you very much!

dantonic,

The 'mv' command just moves/renames the file. This gave maemo-mapper a "fresh start" with it's persistent storage. In other words, I think that the "paths.db" file was corrupted in some way, and this command just force maemo-mapper to recreate it. I am not aware of all of the side effects that this command will have on maemo-mapper, but it doesn't seem to be too harmful. After looking at the "paths.db" file, it appears to be an SQL database file that holds the track and route waypoints and paths.

I noticed that the problem has returned for me. I'm not quite sure why.

I did just fix this issue (shame on me for not noticing it earlier)!

After fixing that, it appears to be working again.

It seems bizarre to me: everything works when I'm connected to my cell phone inside my house. But when I'm on the road, I get the generic error. I'll have to do some more traveling to see if the problem persists when I'm away from home.

Tags
error, generic, maemo mapper, routes, routing