Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
The title was taken directly from the linked article. Quite an interesting read, explaining how Google took the negotiations for 700Mhz auctions in it's own hands.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=5855

Here’s the dirty little secret about Android: After all the work Apple did to get AT&T to relinquish device control for the iPhone and all the great efforts Google made to get the FCC and the U.S. telecoms to agree to open access rules as part of the 700 MHz auction, Android is taking all of those gains and handing the power back to the telecoms.
Despite the ugly truth that Android is enabling the U.S. wireless carriers to exert too much control over the devices and keep the U.S. mobile market in a balkanized state of affairs, Android remains the antithesis of the closed Apple ecosystem that drives the iPhone and so it’s still very attractive to a lot of technologists and business professionals.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
It is not Google handing the power back to the telcos, but the customers. Unless people realize that it is against their own interest to buy subsidized crippled devices, the telcos will be omnipotent. All economic reasoning that one may provide to support the current ridiculous situation in the US would disappear if only enough people would choose to break from the popular "plans" and "upgrades".

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
lol us mobile market

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luomuhappo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
All economic reasoning that one may provide to support the current ridiculous situation in the US would disappear if only enough people would choose to break from the popular "plans" and "upgrades".

Economics says they won't

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
Interesting article. The funny thing is, high-end phones in the US aren't even free, they come with some laughable $250 subsidy and the user still pays more than half of the full price, while signing up for 2 years of steep monthly charges. In contrast, in some European countries you get the phone for a symbolic price when you sign a subscription, but you also are informed of the minimal cumulative price that you are going to pay during the period of said subscription.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Oakbrook, IL (West of Chi-Town!)
Why I went back to T-Mobile. Atleast I can buy an unlocked phone and pop any sim in it. I got my N900 and am just going to sell the phone they gave me, lol. Just like every other business in the US, all about GREED! (talking to you Gordan Gecko!).

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I dislike opinion pieces where the writer sells their conclusions (HARD) before they present strong supporting facts. Even worse if they don't sufficiently backup their claims AT ALL.
Well, for me, as a European, there were a couple of things mentioned I did not know about. I may add that I am also a brand new smartphone/tablet user that used to hate mobile phones and would only buy/get phones that had no other functions than phoning and the ability to send text messages. As such I never looked closer to the market and the way things stand. Hence the link to the article.

It also brought me a new link I did not know, thanks to jnwi

Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
That reminds me of an article I read about how Americans insist on paying more for their cell phone plans. Basically it's apparently preferable to pay a constant $40 per month for 400 minutes (of which they use, say 200), than to pay $30 month 1, $41 month 2, $28 month 3, etc.

Economists are quite confused.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I dislike opinion pieces where the writer sells their conclusions (HARD) before they present strong supporting facts. Even worse if they don't sufficiently backup their claims AT ALL.
Boom. Especially posts that are on large sites.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Not much choice in the USA... I got the cheapest plan possible for my Samsung Captivate, and its still $55 a month! Sadly this is cheaper than buying a phone unlocked (Galaxy S or N900 are basically the only choices in the category) and using it on T-Mobile as I got the phone subsidized for $50.

I do not need 450 freaking minutes! I mostly use Skype and stuff like that for my chatting, and my family all has At&t so its free mobile to mobile. However I half applaud them for creating tiered data. Its so much cheaper for me ($15 a month less) as my campus has blanket WiFi. 200mb is more than enough for when I am off campus...

I did not like the article too much, I did not understand why it blamed Google and the manufactures and even Apple and the carriers. You do what works and makes the most money, not what is some random persons ideal situation...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.