Notices

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
I recently set up my N810 to work as a free wifi phone using Google Voice, Gizmo, and the most excellent DialCentral (thanks epage!). In the process, I did a lot of searching on this forum and elsewhere. I found a lot of really useful information here, for which I am grateful.

I found all the information I needed, but it was spread throughout multiple threads and pages, and it took me most of an afternoon to get it working. After all that effort, I felt that step-by-step instructions could be a real time-saver. To that end, I've written a blog post with detailed instructions for setting up Gizmo and Google Voice on the N810. You can find it here.

I hope this will be helpful.

Admins: I apologize if this is bad form. Feel free to slap my wrist and delete this post if it shouldn't be here.

Last edited by hornartist; 2012-01-16 at 05:06. Reason: Update

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to hornartist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Well done, nice job.

Way cool. Now I just need my darned Google Voice Invite.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
Nice! I got my invite last week and I finally get enjoy the VOIP flexability the people with grand central had. Perhaps this should be in the wiki?

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
I got an invite, but can't use it. Seems there is a downside to living in soviet canuckistan afterall

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Hey, I got my Google Voice invite earlier this week and even though I see some of the 'benefits' with transcribed voicemails, etc I'm not sure how/if I will really end up using it.

I've been a Skype user for a long time. I use Skype more than any other phone service these days. What, if any, benefits are there to switch to Gizmo (and is there any integration points to Google Voice that Gizmo has that Skype doesn't?)?

Thanks!
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
So THATS why DialCentral was not working. I did not choose a CallBack number. Wow, I am dumb! Thanks for making me look into this!

Advantage of Gizmo over Skype is that you can use the built in IM client, which is always running and very light. And calls are free with DialCentral.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
If you use the stock maemo Internet call client, how do you get to the dialpad to press "1" and answer a call?

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I've been a Skype user for a long time. I use Skype more than any other phone service these days. What, if any, benefits are there to switch to Gizmo (and is there any integration points to Google Voice that Gizmo has that Skype doesn't?)?
First and most important is that it would be free for calling and receiving phone calls. Skype you have to pay for skype out and skype in number. Not to mention you have free SMS with Google Voice. Using Dialcentral and adding Google Voice Notifier Alpha, this has be the best ever.
Second, using the built in client is very light weight and always running in the background. The skype app doesn't want to log in automatically when changing wifi spots. with the client it logs in as soon as the NIT is connected.
And now you can still call skype users with gizmo for free(just keep it under a 5 minute call) using opensky.

I was a heavy skype user for calling phones while traveling. But for longer phone calls skype tended to start getting choppy. I haven't noticed that yet with SIP using Gizmo.

Last edited by icbolsh; 2009-07-18 at 07:46. Reason: insert link

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
If you use the stock maemo Internet call client, how do you get to the dialpad to press "1" and answer a call?
here is instructions from hornartist's webpage:

Click “Connect.” Google Voice will call the phone number. When you answer, you will be asked to enter the code displayed on the website. This part is a little tricky with the N810. As soon as you answer the call, tap the “Internet Call” program menu. Under “Internet Call,” select “DTMF dialing.” A numeric keypad will appear on which you can enter your activation code. After you have entered the code, you will be told, “your forwarding phone is set up. Goodbye.”

use the same pad for dialing "1".

Last edited by icbolsh; 2009-07-18 at 07:56. Reason: found answer

The Following User Says Thank You to icbolsh For This Useful Post:

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice, instructions, n810