MID-optimized | Desktop-optimized

Google Voice allows one to make and receive free* phone calls throughout the United States to and from cellphones, landlines and computers.
  • Computer <=> Computer is 100% free
  • Computer <=> Cellphone uses cellphone anytime minutes
  • Computer => Landline is 100% free
  • Landline => Computer tunnels through GV so "standard distance charges apply" in regards to calling the GV #.
  • Cellphone => Landline uses cellphone anytime minutes. No charge to landline.
  • Landline => Cellphone landline user must be very careful (see above). Also uses cellphone anytime minutes.
    SMS is free for GV user, not free for cellphone users.

EDIT: "standard distance charges apply" ^
---------
Who this tutorial is for:
  • People who do not have a cellphone/landline
  • People outside the US
  • People who already have a GV account
---------
Step 1. Receive Google Voice invite.
Step 2. Copy URL to text editor for future usage.

Step 3. As per OS download Linphone

Linux users

Ubuntu
$ sudo apt-get install linphone

Fedora
$ su -
# yum install linphone

Windows (x86)
Download and install newest version here: http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/sav.../stable/win32/

(opitional) Step 4. Create new Firefox profile (if you already have GV account)
Linux
$ firefox --no-remote -P

Windows
Edit a Firefox shortcut and append to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" --no-remote -P

OR

cmd.exe and cd "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" and then firefox.exe --no-remote -P

(optional) Step 5. Register at spamgourmet.com

Usage keyword.#.username@spamgourmet.com forwards to your primary email account without revealing it and limits spam messages to between 1 and 20 (the # specified). For example sipgate.5.n810user@spamgourmet.com

Step 6. Register at gizmoproject.com
Nokia Internet Tablet Users
you can follow this step or install the Gizmo5 client now to your Nokia 770/N800/N810 from the Communications menu and register from the client.

Others users go ahead and register @ https://my.gizmo5.com/gizmo5/app?class=MySip;proc=start

Check your primary email address and click the link, you will be redirected to Gizmo5 account overview (scroll down), write down the SIP number (starts with 747)

Step 7. Register at sipgate.com/one (use Google Maps to find a US address; be courteous please)
(a)

use of spamgourmet email address recommended.
(you might need a proxy to register for a US phone number as the form registration detects location but I have not tested this)

(b)
WHY DO I NEED TO DO THIS?: Recently Google Voice updated their system and now in addition to checking for US numbers, it must be a "physical phone" or at least they must think this. A Gizmo5 number alone is not allowed to fulfill this requirement. Additionally one may not input a number that is already registered and associated with Google Voice. You may not delete all physical phones (but you can replace with another). Plus you may need input a GV number as a forward number and it will infact tell you that it is a GV #. (In the future sneaky people such as myself will be able to determine if a number is a GV # simply by entering it as registration forward # as well as if a physical line is attached to a GV # by entering it a forward #).

(c)
Check primary email and click link from sipgate.com to activate account.

(d)
Choose area code from drop-down (arbitrary) and copy number given. (Keep in mind that on OCCASSION they give a faulty number and if so need to repeat registration.)

(e)
"Proceed with selected number", then Skip the download, enter Gizmo5 # (optional but it tends to prevent faulty SIPgate numbers) and "ring this phone" don't worry it doesn't do anything. Now click "Account set up successfully. Proceed to account".

(f)
Click "Settings" near the top

(g)
Copy SIP-ID into text file for future usage. Copy SIP-password for future usage.

Step 8.
Router Port Forwarding
This can vary GREATLY depending on your router so if you don't have Linksys then head over to portforward.com and look up your router.

You need to forward:
5060 as udp
5004 as udp
10000 as udp
8000-8012 as udp
3478-3497 as udp AND 3478-3497 tcp ("BOTH" for some routers)

If you don't know what your local IP is then open terminal (Linux) and issue the command $ ifconfig and then find where it says inet addr and make a note of it. Windows users can open command prompt and type in ipconfig. Be sure that you pick the appropriate IP address of the connection you are using. It should be something like 192.168.1.102 and absolutely NOT 127.0.0.1 and be sure to input this local IP address when you forward the ports.

Step 9.
Finally onto where it can get tricky.

(a)
Open linphone (in gnome it's under Applications>Internet) or just open terminal and type in linphone

(b)
Go>Preferences
Under the Network Tab, under the NAT heading select "Specify firewall address manually" and input the IP address given from a site such as http://www.whatsmyip.org/ which might give you a number like 12.345.67.89 AND also change the RTP port to 5004

(c)
Go to the SIP tab and change the SIP port to 5060
Identity should be the SIP-ID that sipgate gave you earlier and should be @sipgate.com

(d)
Add proxy/registrar
SIP Proxy is "sip:sipgate.com"

Press OK and quickly enter the info into the next dialog box that appears.

(optional: ONLY IF YOU MESSED UP)
(e)If it doesn't appear or you miss it. Then select the blank rows under "Account" and remove all of them, then press "Clear all...", Apply, OK and exit linphone. If in Linux open terminal and $ killall linphone

Now re-open, check to be sure the settings are the same and try step 9d again.

(f)
Input SIP-ID and SIP-password into dialog box and press OK quickly (before it disappears)

Press Apply, OK and then exit linphone.

(f)
Call the following Sip address (include sip
sip:10000@sipgate.com

"Account is now setup you can place and receive calls. Goodbye." is what it should say verbally. If it says something about setting up your voicemail then either the ports you selected aren't open or step (e) was inputted incorrectly.

Congrats if you made it this far as you are almost done.

People that have a physical US phone didn't have to go through these steps, but so what. Google knows their phone number and you can do as you please.

Step 10.
Pick the gmail address/account you wish to associate with your google voice account. If you want a new account for this purpose now would be a good time to create one.

Remember if you are outside the US, you need to set your browser to use a proxy of a US IP address.
(a)
Paste the invite URL into the address bar

(DO NOT do this if your browser does not support AJAX; workarounds for you mobile users coming up later; 770, N800, and N810 users disregard this as your browsers are full-featured)

(b)
You should see something like this:

(c)
So you are going to want to do select a GV number carefully.

Search by area code, zipcode...
(remember landline call-out charges long distance to numbers outside of the city even if it's same area code)

You can also search by keyword for vanity numbers.
(d)
Now select a 4 digit PIN number to access your voicemail (this can changed later)

(e)
Time to enter in SIPgate phone number as forwarding number

(f)
Now it calls this number to confirm, so in Linphone be sure to check "show more" and select the DMTF tab

and enter the 2 digit number it gives into linphone and it is confirmed as a physical phone.
You may at this time wish to add your Gizmo5 number (747)###-#### to Settings>Phones type "gizmo" and uncheck the SIPgate phone.

Step 11. Gizmo5 client
If you haven't already installed the Gizmo5 client now would be a good time.
N800/N810 users (770 users must have OS2008HE)

if you haven't registered you can easily do so

usage and confirming account

Desktop Linux
Download appropriate package from http://gizmo5.com/pc/download/linux/ and install with your package manager
Windows x86
Download .exe installer http://download.gizmo5.com/GizmoDown...zmoInstall.exe
Cellphone Java installer direct links
"Full version" http://gizmo5.com/download/gizmo.jad
"Lite version" http://gizmo5.com/download/gizmo_mini.jad

Conclusion
Now let's give Google Voice a look-see

Custom greetings, email and SMS notifications (voicemails transcribed to text and sent via text message if you want), call screening or not, etc.

Add forward phones

Settings per contact group

Sample voicemail

Usage
  • Call GV number from cellphone/landline. Get to voicemail and dial pin number. Then press 2 and the number you wish to dial.
  • [Nokia tablet users] install Dialcentral, the icon is by default will be in Menu>Extras

Login to GV account via Menu>File>New Login

Dial destination number

Recent calls

Text Messages (SMS)

Contacts

"About"/login info: GV # and forwarding #
  • Press star/asterisk (*) to switch between phones on the fly

---------
thanks to:
  • epage (talk.maemo.org)
  • Maemo.org
  • Google
  • SIPgate
  • Gizmo5
  • Nokia

(P.S. Needs formatting+image-resizing cleanup for optimal 800x400 viewing, sorry. Also ideally would be in Software>Communication but DNE.)

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2009-09-06 at 06:23.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Excellent stuff. Thanks!
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Houghton Lake, MI
Having just received my GV invite this is timely and exciting. I'm sure it took you a long time to do this for everyone, that was very kind, and much appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to ChiaOwl For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the awesome guide, though I don't understand the usage of linphone? Is it for people who are outside the country and need to mask themselves inside the USA? Because for phone calls from the computer you could also just use the Gizmo client on there too.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
@linuxeventually

Thankyou for the detailed how to..

I have a n810 and I live outside the US. I have a GV invite and I followed every step you had given (including using proxy as I am not in the US)..

I have proceeded until step 9-f where the setup verification call using sip:10000@sipgate.com goes through and I can hear the msg you mentioned through Linphone..

However through Google voice, I am not getting the verification call. GV says it keeps trying and then dies down. Also I tried calling the SIPgate california number provided through my landline to verify (expecting my linphone to ring). But all I hear is a voice mail msg..

I have also tried reregistering with Sipgate and with diff numbers with the same result.

Appreciate if you could let me know how I can get past the GV phone number verification stage to start using the Google voice service through my n810.

TIA - Shin

@shin
linphone is very buggy. There are other SIP phones that might be more reliable. Check to see if the ports I mentioned are all open http://www.canyouseeme.org

Umm I'm gonna be away for awhile but the first thing I recommend is to clear all the settings in linphone and then re-enter the info. Make sure the ports are working. Does it say when you call via 1000@sipgate.com "account setup...goodbye"? There is also a test phone link in the sipgate.com settings. If this doesn't work and I'll have to check through the my instructions when I get back, I'll go ahead and and do the activation for you if you'd like. After activation you can use Gizmo or whatever.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the response.. I have already checked the following a few times:

- Port opening on my netgear router.
- Clear settings on linphone to create profile for the 2 new SIPgate numbers I created.( I use Linphone on WinXP)
These look good. However I will check the port opening again through canyouseeme.org and report back, once I am back home.

Also in place of Linphone, I used Wengo/Qutecom with similar results.. Called the Sipgate number through my landline number, so that my linphone/wengo would ring. But I hear a voice mail msg on my landline phone and both the Linphone/Wengo does not ring(though they are online)..

They same happens with GV too as it tries calling my Sipgate number for verification.. the call does not go through

I will check on the port opening and report back

Thank you for the response.. I have already checked the following a few times:

- Port opening on my netgear router.
- Clear settings on linphone to create profile for the 2 new SIPgate numbers I created.( I use Linphone on WinXP)
These look good. However I will check the port opening again through canyouseeme.org and report back, once I am back home.

Also in place of Linphone, I used Wengo/Qutecom with similar results.. Called the Sipgate number through my landline number, so that my linphone/wengo would ring. But I hear a voice mail msg on my landline phone and both the Linphone/Wengo does not ring(though they are online)..

They same happens with GV too as it tries calling my Sipgate number for verification.. the call does not go through

I will check on the port opening and report back

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Thanks linuxeventually!

I going to be spending the rest of the night trying to go through each one of your steps to see if I can't get the same results.

This sounds great if I can get it to work.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Since Gizmo is now down, I've installed Dial Central and it only allows me to Login Via GrandCentral, everytime I try to go to file>new login it only prompts a Grand Central login. Any thoughts?

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice, gtalk2voip, linphone, sipgate, voip