Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
You mean, like Palm, with their half-assed HW and half-baken OS?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No. Like Symbian. That is what is failing big time.

Nokia continues to kick butt. Nothing like a little Spring cleaning to setup the Fall.

Colin Giles to leave Nokia, Nokia streamlines sales management

Dude's been there 20 years. Ouch.

Not sure if this is any news to anyone... I was reading through the corporate pages and found the published PDFs for the Annual General Meeting. There are several to read through here

This is a proposal for changes of the Board of Directors

PROPOSAL BY THE CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND NOMINATION COMMITTEE FOR COMPOSITION OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Jorma Ollila, Bengt Holmström and Per Karlsson have informed the Committee that they will no longer be available to serve on the Nokia Board of Directors after the Annual General Meeting. Mr Ollila joined Nokia in 1985 and served as the President and CEO of the company 1992-1999 and Chairman and CEO 1999-2006. He has been Nokia Board member since 1995. Mr Holmström has been Nokia Board member since 1999 and Mr Karlsson has been Nokia Board member since 2002.

The Committee proposes to the Annual General Meeting that the number of Board members be eleven, consistent with the provisions of the Company’s Articles of Association. Based on past experience and the current business situation at the Company, the Committee regards eleven as an appropriate number of directors for the needed diversity in experiences and skills to do the Board’s work effectively.

The Committee proposes that the following current Board members be re-elected as members of the Nokia Board of Directors for a term until the close of the Annual General Meeting 2013: Stephen Elop, Henning Kagermann, Jouko Karvinen, Helge Lund, Isabel Marey-Semper, Dame Marjorie Scardino, Risto Siilasmaa, and Kari Stadigh.

In addition, the Committee proposes that Bruce Brown, Chief Technology Officer, The Procter & Gamble Company, Mårten Mickos, CEO of Eucalyptus Systems, Inc., and Elizabeth Nelson, independent corporate advisor, be elected as members of the Nokia Board of Directors for a term until the close of the Annual General Meeting 2013.

All Board member candidates have been determined to be independent under the rules of the New York Stock Exchange and the Finnish Corporate Governance Code, except Mr Mickos, because of his position as CEO of Eucalyptus Systems, Inc. that has a business relationship with and receives revenue from Nokia Siemens Networks, and Mr Elop because of his position as President and CEO of Nokia.

The Committee's aim is continually to renew the Board to ensure an efficient Board of international professionals with a diverse mix of skills and experience. The Committee considers potential director candidates based on the short-term and long-term needs of the Company and the Board and may retain search firms or advisors to identify director candidates.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Nokia owned forum where open source and open minds keep good conversation going. And I own the devices so entitled to say what I want bud. As for the ban, I concur: ban all the extremist Taliban we got on this forum. You included.
This is not a Nokia owned forum. It's the forum of the Maemo community. People here come to discuss and collaborate on Maemo and related projects and topics.

What is this thread doing in the MeeGo / Harmattan subforum, I don't know. How a discussion among smart and passionate people sharing so much can go so surreal and off-topic, I don't know either. What I know is that your willingness to help Nokia and Lumia could be well invested in better ways. For instance promoting Lumia among potential Nokia customers. Most people here are actual Nokia customers, please let them enjoy their preferred Nokia devices.

PS: I work at Nokia in the Developer Relations team, mainly as community manager of http://qt-project.org but also active here. My long term focus is the Next Billion strategy I'm sure you have heard of. What many people here see with antagonism is actually complementary in the Nokia strategy and daily work. I just talked about your passion here to my colleague John Kneeland, who focuses on Lumia and Windows Phone ---> https://twitter.com/#!/SirKneeland Contact him, he can put you on exciting tracks promoting these products and everything behind them.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
for us to be here, some dinosaurs have to die.
so, i think we should see the future ( not the immediate one ), and live to see people on mars.
if nokia will still be here, is less important. as someone say two post before, people continue their lives outside nokia. it is just a job. next.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Nokia continues to kick butt. Nothing like a little Spring cleaning to setup the Fall.

Colin Giles to leave Nokia, Nokia streamlines sales management

Dude's been there 20 years. Ouch.
Coincidental timing?

Windows Phone marketing manager quits after five months

Seems like they're dropping like flies. Appropriately, you usually DO see a lot of flies buzzing and dropping all over steaming piles of bad stuff. Just saying.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
PS: I work at Nokia in the Developer Relations team, mainly as community manager of http://qt-project.org but also active here. My long term focus is the Next Billion strategy I'm sure you have heard of. What many people here see with antagonism is actually complementary in the Nokia strategy and daily work. I just talked about your passion here to my colleague John Kneeland, who focuses on Lumia and Windows Phone ---> https://twitter.com/#!/SirKneeland Contact him, he can put you on exciting tracks promoting these products and everything behind them.
Finally--someone trying to turn enthusiasm for the platform toward explaining WHY it's any good instead of scribbly, graffiti rantings grating against the crowd here. I wish you all great luck--although, I'm incredibly inclined to bet against these efforts. Still, good luck!

Also.. oh man! I can't WAIT to see how Lumiaman handles this. haa! Ahem.. but still. Seriously. Good luck. No pressure! ...but the entire platform is counting on you.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Coincidental timing?

Windows Phone marketing manager quits after five months

Seems like they're dropping like flies. Appropriately, you usually DO see a lot of flies buzzing and dropping all over steaming piles of bad stuff. Just saying.

Finally--someone trying to turn enthusiasm for the platform toward explaining WHY it's any good instead of scribbly, graffiti rantings grating against the crowd here. I wish you all great luck--although, I'm incredibly inclined to bet against these efforts. Still, good luck!

Also.. oh man! I can't WAIT to see how Lumiaman handles this. haa! Ahem.. but still. Seriously. Good luck. No pressure! ...but the entire platform is counting on you.

Hey dummramos.....I always wondered why you are here. At least I own Nokia devices, while you only rant and rant about the obvious. I judge based on what I experience, while u seem to spew bile from your armchair without knowing what you are talking about. We can talk ad Nashua about this or that. At least I have a stake in this game. You don't. So get lost to android world and enjoy your droids

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Hey dummramos.....I always wondered why you are here. At least I own Nokia devices, while you only rant and rant about the obvious. I judge based on what I experience, while u seem to spew bile from your armchair without knowing what you are talking about. We can talk ad Nashua about this or that. At least I have a stake in this game. You don't. So get lost to android world and enjoy your droids
First... there was never a requirement, last I checked, of owning a device to be here. This is an open forum geared around a particular topic but there isn't a "poll tax" of owning a device.

Secondly... I do own several Nokia branded devices, one of them being a Nokia N800 running Maemo (if you bothered, you might have known that). But again, I'm not sure why that should be a requirement and I don't think it is from what I'd read when I joined ages ago when it used to be called InternetTabletTalk.

You're ALREADY failing at paying attention to the wisdom of Qgil's statements above. You're going to be fun to follow.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This is tantamount to an endorsement of Lumiaman's behaviour here, and as you are a representative of Nokia I don't think it is appropriate, and certainly doesn't make Nokia look good. He is trolling pure and simple, you can't miss him referring to those that disagree with him as "taliban", and that is surely a clear enough sign of it. Quite frankly when someone is deliberately trolling, they are often just doing it for kicks, so can you really tell that he is passionate about Lumia products and not just trying to get a reaction (and succeeding), surely as someone who presumably cares about Nokia (since you still work for them) you want people who will represent your company well and not piss people off.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun