Folks, we all know that the Nokia 8* is the best thing since sliced bread, but one thing that it doesn't do, as it comes out of the box, is "internet everywhere."

As long as you can connect to a WAP you're golden - the N8* can and will do everthing from Net to phone calls. I can even log into remote shells on my servers through OpenVPN! It's why I got the device in the first place.

But, since if you're not in the presense of an Open WAP you can't get onto the Net I started looking at alternatives like the iPhone and Android devices.

And then, I stopped. IS there a way to solve the "internet everywhere" problem with the Nokia 8*???

Cell phone? Dongle? Pay service?

I'm not looking for another cell phone to be honest, I just want to get my Nokia N810 on the Net if I'm somewhere randomly in downtown Boston or back in Ithaca, NY, etc.

Is there a way? Who amongst you has solved this problem and how?
---
Doc Kinne

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Bluetooth to cell phone
USB modem
WiMax Edition

Those are the three choices...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by kinnerc View Post
And then, I stopped. IS there a way to solve the "internet everywhere" problem with the Nokia 8*???

Cell phone? Dongle? Pay service?

I'm not looking for another cell phone to be honest, I just want to get my Nokia N810 on the Net if I'm somewhere randomly in downtown Boston or back in Ithaca, NY, etc.

Is there a way? Who amongst you has solved this problem and how?
---
Doc Kinne
I use Boingo for some location (airports). But more frequently I use open Wifi (hotels, shopping centers).

USB modem? Have we gotten that to work? What models? What providers? Is that 3G only or would that work with plain old GPRS/GSM?

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Bluetooth to cell phone makes sense, but where can I find out details for that? I have a simple cell phone that does do bluetooth, yes, and I can probably figure out how to pair the two up, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

USB modem also sounds good. I'm assuming a converter would convert a regular USB connection to the USB micro connection on the N810. What I'm thinking about in this respect is something that would be a USB "radio modem" via Verizon or something. Have folks used that?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Be sure to check the wiki. Bluetooth Network Enabled Cell Phones and Bluetooth PAN.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by kinnerc View Post
Bluetooth to cell phone makes sense, but where can I find out details for that? I have a simple cell phone that does do bluetooth, yes, and I can probably figure out how to pair the two up, but I'm not sure where to go from there.
I tether my Verizon LG Dare (VX9700) to my N810 all the time when I'm out and about and at work. It's nice because the phone itself has bluetooth 2.1 EDR, and EVDO rev. A data. The speeds are quite fast, and I can even stream last.fm radio via vagalume while tethered. I find this option to be the most convenient for me because I carry me phone and N810 with me just about everywhere. Depending on your cell phone carrier, go to www.phonearena.com for very detailed specs about released phones, and glean pretty accurate tech specs about up and coming new phones as well. This will tell you usually what bluetooth profiles are supported by the phone (DUN=Dial Up Networking), and if it's high speed data or not. Verizon has only a few phones that support this, and that are EVDO rev.A data capable. I'm not sure about other carriers, but AT&T's network has snappy data speeds and more worldly available GSM network phones that can support this, i.e., Nokia phones. If you're considering a data plan, check out this coast to coast test done by gizmodo too. Good luck, and ci hope this helps. http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/f...t-3g-data-test

The Following User Says Thank You to joeD For This Useful Post:
PHS300, plus a usb cell modem (I use the Pantech UM150 since it has signal strength LEDs). Most cell phones can't do voice and data at the same time, but you can also attach a cell phone. Full speed over WiFi and it works on other things.

Bluetooth can't normally do full EVDO rev A speeds.

I've had one over a year. Two hours battery give or take. Order an extra battery and/or car charger (radio shack type N plug, 5v, just over 1A).

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=673
http://www.evdoforums.com/viewforum.php?f=26

They also have antennae, boosters, accessories, and sell EVDO service - and know more about it than probably anyone else.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Actually, kinnerc, the bluetooth phone solution is essentially "out of the box" given that it's mentioned in documentation and supported by wizards. I'd hazard to bet that at least 80% of the owners here have used a bluetooth phone as a modem at least once.

My older Verizon cell phone (VX8100 IIRC) had the Bluetooth DUN profile disabled by default. I had to enter the hidden system menu ("Menu", "0", "00000" (at the password prompt)) to enable the DUN profile (which is what you need to use your phone as a tethered "modem".)

That being said my current Verizon phone (VX8350) shipped with the DUN profile enabled. I do (well, actually work does) have to pay for the "broadband tethering" package, though. This is a separate line-item above and beyond the "mobile web" option.

The Following User Says Thank You to soap For This Useful Post: