Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ack.... yeah, that USB debacle certainly relates...

And I do agree it is an exceptional example. But then again, I've been heavily moderating the thread. Note without censorship of any kind.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
But, I don't see how this serves to alleviate any FUD. There have been no concrete statements from Nokia that would really alleviate FUD for current or potential owners.
Actually there have been concrete statements from Nokia, starting off against the consumer (not what you were looking for I know) and very recently switching around 180 degrees to acknowledge the issue and confirm that it would be covered... so I don't understand that statement...

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-01 at 17:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So what about a "What can we realistically expect..." wiki page + thread under N900 subforum
Sure, and if that Wiki page has one solitary entry - Maemo6 made available for N900 - would that be considered a problem in terms of a "realistic expectation"?

After all, Maemo6 is just software that will - apparently - be running on pretty much the same hardware platform as the N900 (ie. OMAP3).

What technical reasons are there that would make the availability of Maemo6 on N900 an unreasonable expectation?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Honestly, the noise doesn't bother me very much. The whole Internet is one seething mass of noise. That's what search engines are for!

There are got lots of fun, constructive things going on in these forums, from theming discussions such as making your lock screen look like a pac-man game or your IMs look like a conversation with speech bubbles to applications like fMMS, HDR pictures with the N900's camera, a new version of FlipClock, etc., etc....

As for the sudden noise levels in here:

If someone who had previously been reasonably healthy suddenly gets nasty, itchy red bumps all over his body, you don't take steel wool and try to rub the bumps off, or try to cover them up with make-up, or yell at them to get off of his body, you try to find out what is causing all of the red bumps.

Look for the cause, stop fighting the symptoms.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ack.... yeah, that USB debacle certainly relates...

And I do agree it is an exceptional example. But then again, I've been heavily moderating the thread. Note without censorship of any kind.

EDIT:

Actually there have been concrete statements from Nokia, starting off against the consumer (not what you were looking for I know) and very recently switching around 180 degrees to acknowledge the issue and confirm that it would be covered... so I don't understand that statement...
And for that I (and others) thank you.

Nokia's statements have been getting better, but...
1) the "confirmation" of coverage was still vague
2) it was only posted on Nokia forums by an employee (who may not work for Nokia tomorrow, know what I mean)?

An official press release would go a long way, particularly with less vague language. I still don't know what will happen if my connector breaks in 366 days, most likely I am SOL due to (imho and yours) a design flaw.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic....

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
WARNING: DISINGENUOUS SELF RIGHTEOUS SPAM ALERT

Here are some threads that I think need more attention than this one:

Click

But please, continue. This is very entertaining. Actually helping to fix things is so boring, and we can all use a break.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
I`m a total noob with Linux, but I already fell totaly in love with my N900. I don`t blame Nokia for silence. R&D is a cruel biz because of competition and you have to be careful about what you say. I know that because I work in a similar business. I also don`t care if Meego will run on N900 or not. I`m happy with Maemo5 right now and I`m sure I won`t be forgotten. Support will be provided and if not by Nokia then at least community will help. If next device will be with more features hardware wise (and I´m sure it will) then I`ll be anyways tempted to buy it. I like innovation and that`s why I prefer Nokia over Apple.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andres For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
What technical reasons are there that would make the availability of Maemo6 on N900 an unreasonable expectation?
Well, except for the "Maemo 6 isn't a thing anymore" one?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
I think it's easy to feel abandoned because (as far as I know) there are no "official" plans to do anything other than minor bugfixes on this platform.

Maybe I just haven't found the "official Nokia announcement page" yet - can anyone point me to one?

I think it would really help if there was a simple, semi-official "roadmap" page that listed what we can realistically expect from Nokia, what "might" happen, and what's just make-believe (better Maps, Flash 10, QT 4.6, Maemo 6, etc). Is this what you meant, qgil? It's a great idea, but I feel that it will only add to the confusion unless it is backed by real information from Nokia.

At the moment all I know is hearsay from these forums, misleading chatter from the tech blogosphere and press releases from Nokia which may or may not apply to me (e.g. "Free navigation on your Nokia. Forever." ... what do I believe ???).

I think you've asked a really important question & I hope we manage to improve the atmosphere here.
/me takes his nokia hat on:
We haven't been very forthcoming about the content being created for the next releases of maemo 5. I can assure you, there is a lot of great content being developed, and you should be able to get your hands on it soonish.

Roadmap page is a great idea in my opinion, the only issue being in it the dates, which we don't want to commit to. But I'm sure a roadmap can be built without such. I'll take the action of following that up.

The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
/me takes his nokia hat on:
We haven't been very forthcoming about the content being created for the next releases of maemo 5. I can assure you, there is a lot of great content being developed, and you should be able to get your hands on it soonish.

Roadmap page is a great idea in my opinion, the only issue being in it the dates, which we don't want to commit to. But I'm sure a roadmap can be built without such. I'll take the action of following that up.
Something like THAT is all I want from Nokia. I don't need dates necessarily (Target months/quarters would be nice, but not crucial).

1. It shows that Nokia wants to improve its relationship with its customers.
2. It shows someone is taking personal responsibility to work on #1.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Roadmap page is a great idea in my opinion, the only issue being in it the dates, which we don't want to commit to.
I understand that, but some idea of dates would certainly be useful. If you look at the way normal linux distributions do it as an example, many have target dates, but also targets for development. It's understood that if there are blocker bugs or incomplete features then the dates are allowed to slip.

This ties in with the undelayed bugfixes proposal, the (planned?) migration to a fully public bug tracker, and other moves to properly open development. If you can commit to releasing code when it's ready, and let people see how ready or not it is, dates suddenly become much less important.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post: