Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Saved the whole page as PDF, just in case
The original document page is also mirrored at http://b-man.xceleo.org/doc/MeeGo_Handset_UX.htm
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Saved the whole page as PDF, just in case
Why do you zip up a single pdf? Zips look some kind of dangerous to me in any case but more if a single file gets zipped up.

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Why do you zip up a single pdf? Zips look some kind of dangerous to me in any case but more if a single file gets zipped up.
PDF attachment limit is 19.5KB, so i had to zip it. Blame it on the forum designers

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
i got a jail breaked iTouch and when i re-boot it, i see a pear with a bite instead of apple

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Reading through the doc, I'm wondering exactly how much this is about the open-source MeeGo Reference Handset UX and how much it is about the Nokia closed-source MeeGo-Harmattan UX. This is because the doc refers to Ovi more than once, which obviously is a Nokia-only thing.
I also see references to "debian packages" and Maemo. I expect this document originated from Nokia, possibly started back when Harmattan was planned to be released as Maemo 6.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
A couple of things worth highlighting:
  • The filesystem hierarchy won't be visible to the user. Instead, tags will be used to separate/manage content. I assume this applies to both the File Manager (if it even has one) and File Open/File Save As dialogues. Of course, third party hierarchical file managers could be created.
  • If an app has a toolbar, rather strangely this will appear at the top of the window in landscape and at the bottom in portrait. I'm not sure why both orientations don't have the toolbar in the same place.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
A couple of things worth highlighting:
  • The filesystem hierarchy won't be visible to the user. Instead, tags will be used to separate/manage content. I assume this applies to both the File Manager (if it even has one) and File Open/File Save As dialogues. Of course, third party hierarchical file managers could be created.
  • If an app has a toolbar, rather strangely this will appear at the top of the window in landscape and at the bottom in portrait. I'm not sure why both orientations don't have the toolbar in the same place.
If you're like me at least, when you hold your phone landscape, you have thumbs from both hands to tap stuff at the top easier than at the bottom - just from the way I position my hands

OTOH, when holding portrait, hitting the top of the screen with thumbs is awkward.

It might make sense. Dunno.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Judging by that document, the MeeGo UX is GODLIKE and PERFECT.

Must resort to caps since I can't quite contain myself.

To me it feels like a good mixture of being modifyable, but still very user friendly. Especially appreciated the bit about how user input must be followed without any lag.

Has anyone read the UI part fully?
What are your thoughts?

Banana&Pears includes a subliminal message: the first two letters make BP, I guess this is how they try to get into your head into not thinking about the oil dump!

Man, Im impatient for the mobile internet device with phone functions from Nokia.

The N900 just seems now outdated :P