Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Wow, I have enough karma to run if I wanted to.

Everyone run for the hills!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hurrah, with mullf on the council, maybe Nokia will give us a hardcase for the N900!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hurrah, with mullf on the council, maybe Nokia will give us a hardcase for the N900!
I know you're joking, but let's not pretend that the council has any input on hardware choices; and little input on software choices (although we represent the platform's application developers and their desires for particular APIs/designs/documentation etc.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I know you're joking, but let's not pretend that the council has any input on hardware choices; and little input on software choices (although we represent the platform's application developers and their desires for particular APIs/designs/documentation etc.)
Say... that little Archos looks kinda cool
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/26...ps-by-the-fcc/

Just saying. Wonder if the Maemo council would take the initiative to contact them and other hardware manufacturers about bringing maemo on this little thing in addition to Android.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Just saying. Wonder if the Maemo council would take the initiative to contact them and other hardware manufacturers about bringing maemo on this little thing in addition to Android.
This is why people calling it the "Maemo Council" is so harmful. We do not govern the platform, it's licensing or it's development. We are facilitators for the Maemo Community, and that's why it's called the Maemo Community Council.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Say... that little Archos looks kinda cool
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/26...ps-by-the-fcc/

I hope that's a joke. Archos locks their stuff down tighter than almost anyone else despite using Linux on their tablets. They are *not* open to... well... anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Archos locks their stuff down tighter than almost anyone else despite using Linux on their tablets.
Actually, they seem to be moving away from Linux, the newest entries in the Archos arsenal are Android + Win7. This is how they solved the problem of the OSS community pestering them about GPL, code, their own promises, and, well, anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually, they seem to be moving away from Linux, the newest entries in the Archos arsenal are Android + Win7. This is how they solved the problem of the OSS community pestering them about GPL, code, their own promises, and, well, anything.
...which just serves to underscore the difficulties of straddling the profit/openness line. Companies desiring to try it need to conduct some really serious thought experiments beforehand...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Wow, I have enough karma to run if I wanted to.

Everyone run for the hills!
^ nominated

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Another day, now with my profile privacy settings corrected, and my Karma is still at 3. :-(

Tags
community, council, election, register, representation, vote