Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Not only I don't see benefits (not even for power users, since those will repartition/remove the FAT32 partition entirely either way)
repartitioning is NOT a piece of cake!

but I see added complexity -- since any modification to the default system scripts would need to handle units with the older layout.
my current modifications already work with both old and new layout.
I plan to release them in an updated ke-recv package.

In fact, ANY modification to the currently relatively understood simple system will probably make it harder for people to create their custom layouts, unless it's specifically directed to simplifying it - like for example removing the autogenerated fstab nonsense.
I don't consider the current system simple but a mess.
What do you think about future Maemo devices. Should Nokia stick to the current approach (forever)?

hildonfm is opensource; you can edit it and name the folders per your liking.
image viewer, media player and camera app are not open source

(This deserves its own solution entry : ) I've come to like the idea of a user-friendly extras GUI app where you can resize the FAT32 ("user documents & music storage") and ext3 ("application storage") partitions. What do you think?
Despite IMHO not being a solution (unless you can click on "replace FAT32 partition by image") every user-friendly app is a good idea
How would you shrink and grow mounted ext3 home partition?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by titan View Post
image viewer, media player and camera app are not open source
While camera has MyDocs path & camera safe folder path hardcoded (this is a bug, feel free to file it, but iirc it was filed already), neither media player nor photo viewer do. The file open dialogs are in hildonfm, and for the rest they use Tracker either way.

While camera has MyDocs path & camera safe folder path hardcoded (this is a bug, feel free to file it, but iirc it was filed already), neither media player nor photo viewer do. The file open dialogs are in hildonfm, and for the rest they use Tracker either way.
ok, thanks. I'll try changing MYDOCSPATH again, but IIRC camera then always
fails... (yes, I had filed the bug)

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Titan,
I really like your idea. It seems it would solve all the problems I am having in a simple way. Could you write a detailed how-to and/or script? The description in the other thread is confusing. For example, how best can we get files from the current, perhaps full, FAT partition onto the new ext3 partition? If a lot of people do this and it works well, perhaps Nokia will adopt it.

Originally Posted by titan View Post
Despite IMHO not being a solution (unless you can click on "replace FAT32 partition by image") every user-friendly app is a good idea
How would you shrink and grow mounted ext3 home partition?
ext3 supports online resizing of filesystems. So this wouldn't actually be that difficult for someone that is familiar with the partitioning/resizing filesystems.

I've resized several ext3 partitions while they were running. But not for some time now.

This may only work with growing the filesystem, not shrinking, and it may require a kernel patch that the n900 may or may not have.

So I guess really.... it *should* be possible.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
What about adding solution #1 as a command line option for the flasher tool? maybe something like "--partition=ext3".

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
What about adding solution #1 as a command line option for the flasher tool? maybe something like "--partition=ext3".
1UP! Especially if one could eliminate the "image container" for usb exposure completely and simply expose the home partition directly. I run linux everywhere, I don't need a container for compatibility!

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by bastler View Post
1UP! Especially if one could eliminate the "image container" for usb exposure completely and simply expose the home partition directly. I run linux everywhere, I don't need a container for compatibility!
i don't need it too but camera don't working if MyDocs isn't FAT32.

Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
Titan,
I really like your idea. It seems it would solve all the problems I am having in a simple way. Could you write a detailed how-to and/or script? The description in the other thread is confusing. For example, how best can we get files from the current, perhaps full, FAT partition onto the new ext3 partition? If a lot of people do this and it works well, perhaps Nokia will adopt it.
I'm working on an updated version of the ke-recv package which should be able to
* deal with both the standard layout and the single-partition layout
* support export of virtual images via loop device
* perform partition resizing during boot before mounting /home
the another project will be a "repart-flash" package which will contain scripts
to grow the ext3 and shrink the FAT partitions online (or to get rid of FAT)
and to setup virtual fs images.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
ext3 supports online resizing of filesystems. So this wouldn't actually be that difficult for someone that is familiar with the partitioning/resizing filesystems.
ext3 only supports online growing, not resizing in general.
so that's only a one-way solution. but see above..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post: