Active Topics

Poll: What's your ultimate N9 OS solution?
Poll Options
What's your ultimate N9 OS solution?

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
I Was dabbling in making Android applications, and needed a device to test them on, but now..

INever understood this"ecosystem" business until it was so obviously shoved in my face. Particularly with games, Ijust got plague, angry birds, and flow free, all for free, and they're awesome.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed multitasking (or whatever you'd call Android's implementation). simply push the windows button and all running applications are shown, and all you have to do to close them is swipe them away.

Ironic that the Swipe UI is just not friendly at all when you need to close something.
Swipe to multitasking, hold down finger, click on tiny little red cross, then select done.
(fwiw, if someone could figure out how to implement a better system this would really help system interactions)

And lastly, the smoothness.

I Actually feel JB runs better than MeeGo.

The only time the Android-vm system seems to slow it down is when playing intense games, although I will say fruit ninja JB is substantially slower than apkenv fruit ninja.

I'm not sure if I could resist permanent Android if it was working flawlessly, what about you?

Last edited by optimaxxx; 2012-10-29 at 01:30.

For multitasking though, you can close it by swiping down on an application window.

We'll have to see what Jolla has to offer though, therefore I must wait before I vote

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
But what if I want to close an older window?
Android is one button and a swipe
MeeGo is a swipe, long-hold, small button, larger button
or if you want to reopen and slide it closed, it's:
Swipe, select, (pause for any reloading), then swipe again, and then you have to navigate back to your previous application..

The Following User Says Thank You to optimaxxx For This Useful Post:
Honestly, to me the only reason to get android is for 'apps', and I'm used to the multitasking method, plus I have the faster transition mod.

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Has this changed in JB from ICS?
I ask as I'm wondering if you're referring to the "recent list"... swiping an app from there doesn't necessarily kill it, it only removes it from the displayed list of recent apps (notice the current app is never listed). It's either already dead, or still running after you swipe it away. To actually stop a running app is a royal pain in android, requiring you to launch "settings", scroll down to apps, select the "running" tab, scroll though the list of apps and services, select the one you want to kill, then click "stop". Kind of a pain, really.
That's why there are so many app killer apps out there.

What you've described, however, sounds exactly like WebOS... to kill an app, you just fling it off the top. You can also pull down like stretching a slingshot's bungie and shoot it off the top. The TouchPad even has an Easter egg when you do it upside-down. Maybe the Jolla guys will borrow that from OpenWebOS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
But what if I want to close an older window? . . . MeeGo is a swipe, long-hold, small button, larger button
or if you want to reopen and slide it closed, it's:
Swipe, select, (pause for any reloading), then swipe again, and then you have to navigate back to your previous application..
In all honesty, I never use the 'done' button on the multitasking screen. You can create the same effect by touching any area that is not covered by the thumbnails (ie between thumbnails or on the edge of the screen, or in an unoccupied area). It goes very quickly when I choose to close programs from the multitasker.

TBH, I think I usually do the downswipe closing gesture, unless I intend to close all programs (or at least several of them).

To answer the thread's central question, I don't think anyone's seen enough of Sailfish to consider it, and I don't know enough about that to comment. But with respect to the other options, I would prefer the dual boot.

I really like the swipe UI, and it was a big part of why I got the N9. I have really enjoyed it, but getting a taste of having Android apps work on this device (with apvenv) makes it clear to me that when a flawless dual boot becomes available, I'll be all over it. Though I'd prefer an application compatibility layer that ran Android apps in Meego OS, I think. Performance would be my decision-making factor.

Right now, I'm just waiting for the Nitdroid project to iron out all the kinks, I suppose.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
I'm running Paranoid Android 2.52 (jellybean CM10 custom ROM) on my Nexus 7 and it is the bee's knees. Strips out a lot of bloatware GApps, lets me limit it to one homescreen (and free up the ram), change colours, decide whether i want tablet, phablet, or phone UI, etc etc.

Very nice.

I also love my N9 (more than i love JB, that is).

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I didn't really understand the topic since I think the title says something and the poll talks about another thing and your post says totally a different thing. But as I understood:
1- I use Android on my N9 for some games (Bad Piggies, Doodle Jump & Temple Run)
2- My MeeGo OS is much smoother than Android on my N9.
3- I would still prefer MeeGo than anything in the world. The best solution for the N9 to have SailFish ported to it.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
CM10 nightly on a SGS2.

It's fine, I guess. Holding the home button to multitask is mildly annoying.

The N9 is still my main phone.