Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Spokane WA
I have searched a lot here and am having trouble finding answers to the title of this message. Could someone explain the best way to get updates and install packages that have the Incompatible application package message. I had gps_clockd giving me this error until I went into red pill mode.
I just reflashed to the latest os 2.2007.51-3 after trying a suggestion from someone else to perform the following. It put my tablet into a reboot cycle. Would show the hands and play the sound but then would turn off and reboot.
xterminal
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
then when that completes
apt-get upgrade
(answer y to the 2 questions about downloading and installing stuff)
What is the best way to be up to date and install the packages that you would like? I saw someone say they used dpkg -i. I searched for that but didn't find an explanation.
Thanks,
Isaac.S

if you add any extra software at all, or rather add any extra repositories at all (you most likely do) then DO NOT run apt-get upgrade. It runs a high risk of uninstalling nokia installed core functions.

If you want to update a specific program, then yes apt is the best way, but all you need to do is
apt-get update
apt-get install application

where application is the app you want to update.. if there is a new version for it or its dependencies it will register that and offer the update.. just be sure you read carefully the messages it produces before you hit yes so you don't delete things you don't mean to.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
you can also get apt-get to tell you what it would do, without doing it:

apt-get update && apt-get -s upgrade

then pick the apps you want to update.

just to note: I've never used red pill, nor found a need for it. It shouldn't be necessary. Installing the ssh server, to gain remote root access, and using "sudo gainroot", should suffice for all your needs.

Originally Posted by isaacs View Post
I have searched a lot here and am having trouble finding answers to the title of this message. Could someone explain the best way to get updates and install packages that have the Incompatible application package message. I had gps_clockd giving me this error until I went into red pill mode.
I just reflashed to the latest os 2.2007.51-3 after trying a suggestion from someone else to perform the following. It put my tablet into a reboot cycle. Would show the hands and play the sound but then would turn off and reboot.

What is the best way to be up to date and install the packages that you would like? I saw someone say they used dpkg -i. I searched for that but didn't find an explanation.
Thanks,
Isaac.S
To use dpkg -i you must first download the package. Use e.g. the browser, or use your desktop computer and copy the .deb over to a card. Then you can do 'dpkg -i packagename.deb' (as root).

(Or, for that particular gspd_clock problem, go to the original thread and read my posting there: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...813#post163813)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have used dpkg -i about one time since I bought my N800 in January 2007, so it's not something you need to know much about.

I dunno; there are a number of useful pkgs that are not yet available in repositories; I've used it a fair bit...

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Spokane WA
Thanks for the clarifications everyone. I partly posted this because I searched and no threads had this for a title. I think it is a pretty common noob issue and thought it would be great to have a thread devoted to the subject.
Is it necessary to flash to the latest version all the time or are there incremental updates that would suffice and then only do major upgrades?
Thanks,
Isaac.S

at the moment, core OS - rather than pkg - updates require reflash. The new OS, expecting very soon, included with the Wimax n810, but also to be available for existing n800/n810, will introduce a new OS update method.

but it's likely that this new OS will require flash to be itself installed. From then on (i.e. for updates *after* the upcoming one), flashing shouldn't be required