Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Probably uses sub par everything except core and memory. Hence android. Most of the memory iss full anyway. Build quality looks like a dvd cover.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Volt, I have to say something odd. Despite the increasing storage on phones, I'm finding myself using that storage less and less. I rarely carry music around now, less so on video. I do carry eBooks and CBR's (comic books) around, but they're usually deleted once I'm done reading them.

I don't like that the Nexus 4 is lacking a microSD. But after the 16GB N9 which I didn't fill to even half capacity on my heaviest uses. I didn't really miss the microSD. I have a 16GB Nexus 7, not even worrying about space despite a few big games being installed.

I just wished that the cloud storage was optimized. Google Music is actually working ideally for me, so is Amazon MP3 for music. I don't really play much on the phone though, if at all.

I think the lack of microSD should drive them to push their cloud and online/offline capabilities a bit more before they start doing this as the norm though.

The price though, unlocked at that price in the States? I'm happy about that part. Let's hope others fall in line with that. Tired of subsidized prices and lack of freedom. But that's another subject.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
At first it seems like good value.

But no user replaceable battery, and nowhere to put my music collection SD card. Subjectively for me, that's at least £100-150 in lost value right there.

So all things considered, I'd consider other things first. If I wanted an LG, I suspect I'd compare the Nexus 4 with the Optimus 4X first.
Wait a second, how many songs do you have? With Google I read that you get to store up to 20,000 songs for free on their servers, which is enough for me, but everyone's situation is different.

The Nexus 4 looks like a killer deal to me, whether you go for the 8GB or the 16GB versions. Here's another link:

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

I am on T-Mobile, so this would be a very strong contender.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Wait a second, how many songs do you have? With Google I read that you get to store up to 20,000 songs for free on their servers, which is enough for me, but everyone's situation is different.
But then you need to use a data connection to access them. Also, what happens if/when the server goes tits up, or Google decide to change the terms and conditions. I'd rather have my media/data stored locally.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
I agree that 16/32/64 gigs is enough for most people (for now), but cmmon, is it that hard to put a uSD slot into a phone? It makes the phone much more versatile.

There are many things I would never want to put online, period. So much for cloud storage. Granted, for certain data it's useful - but for everyday use (multimedia) it's a huge waste of energy and resources, not to mention the increased data costs.

Keyboard? Nah, we have vkbd... Removable battery? Nah, changing batteries is a hassle... FMTX? Nah, there's online radio... Storage? Nah, we have the cloud...
What's next, removing the headphone jack because a phone has bluetooth?

PS. I blame it all on Apple.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
But then you need to use a data connection to access them. Also, what happens if/when the server goes tits up, or Google decide to change the terms and conditions. I'd rather have my media/data stored locally.
Let me play devil's advocate here...

Wondering about if the terms and conditions will change around the storage is the same as wondering if your favorite phone will be supported through tomorrow.

It all may change at their whim, not with any thought whatsoever of our convenience. Just our pockets.

But as it stands, enjoy what you have today. It may well change tomorrow.

Either this configuration fits for you, 8GB/16GB without a microsSD but with a cloud storage for your music, or 16GB/64GB without a microSD but with you managing your music from your own computer.

Oh wait... you can do that also on the 8GB/16GB configuration too.

16GB can be a bit anemic. But the cloud part helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wondering about if the terms and conditions will change around the storage is the same as wondering if your favorite phone will be supported through tomorrow.
Gerbick, I disagree here (or I didn't get your point).

When you buy a phone, the hardware is yours. The on-device storage is yours. Legally, the manufacturer can't access or wipe your data as it pleases.

With cloud storage, your data is much much much more vulnerable to being stolen/erased by occurrences beyond your control. Including a simple change in terms and conditions.

I still haven't seen a 100% reliable cloud service. And when all your data is online in the care of someone else, 99% doesn't cut it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
These are fair points, especially if you have a limited plan, but either way, I agree that local storage is best. It only aggravates me further that a buddy in the business told me that memory is the biggest low-cost profit builder that OEMs sell us at an absurd mark-up. So charging $50 for 8GB is highway robbery when a micro SD card would cost a fraction of that.

That said, even $350 for the 16GB is a compelling deal to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Gerbick, I disagree here (or I didn't get your point).

When you buy a phone, the hardware is yours. The on-device storage is yours. Legally, the manufacturer can't access or wipe your data as it pleases.
Not my point. Marxian makes a great point on how you need to access servers you have no control over, thus they can do what they please with your data that's using their services. I actually don't disagree with him at all.

Thus I was merely playing devil's advocate but bringing in the fact that regardless of the hardware that you have, the level of support, be it on the device or any accompanying software option like Google Music with cloud storage, the terms and conditions of support - be it updates or actual service or access - is truly up to them. Having your stuff on you your device(s) is truly the best way - again, agreeing with Marxian.

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents that on the device besides drag and drop USB methods, you're at the mercy of the device service provider. Think of it this way. If iTunes were to restrict music to the original iPhone because "it's too old", you'd have to jailbreak your phone just to put it on there since there's no way to place up music other than iTunes normally.

Bad example, but one nonetheless.

With cloud storage, your data is much much much more vulnerable to being stolen/erased by occurrences beyond your control. Including a simple change in terms and conditions.
Fully agree. Again, I was playing devil's advocate.

I still haven't seen a 100% reliable cloud service. And when all your data is online in the care of someone else, 99% doesn't cut it.
Agree here too. I've been reading up on how to roll my own cloud storage so that I control it. I have a few servers that I can use to do just that...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post

These concerns are best addressed by backing up your data. In the case of sensitive data, you'd have to keep it backed up regardless of the amount of local storage on your device due to the possibility of loss or theft or Google's sudden collapse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post: