Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I do also think it's better to keep the CSSU only to improve the existing applications.

Instead of include complete replacements such as a media player or file manager I would allow the possibility to uninstall default applications so anyone can decide what to use in any case. For example, I would uninstall the default application manager as I only use Fapman but I don't think it would be a good idea to replace the default one with this, although I think it's clearly superior.

I would also like to see improvements and new features on the existing applications, not only bug fixes. See, for example, the work that has been done to Hildon or Ovi Maps, maybe not all the patches are safe enough to be included with the CSSU some of them could be included when they prove to be tested enough.

Finally I'd like to thank to all the people involved in this project and with Maemo development in general.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Instead of include complete replacements such as a media player or file manager I would allow the possibility to uninstall default applications so anyone can decide what to use in any case.
A few people have said this above, so I'll reply: the problem is that HAM doesn't make this easy. Media Player doesn't show up as an "installed application" in HAM, so the user can't uninstall it without dropping to the command line.

If Open Media Player wanted to replace it (and I imagine there'll be big problems with them both installed in the same system with DBus etc.) then Conflicts doesn't help either (IIRC), as HAM doesn't let you resolve them.

It might work if someone put some effort into making HAM handle that kind of thing by offering to uninstall a package that conflicts (via some kind of whitelist of non user/ packages), and that CSSU ships that version of HAM.

It'd still be weird as, in Extras, Open Media Player either would implicitly or explicitly, depend on CSSU to be installable by the average user!

I would also like to see improvements and new features on the existing applications, not only bug fixes. See, for example, the work that has been done to Hildon or Ovi Maps, maybe not all the patches are safe enough to be included with the CSSU some of them could be included when they prove to be tested enough.
Agreed, although I suspect - for legal reasons - it'd have to be packaged as a "patch" package which went and modified the in-system Ovi Maps. This then wouldn't be dependent on the CSSU, and could make its way to Extras on its own.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
[when do we resolve a bug which is fixed in the CSSU] I would suggest when the CSSU has been launched and passed widespread testing.
That's not what's been done for other bugs for Nokia's development process, there you get something like:

Code:
This has been fixed in package
$PKG 3.4.0+0m5
which is part of the internal build version
2010.23-4
(Note: 2009/2010 is the year, and the number after is the week.)

A future public update released with the year/week later than this internal build version will include the fix. (This is not always already the next public update.)

Please verify that this new version fixes the bug by marking this bug report as VERIFIED after the public update has been released and if you have some time.
On that basis, something like the following process would be followed:
  • RESOLVED FIXED - when committed to http://gitorious.org/community-ssu
  • VERIFIED - when released in community-ssu-testing repo
  • RELEASED - when released in end-user facing community-ssu repo.

I'll give Andre a poke for his thoughts.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2011-01-18 at 14:02. Reason: Typos

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
A few people have said this above, so I'll reply: the problem is that HAM doesn't make this easy. Media Player doesn't show up as an "installed application" in HAM, so the user can't uninstall it without dropping to the command line.
Wouldn't it be possible just to repackage these applications indicating them as User Applications, so they were listed in HAM?

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Wouldn't it be possible just to repackage these applications indicating them as User Applications, so they were listed in HAM?
Not sure. Certainly they themselves can't be, as they're closed-source, restricted licence, Nokia copyrighted applications.

Perhaps some kind of shim which sort of repackaged them on device would be doable? It'd:
  • Mess with the index/repackage of mediaplayer
  • Have an icon for Application Manager
  • Have a human readable title for Application Manager

HAM does do clever stuff with non-user/ packages which aren't required anymore. Once the SSU meta-package link is broken, would a "expose-mediaplayer" package which just depended on mediaplayer and provided an icon be sufficient? Once it was uninstalled, mediaplayer might go with it...?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
i would suggest not to make same mistake as Nokia and place all community packages as one meta package that would update all the packages at once and enable the opportunity to install and uninstall certain application without breaking this meta package. what i mean is if i decide to replace mediaplayer with qtmediaplayer the update of community-ssu fremantle wouldn't reinstall mediaplaye even if it's included as it was with official Nokia one when all fixes and packages came in one update. for example everytime i updated if i'm not mistaken i got amazon app and facebook installer installed on system. as well it would not only improve the roadmap of updating all packages/projects separetly but independently (not freezing realese for testing), but also help to build your own system with your own apps of choise.

if this is already a plan or works out of community box, sorry for misunderstanding.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
On that basis, something like the following process would be followed:
  • RESOLVED FIXED - when committed to http://gitorious.org/community-ssu
  • VERIFIED - when released in community-ssu-testing repo
  • RELEASED - when released in end-user facing community-ssu repo.

I'll give Andre a poke for his thoughts.
That makes a lot of sense to me, and preferably with a commit ID when closing as FIXED, and explaining when/how it will be available to end-users to avoid followup questions.
However this would require creating another "RELEASED" state in Bugzilla, but that is easily doable (note to myself: /editvalues.cgi?field=bug_status) now that we have Bugzilla 3.x running live.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
As per https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11804, https://bugs.maemo.org/describecompo...ommunity%20SSU exists now.
If you need a "RELEASED" status please file a separate ticket in bugs.maemo.org against Bugzilla.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
maybe I was a bit too quick in trusting the Community SSU, but I made the jump, added the repository and installed the enabler package.

That enabler pulled in all (??) updated packages from the community SSU.

But now my apt-get queue is stuck and I can't fix it with an 'apt-get -f install'. It always comes back with the same dependency error :
mp-fremantle-community-pr: Depends: hildon-desktop (>=1:2.2.142-4) but 1:2.2.138-1+0m5 is to be installed
Where can I find this 1:2.2.143 version ? I prefer not to undo the whole Community SSU install, as I do like the other (properly installed) programs. Anyone care to send me the deb file (and pray it doesn't have again unmet dependencies ...)

Now of course all other application upgrades/installs are blocked.
ps, in all honesty, I need to say I'm still on PR1.2, using power40. I don't want to reinstall and reconfigure all stuff, so I'll stick as long as possible with PR.12. I'm very happy, I just would like to follow along with some new stuff without the reinstall/reconfigure overhead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
maybe I was a bit too quick in trusting the Community SSU, but I made the jump, added the repository and installed the enabler package.
Excellent, thanks for your testing. No-one had yet tested what happened with PR1.2, although it doesn't sound like you've got a clean install.

Where can I find this 1:2.2.143 version ?
Have you installed any of the hildon-desktop debs attached to various threads here?

Now of course all other application upgrades/installs are blocked.
ps, in all honesty, I need to say I'm still on PR1.2, using power40. I don't want to reinstall and reconfigure all stuff, so I'll stick as long as possible with PR.12. I'm very happy, I just would like to follow along with some new stuff without the reinstall/reconfigure overhead.
Well, the CSSU builds on top of PR1.3. What the behaviour of the set of packages will be is anyone's guess. Whether it's possible to support it, let alone whether or not we want to support it, will depend on volunteers who are willing to test and support these variants (both with clean reflashes of PR1.2 and custom software)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade