Hmm that's really poor customer service on both ends. Though Amazon's return/replacement policy only lasts for 30 days, after that it's the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty from Nokia that is in place (though in reality it starts the moment you get your device). Though I'm not advising waiting for the return policy to expire then using the warranty since there's no guarantee Nokia will accept it. Though they should since it is a reproducable defect.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm that's really poor customer service on both ends. Though Amazon's return/replacement policy only lasts for 30 days, after that it's the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty from Nokia that is in place (though in reality it starts the moment you get your device). Though I'm not advising waiting for the return policy to expire then using the warranty since there's no guarantee Nokia will accept it. Though they should since it is a reproducable defect.
I'm inclined to follow your non-advice. I'm reluctant to give up a (mostly) working n900, to wait an unknown length of time, to pay unknown addition cost, for a second device which may or may not have the same problem. I'd like to hold on to the one I've got, live with the hassle of having to use a headset for phone calls, and hope to get this one repaired under warranty once the current n900 fever dies down. The whole situation feels like it's going to be a gamble on my part either path I take.

Got my replacement N900 today and thankfully the mic works ........ So damn relieved.

Hope you guys also have good luck.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ chicago usa
^ how long did it take? i just sent mine out for faulty ear piece, and i really hope they send me a new one and not just reject it back to me, which then would just force me to use a headset to all calls just to hear them other then using speaker phone

Approx10 days as i did send the device on a friday

cool, what did they say in your email? like did they give you details on what they found out from your device? or like you have been approved blah blah blah

Originally Posted by fiendskillz View Post
cool, what did they say in your email? like did they give you details on what they found out from your device? or like you have been approved blah blah blah
LOL, what email ????

No information from them (though out of habit I did chase) and the only thing was that a new order was setup for me, which was waiting for stock to be allocated to it after they had the phone for a week.

oh, so they didnt email you anything? like saying they recieved it and stuff? just wanting to know cause i just wanna know where it is lol and what its doing because i waited for the phone to come, just to send it back to them and wait another 2-3weeks to get another one >_>

Originally Posted by fiendskillz View Post
oh, so they didnt email you anything? like saying they recieved it and stuff? just wanting to know cause i just wanna know where it is lol and what its doing because i waited for the phone to come, just to send it back to them and wait another 2-3weeks to get another one >_>
Keep chasing them for info. Nothing was volunteered to me unfortunately. I kept phoning them every 2 days for progress.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
So from the 6 posted their IMEI I've trimmed down their Serial Number, you guys might want to remove your IMEI number now.

maemoexperts
Serial Number 015476

pwannell
Serial Number 015297

nuknuk
Serial Number 015481

FC_
Serial Number 012679

douglas
Serial Number 008154

bbrindle
Serial Number 008477

FYI those want to find out the serial number,

The IMEI format is as follow (example only): 35007752-323751-3
The bit in bold is the N900's unique serial number.

First 8 digits = Type Allocation Code (device name + region etc.)
Last digit = Check Digit
---------------------------------------------------
Serial Number 015757

Arrived and powerd up on 30 Nov09
- Mic was dead on arrival.
DTMF tones can be sent from number pad
External earpiece and mic work OK
Bluetooth headset works OK
Has been fully reflashed with the Flasher - internal mic still dead.

Diasasembly video here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/04/n...one-semantics/

Seems to show that, in common with other Nokia phones, mic is a module that relies on presure contact with the motherboard. Could be a problem with a poor connection at this location (resist not cleaned off properly etc) or wrong type of microphone module used.

May be some brave person will have a go at checking their mic connection

Richard

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio