A new version of Helium is out.

This version is not submitted to the store (yet) since I felt it needs a bit more testing, especially on the interaction with media renderers. I’ve only two renderers that are not Rygel-based and one of them is severely broken when it comes to UPnP.

So please, try it out and report any issue you find either via its issue tracker at github or as a comment here.

Please see http://jensge.org/2012/09/helium-0-6-0/ for more information and the packages.

There's a bugtracker/feature tracker available at github: https://github.com/phako/Helium/issues

I'd really appreciate if you could test it with different players, TV's, loudspeakers etc, out there as my hardware access is rather limited and the spec for player control is a bit unclear on some points.

Last edited by phako; 2012-09-18 at 16:24. Reason: New Version

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Very cool stuff! Awesome job!

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
if you go for gpl license and free, it would be nice to have it in apps.formeego.org

P.S. to downlload from device — use MeeScan and QR-Code:

Last edited by ZogG; 2012-04-07 at 11:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
so does this allow me to find upnp servers and use them on my n9 or is a upnp server?

Thanks for your effort! Here's some feedback:

I successfully played movies from my QNAP 459Pro NAS (running Twonky 6.0.34) to my Samsung D6510 Smart-TV (Firmware 1.0.18).

I noticed that Helium shows a progres-indicator (time played) but it's not possible to use it to jump to a certain position. (I can do so on the TV, so it's not a file/player problem). Do you plan to add this? Maybe also for volume control? It would be very convenient so one does not have to switch from the N9 to the TV-remote and back.

I found the procedure to start playing not intuitive. I had to read the manual to discover the long press (was expecting the > on the
renderer page to start playing). It would be nice to have a feedback on the successful long press (vibrate).

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
so does this allow me to find upnp servers and use them on my n9 or is a upnp server?
Kind of the first one. You can't use them on the N9, but you can use the N9 as a remote control.

Originally Posted by hw9xx View Post
Thanks for your effort! Here's some feedback:

I successfully played movies from my QNAP 459Pro NAS (running Twonky 6.0.34) to my Samsung D6510 Smart-TV (Firmware 1.0.18).

I noticed that Helium shows a progres-indicator (time played) but it's not possible to use it to jump to a certain position. (I can do so on the TV, so it's not a file/player problem). Do you plan to add this? Maybe also for volume control? It would be very convenient so one does not have to switch from the N9 to the TV-remote and back.
Volume control is planned, I need that as well. Seeking does work, although that's one of the grey areas in the specs. If you could use gupnp-universal-cp, the Intel UPnP inspector or the Coherence UPnP navigator (forgot the name), browse to your TV, a service called AVTransport and give me the content of the state variable A_ARG_TYPE_SeekMode I can probably fix that.

I found the procedure to start playing not intuitive. I had to read the manual to discover the long press (was expecting the > on the
renderer page to start playing). It would be nice to have a feedback on the successful long press (vibrate).
This is going to change in a future version. Also I tried to add haptic feedback but it didn't work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Just used it to control playback from n9 to TV, works really well. Is it possible to have thumbnails or use gallery view ? Right now it's bit difficult with only filenames.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
if you go for gpl license and free, it would be nice to have it in apps.formeego.org
Good hint. It's GPL and will be free of charge. I'll read through the submission process.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Just used it to control playback from n9 to TV, works really well. Is it possible to have thumbnails or use gallery view ? Right now it's bit difficult with only filenames.
There should be thumbnails although they might be a bit small. With "from the N9" you meant the internal UPnP server?

A gallery view is a neat idea!