Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I've actually had my N900 for ~6 weeks now and been logging impressions (naturally on the device itself) as I went. The time has come to publicize them; I'm hoping to:
  • See if others agree with some of the shortcomings listed below so we can start brainstorms to hopefully get Nokia to address the main ones for the N900.
  • Perhaps serve as pre-purchase advice for people who are wondering if the N900 is right for them?

My previous phone is a venerable N95 and I also own a 1st gen iPod touch (both 2007 devices). I've also test-driven an iPhone 3GS for 2 weeks last summer. So these are going to be my points of comparison - most of the shortcoming listed in this post are not issue for either or both of these platforms, ie: points where the N900 has some catching-up to do...

Let's start with general impressions:
  • Hardware build quality is good - no visible or tangible wear & tear after 6 weeks.
  • The OS is actually rather stable, especially considering how new it it. I think I've only experienced one spurious reboot and perhaps the odd browser crash - it actually feels more stable than the iPhone OS and certainly a great deal more stable than the N95 when it first came out.
  • The OS and the phone are generally sufficiently responsive for my requirements - not outstandingly so but good enough. The only exception is navigating around IMAP email accounts - this is unbelievably sluggish (certainly when compared with my 2yrs old(!) iPod touch).
  • Battery life is along the same lines, not great but adequate - daily charge is in order.
  • Phone reception is actually a good notch better than the N95's and another notch better than the iPhone.
  • In terms of features and usability, Maemo 5 is IMHO somewhat behind both the iPhone OS and even the N95's Symbian OS.

That last point, I personally feel, is where Nokia really need to step up the game with Maemo 5.

Shortcomings are being addressed: the recent 1.1 f/w update actually fixed a few of my gripes (listed below). Hopefully things are going to continue this way as there are rumours that Nokia may be concentrating on future releases instead of finishing the outstanding work on Meamo 5.

I've also tried to link existing brainstorms or bug reports. If you care, please visit them and vote; if you know of others that relate to similar topics, please follow-up on this thread and include relevant links...

My severity ratings: = low ; = medium ; = high

Email
Calendar (link to brainstorm)
  • Unable to set specific time for calendar reminders (only "x minutes before")
  • No sorting for notes kept with calendar (seems to default to oldest first which is pretty useless)
  • Tasks cannot have descriptions or be linked to notes

Web Browser
  • Provide shortcuts to go to top/bottom of pages; smth along the lines of CTRL+UP/DOWN as scrolling a long page can be painfully tedious (eg: iPhone lets you jump to top of page by tapping the title bar)
  • Make it possible to enter history from the bookmarks page
PhoneMedia playerOthers...
  • The N95 would let me set the same PIN for SIM and device and have it prompted only once at device startup - not the N900... really tedious
  • Lack of (customizable) profiles (eg: Outdoor, meeting)
  • PDF reader doesn't support TOC (or other intra-document linking)
  • "Maps" has no integration w/ other apps (eg: lookup/link contact's address on map)
  • Some search/match functionality (eg: in selection lists for browser drop-downs) seems to be case-sensitive
  • File manager doesn't respond to keystrokes to navigate contents - more tedious scrolling...

Now for the better news...

Issues addressed by latest firmware (PR1.1)
  • Tasks couldn't have reminders (meaning they were next to useless)
  • File manager allows browsing DLNA shares but when attempting to open files, eg: music, the media player would say it can only deal with local files.
  • Auto time update doesn't seem to cope with timezone change when travelling

Issues reportedly addressed by forthcoming firmware releases

Last edited by sxc; 2010-04-12 at 18:48. Reason: linked yet more existing bugs... please vote for them!

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to sxc For This Useful Post:
Interesting post to read. I'm still on the fence when it comes down to buying this or waiting out to see what happens with any updates or even new phones coming out.

Some of the things you mention, like number of unread e-mails would be a slight issue for me so I hope that gets fixed. I think the majority of other things I can live with, but I'm happy to wait a little longer and see how Nokia updates the device.

MMS, portrait SMS (SORELY required), Ovi Maps turn by turn (as with all other ovi maps), Ovi integration.. ie ovi syncing/pc suite support .... all fairly large basic features missing..

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-31 at 22:31.

When I delete mail from my IMAP gmail account on the n900, my mail is deleted from the server too

Soleil that would be expected , IMAP is effectively looking at mail on the Server , so you delete it on the client , it effectively syncs that back to the mail server. If you use POP3 then that would download a copy which you can delete. With POP you should be able to specify to delete the email from the mail server when you download the email, which might not be the desired option

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
pc suite support ....
Actually I meant to mention syncing to Outlook 2007 via the latest version of PC Suite as one of the things that actually works reasonably well for me (over Bluetooth and running on a Windows 7 PC to add to the challenge)

Lack of (customizable) profiles (eg: Outdoor, meeting)
Tweakr, gives you the ability to create and customise profiles.

Deleting emails from device doesn't delete them the from IMAP
For me from the main Gmail folders it does delete, but from Spam for some reason not. Have not looked into it in more details yet

The N95 would let me set the same PIN for SIM and device and have it prompted only once at device startup - not the N900... really tedious
This would be a nice feature.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
MMS, portrait SMS (SORELY required), Ovi Maps turn by turn (as with all other ovi maps), Ovi integration.. ie ovi syncing/pc suite support .... all fairly large basic features missing..
Ovi Maps as it stands now on the N900 is dangerous to use as a navigation tool while driving. Turn by turn directions is the last thing I "require" on this phone/tablet/computer. I travel for work and having to carry around my old phone to use as my GPS is not cool.

A few other things I'd like to see:

- Somewhere in the status bar or on the "home screen", an indication that one has messages waiting: SMS's, VM's and e-mails (and the number of each would be ideal)

- An actual percentage of battery power that is remaining.

- A workable media streamer over WAN/internet.

(MMS is working: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=fmms)

The Following User Says Thank You to jsbigs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post

(MMS is working: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=fmms)
Whilst you can get it to work - its not integrated and has its issues eg you/I need to connect via a non default data connection to send/receive MMS's.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Whilst you can get it to work - its not integrated and has its issues eg you/I need to connect via a non default data connection to send/receive MMS's.
True, it's not integrated.

As for non-default data connection, not sure about other providers, but with T-Mobile USA, you can just edit your default "T-Mobile - Internet" GPRS connection, with epc.tmobile.com as the APN, and (as outlined) the http proxy and automatic configuration web address added. Works just fine.