Active Topics

Poll: whats you next phone after the n900
Poll Options
whats you next phone after the n900

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
I put down the Lumia. Sue me. Mostly because Im not ruling it out quite yet.

I also put down SGS2 and N8 because I got those after the N900.

Also N9, cause I love my N9. Which is the reason Im not leaping towards Lumia as we speak. And the reason I might just wait for nokias WP8-line.

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
name a phone with the sweetness of N900 without lacking

xterminal
32gb + 32gb mmc
all those qwerty shortcuts
such great community support for 2 years now
carl zeiss
quad boot
fm transmitter
notification led
camera lens cover
irda

you can't replace the N900 without compromising here and there
well it's easy to cut some of those
xterminal ok true.
32gb + 32gb mmc so many smartphones with that now
all those qwerty shortcuts sure but there are others with keyboards
such great community support for 2 years now well we are just a few android has better support, we are fewer but better but the number...
carl zeiss others have it too
quad boot got a point here
fm transmitter many with it too
notification led don't known if it's really a feature..
camera lens cover many have it too
irda it's great irda... there's no android that uses it. actually n900 is the most recent that has it unfortunately I have so much fun with it.

I just got tired of all this crap. nokia should just had lunched a full line of meego phones. I'm tired of being used and promised things and nothing. I hate this. I'll never buy a nokia product again. I sold all my nokia stocks. Sure N900 is great but even with great features it is outdated. and really.. N9? it was dead even before it's release. Give me a break. They are joking with us. It's a total disrespect towards the buyer.

I just bought an used mint condition unlocked SGS2 with warranty for 250€.
Maybe with the future tizen things will change. But about future proof it's more probable to have tizen on my SGS2 then on a N9 due to the "great" support of nokiacrap Elop and friends.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
It's sad to say that I think the N900 will be my last Nokia phone.

Unless they revive Meego, which I dont see happening.

My contract is up for renewal, and too be honest the only phone I can see that has my interest is the Samsung Galaxy Note. Mainly because it pushes the boundary between tablet/phone. I'd miss the keyboard, fm transmitter and irda, but I would gain a big screen for browsing & movies, and a pressure sensitive stylus.

But I might just take the Samsung Galaxy S2 which I've been offered as a free upgrade, flog it and keep using my N900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
A phone as open as n900 with a keyboard...........i'm praying

HTC G2 or a MT4GSlide

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ The Northpole
ok time for a rant with a happy ending. i am totally fed up with nokia plus dont like android or ios much. and you couldnt give me an n9 or any other "multimedia computer" if you paid me. accidently finding n900 after a long line of nokia bricks was really interesting and rewarding due to the maemo community keeping it alive. i will stay on n900 for as long as it works thanks to you guys. after that who the heck knows? - cheers!

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I am on IPhone 4. Suits me well. Tried n9, the iPhone wanna be. Nice device, but can't compete. I understand now why elop went with windows. He did the right thing

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
my n9 is arriving this week.. probably wednesday or thursday.. its the 64gb black btw...

You are wrong if you say no latest devices have IRDA
just have a look at GALAXY TAB 7.7 & GALAXY TAB PLUS(7")...

Name:  gsmarena_022.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  30.1 KB
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p680...b_7_7-4136.php

Name:  samsung-galaxy-tab-plus-p6200.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  52.2 KB
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p620..._plus-4208.php

Small Tablet with support for GSM voice communication, SMS, and MMS too... & much similar to galaxy note bigger battery & SUPER AMOLED PLUS display...

Last edited by immi.shk; 2011-11-29 at 03:22.

Personally I'm going for the Samsung Galaxy Note as:

- it hasn't HW keyboard but its size compensates for a good virtual keyboard

- it has USB OTG (I'll be able to connect my Xbox 360 controller and play with it! ^^).

- it has better support, surely it won't have a community as great as this, but I'm tired of seeing how every commercial app (not necessarily a paid app) can't be used on my N900.

- it sure doesn't have terminal and some really advanced tools as the N900 does, but, getting real, do I need such advantages in such an outdated HW as the N900 has? because yes, perhaps I can do these much things in the N900, but I don't think they're practical. Name really practical apps the N900 has that Android hasn't. Viceversa is probably easeir.

- Navigation, as good as it was on the N900 on its day, has gone amazingly slow on it. Full webpages with flash are unnavegable, and videos on the web completely unwatchable. Surfing with the Note and its 1280*800 screen should be awesome, and I think that it can also show full webpages, and it should have a PC-navigation-like as the N900 does (correct me if I'm wrong).

- You can overclock the N900, but it rarely surpasses the 900 MHz clock, which is still very outdated; and the main grudge on the phone is the incredible lack of RAM.

- FM radio on the N900 sucks. I've tried different apps for it but every one sucks anyway. I'll miss the FM transmitter though, but I don't see myself using that feature anymore (nowadays almost every car radio has a line-in or an USB-in port).

- Sure the N900 was a great communication device on its day, but nowadays no Whatsapp and other social network support makes it old. NITdroid isn't a solution as rebooting the phone and getting no voice calls isn't supposed to be how the N900 works. At least it doesn't work for me.

- We were promised video calls for N900, but Skype is way laggy and really eats the phone's CPU and battery. Video calls on the Galaxy Note work flawless.

- The mail client, microb, is laggy. I don't know if the Android client is much better but I hope so.

- Twitter support is awful. There's no useful twitter application that can run in the background and don't make your phone a mess and waaaay slower. For me the only usable app is Tweego, yet it doesn't have all the options I'd desire, like the ones on Twimgo.

- The camera ISN'T good. Really. I don't think Carl Zeiss branding or the slide cover are worth for anything. Photos are low-quality, as in every phone, and videos are awful. At least upgrading the phone I'll get better video recording for sure.

- Two of my favorite apps on the N900 that didn't exist for other phones were SeriesFinale and gPodder. Now there are clones of SeriesFinale everywhere and there are other podcast clients for Android which let you do streaming.

- While 800*480 is a good res for almost anything, it's getting old and not everything is viewable anymore. Also, document (PDF) reading and other uses aren't suited for such a small screen as the one on the N900, as good as its resolution is.

- The battery on my N900 doesn't last an entire day. Hopefully the 2500 mAh on the Note's will.

That's pretty much it, please correct me if I'm wrong in anything (I'm sure I'll be somewhere), my conclusion is that the N900 was an extraordinary phone, but it's gone old and we should move on.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkthor For This Useful Post: