Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Why not use QSettings?
I'm using QSettings to keep track of user preferences already. But, for hundreds of keysets each of which contains dozens of strings and hundreds of integers? I didn't really think it would be up to that sort of task...

But yeah, let me take a look at it. Thanks!

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Thanks for checking out the pioneer amp. I'll try it again. On a separate note, assuming all remotes work for people, would it be possible to create a personal remote tab/page. I only use 2 or 3 buttons on each remote. It would be so cool to add individual buttons from keysets to your personal remote tab. TV input, on/off and volume, sat box channel up/down, amp input and volume. You get the idea. If this was possible, you could add an option to remove all other keys and keep the memory hogging to a minimum, not that I have a notion what I'm talking about.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I've been trying to keep a close eye on this thread.

Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
would it be possible to create a personal remote tab/page. I only use 2 or 3 buttons on each remote. It would be so cool to add individual buttons from keysets to your personal remote tab. TV input, on/off and volume, sat box channel up/down, amp input and volume. You get the idea.
Ah, the ultimate user interface! This is a question to strike fear into my heart -- I'm not much of a GUI person, so creating a fairly decent static interface is hard enough for me, let alone a good dynamic one. I can't imagine how much work that would take...

But yeah, this really is what the QtIrreco guys were going after with their product. In fact, it may be the case that you can control multiple devices today with QtIrreco; I'm not sure, I never really used it that much.

My guiding principle for Pierogi has been to determine a (fairly) common set of commands used by the majority of remote controls, lay them out in a fairly usable interface, and allow the user to quickly map devices to that layout one after the other. (This is, more or less, what most "universal" remote controls do.) And I'll probably want to continue following this principle for at least the near future. But certainly, there's no reason why Pierogi's keyset backend couldn't be connected to a more dynamic GUI. In fact, I suspect you could marry QtIrreco's front-end to Pierogi's data, if you really wanted to. Might be something to look in to...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by peterleinchen

request for
Metz Axio Pro Tv
and
Bose 3-2-1 DVD Home Entertainment System

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'll go ahead and throw the LIRC files into Pierogi, and check the hifi_remotes site to see if they have anything to add.
Hey Copernicus,

many thanks for the Bose remote. I am now able to control it via N900!
For the Metz TV I have added some more info about the remote model to wiki request: it is a RM14 (RM11, RM14, RM15). Hope you will find something...

One question: where did you find the info for the Bose? I have tested from lirc.sf.net/remotes and they did not work.

Again, thank you.

--edit
searched a bit, but could find only some sellers providing universal remotes, saying they will do all the programming. So the commands are out there (somewhere).
This one could be a candidate, if it helps at all:
ASIN: B00588ESA2
But maybe it is also just a programmed universal.

The Metz RM11 and RM14 and RM15 are compatible.

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-02-19 at 00:14.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
many thanks for the Bose remote. I am now able to control it via N900!
Great!

For the Metz TV I have added some more info about the remote model to wiki request: it is a RM14. Hope you will find something...
Thank you! But yeah, all I can find right now is one somewhat iffy config file for a Metz RM51 (which is, I think, a VCR). This may take some work...

One question: where did you find the info for the Bose? I have tested from lirc.sf.net/remotes and they did not work.
The hifi_remote website had a couple of config files for the Bose 3-2-1. They've got a vast archive of configuration data, meant for use with the "One For All" line of universal remotes. Compared to the LIRC's archive, their file system is a real mess (which I'm sure you know is saying something, if you've already looked through the LIRC's set of files), but they've got the most remote code information I've been able to find anywhere. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
I am wondering if you are up to implementing some weird keysets like this one http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/canon/RC-1_RC-5 for controlling DSLR cameras. They usually have a few buttons and I don't know how well they are going to fit in your layout. Of course there is pyCake but yet again it uses the LIRC daemon... If you don't think it would be appropriate to include them I'd give it a try and code a small app for it (probably ripping some of your code )

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, the ultimate user interface! This is a question to strike fear into my heart -- I'm not much of a GUI person, so creating a fairly decent static interface is hard enough for me, let alone a good dynamic one. I can't imagine how much work that would take...
It is not that hard... what language do you use? i have some sourcecode in C that i could share with you.

But yeah, this really is what the QtIrreco guys were going after with their product. In fact, it may be the case that you can control multiple devices today with QtIrreco; I'm not sure, I never really used it that much.
Yes you can, and it is probably the only advantage qtirreco has over pierogi right now.
Personally i have dozens of boxes spread out that i only use a few buttons on each, and with qtireco i culd fit most of them in the same "remote" but when i got out of gui-space i also got into trouble and had to create new remotes for different places: like home1, home2 and so forth which got a bit messy when i had to change remote.

But certainly, there's no reason why Pierogi's keyset backend couldn't be connected to a more dynamic GUI. In fact, I suspect you could marry QtIrreco's front-end to Pierogi's data, if you really wanted to. Might be something to look in to...
Yes please

Originally Posted by tecs View Post
I am wondering if you are up to implementing some weird keysets like this one http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/canon/RC-1_RC-5
Wow -- that particular config file defines only two commands, one that sends a "0" and another that sends a "1". That is pretty odd.

They usually have a few buttons and I don't know how well they are going to fit in your layout.
Actually, looking at the other Canon keysets, a lot of them are using the usual media keys (play/ff/rewind/record/etc.), which would fit fairly well into my existing media page. I'll take a closer look if there are commands that just wouldn't make sense in the layout.

Which brings up a question I should have asked folks here earlier -- a while back, during the various changes made to the Pierogi UI, the record button got bumped off the Media tab and on to the Misc tab. Then, it was migrated to the "Media 2" tab. Then, it got bumped off the UI altogether. I'm planning on eventually adding an entire tab dedicated to recording and timing keys, but until then, I could add the record button back to the Media tab if there is interest in it.

I'd give it a try and code a small app for it (probably ripping some of your code )
Please do! It should be available for download in the garage. (If that doesn't work, I could make a garage-based "file release", although I don't really know how to do that yet...)

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
It is not that hard... what language do you use? i have some sourcecode in C that i could share with you.
I'm mostly a C++ kind of guy, but I can manage a number of other languages when needed. But right now, I am still mostly concentrating on getting the backend working right. (I'm finally starting on that effort to slim down the amount of memory usage...)

But yes, once the backend is cleaned up a bit more, I could see it put to use with lots of different front-ends, from widgets to custom-built screens to the classic universal button layout...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
u can do something to allow changing the main buttons, to allow people to put their 4-5 buttons they use?

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control