Posts: 133 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Balzan Malta
Originally Posted by luketanti View Post
I tried the on from meego repo and it di not work. Now I am downloading the 1 november version and try that one. Will let you know if it worked.
The one one code drop worked. Yes I guess it is different.

Now that clears it... I guess I need to download a new one

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, that makes perfect sense. The whole point of the uboot instructions here: http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/ was that you needed to make another partition at the end of your card, with the Kernel image. If Stskeeps says the code drop one has a kernel included, it has a kernel included.

Stskeeps - I would be happy to do it (when the PR1.3 version of Power Kernel is out), but I honestly lack the knowledge of how. I can follow the instructions (though I suspect I'll have to go through a virtual machine to do it - I run Windows, which means I need to dig up the right tools to properly convert the images). My main concern was if there's anything possibly incompatible between uboot and the power kernel. But I assume not, so whatever. Anyway, if I can make it happen, I will when the time comes.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
lol, so overclocked kernell wont work ??

If you want overclock possible kernel with u-boot, you can try my experimental power40+PR1.3 kernel.

Installation instructions and the necessary files are here:

http://my.svgalib.org/770/n900/u-boot/

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
any idea why i keep getting not enough space on disc everytime i try to write image?
tried with a 4GB and a 8GB card

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
does power kernel work with this?

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Is there any way to make uboot change default kernel to boot from? (If yes, but it's in some uboot documentation somewhere, and that documentation applies to this N900 port, feel free to just pont me to that. I don't mind learning on my own if I have any idea as to where to look.)
It is not possible to configure the u-boot binary in the package, due to a small bug. You can use my u-boot binary, which is configurable by a boot.scr file in the (FAT) third partition of the SD card, or wait for the package maintainer to fix this bug and upload a new version.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by amandalam View Post
Just found out that stskeeps has uploaded U-boot to the extras-devel repository:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/uboot-pr13/

A few days ago I've raw-written the MeeGo 1.1 (Release) Handset UX image to a micro SD card and I could boot into MeeGo by using the flasher -l -b -k command.

Just now I installed the U-boot successfully but it failed to boot into MeeGo. Soon I found out in this site that we will need to create an extra FAT partition, convert the MeeGo kernel file to an uImage, and then put the uImage to the newly created FAT partition in order to make it boots.

Will it be possible that we can download the "ready-made" uImage from repo.meego.com like where we download the .raw images? I suggest this because the purpose of u-boot after all is to ease the process of testing MeeGo, and the additional steps mentioned are quite troublesome for those who would like to test the daily builds frequently and for those who are using Windows as their primary OS...
for the devs: uboot ext2 bug might not be solvable for every purpose but it is just two lines to make it work. the returncode in the read function is hardcoded to be allways 1 so it fails. without that you can have the kernel on the ext2/ext3.. meaning a bootmenu on the n900 + the kernels next to it -> no flashing anymore.

worked for me. but it might need examining why the long time avaible patch is not applyed. might have a reason(some failure). i didn't dig into it.

for the n900 it worked for me.

maybe it helps?
br

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
can some one tell me how to remove u-boot . i tried apt-get install --reinstall kernel-flasher but u-boot didnt remove . plz help.

Tags
power kernel, uboot