Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
...and I do all my development on the phone itself, mostly for the same reason (the other part is that having it on the phone frees me to do it in places like the loo, in the bath etc ). The only thing I use the PC for is the GUI design in Qt Designer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Good luck with this project! I found conditions exactly as you describe, even long ago when the N900 was new! I never had success setting up a programming environment on any Ubuntu box, information was scattered everywhere, & I finally gave up on it. I'd been a long-time C programmer & having to admit defeat was difficult!
Just imagine how many similar missed opportunities for Maemo/N900 there might have been!

Well, at least there's still a few of us diehard N900ers around, and I think the phone has a cult following with hacker types.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Xagoln View Post
Just imagine how many similar missed opportunities for Maemo/N900 there might have been!
Yeah, this is (I think) the biggest reason why Nokia decided to support Qt after all -- it gave them a fighting chance to acquire and keep developers. Once you've learned how to do things the Qt way, you can immediately use that knowledge to write code for Unix, Windows, OS X, Maemo, Symbian, Harmattan, Sailfish, Android... Anything that has an appropriate Qt toolchain available. (Yeah, I've kind of become a believer myself. )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
They key words here are

Code:

Anything that has an appropriate Qt toolchain available.
Unfortunately....

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
@nieldk, what toolchains in particular are you looking for? Qt seems to have a wider range of targets than any other cross-platform UI out there...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: