Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi,

I think "MeeGo Coding Competition" is like a community brand because the last competition got the same name. We also used the name (including competition instead of "contest") in a lot of URLs.

ciao jukey

Me on twitter

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
Hi,

I think "MeeGo Coding Competition" is like a community brand because the last competition got the same name. We also used the name (including competition instead of "contest") in a lot of URLs.

ciao jukey
Understood. Just tossing ideas out for banner improvement. IF contest was used instead of competition, it really helps the layout... but should not be done if there are other negative consequences.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
We will launch the site where you can submit your app, screenshots and the description on friday.
Yes, no problem. No hurry... I'm far away from submitting my app.
The concept is working... but it will be a mixture between a statusbar plugin based on python and GTK (a pain) and some dialoges created using C++ and Qt. But this part is at the moment only a drawing on a piece of paper.

I don't know how to package this at the moment... and I will run in a other problem if I submit it to your page. What about dependencies?

My application will be me more a additional function to a other, very popolar maemo application. (don't want to disclose this now) So I need that this application is installed on the Device. I tought to create a dependency regarding this package (and a other package with a special font). So as soon as my application is installed the other app and the font get's installed, too. And it will work. But what if I only upload my parts at your site? The users will be unable to test this easily or they would think it is broken...

The problem with the wiki is that everyone is able to change it.
Hm, I saw the option to get email alearts as soon as someone edit's your changes. Perhaps you could use this as a small workaround?
Or could we block editing for anonymous users?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I am also interested in the dependencies issue. I take we will be expected to upload a standalone .deb to the site?

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
How about this for the banner?

I don't think there has to be a 'presents' in there as
a) it is for both platforms
b) there isn't the space! Both logos have exclusion zones which mean a 1/3 of the height of the banner is taken up by the logo.. Any smaller and they start getting difficult to read.

Notes:
I don't have the correct DIN font so I used Open Din Schriften Engschrift, if anyone has the other I can upload the xcf file to modify
I went with the yellow MeeGo logo thinking it would hint at the evolutionary process. If it has to be the purple, I can sort that out.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Donation update: 15€ by jukey.
All donations made up to date can be seen here: http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_C...2011#Donations

Originally Posted by helex View Post
I don't know how to package this at the moment... and I will run in a other problem if I submit it to your page. What about dependencies?
[...]
Hm, I saw the option to get email alearts as soon as someone edit's your changes. Perhaps you could use this as a small workaround?
Or could we block editing for anonymous users?
Yes, the wiki could be an option if the submitting site does not work out..
But I see some other downsides of using the wiki. For example will we need some personal data from the winners like address and PayPal address. On our site it will be just logging in and provide those informations. The logistical effort would be much higher for us using the wiki. But of course, if there would be no other option we'd have to go back to the wiki.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I am also interested in the dependencies issue. I take we will be expected to upload a standalone .deb to the site?
Not necessarily.
The plan is to make this site a one stop shop for the average user to test the apps and build his opinion.
For example you could upload a .install file which points to your app in the repository.
Or just a link to your website where the user will be able to download your app. Or installation instructions and so on...
Of course the easier you'll do the installation process, the better the user will probably vote for you.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Btw. Is there any post FAQ on what did you guys learn from last competition and what are you going to do differently (better)?
Please head over the the FAQ at the wiki and ask your questions. We'll answer them as soon as possible: http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_Competition_2011#FAQ
But we've learned A LOT from the past competition. The easy way but also the hard way. kojacker, would you like to share some experiences?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Not necessarily.
The plan is to make this site a one stop shop for the average user to test the apps and build his opinion.
For example you could upload a .install file which points to your app in the repository.
Or just a link to your website where the user will be able to download your app. Or installation instructions and so on...
Of course the easier you'll do the installation process, the better the user will probably vote for you.
I hope having an 'external' site for the app submission would not cause confusion/problems. The easiest way for a user to test an app is to install it (through the app manager). So the idea of an .install file uploaded on the site that linking to the extras-devel/testing should be a must, otherwise, regarding for the dependencies, the user could fall into problems and stop testing apps for the competition.
So, IMHO all the apps for the competition need to be uploaded to the extras repository.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
I hope having an 'external' site for the app submission would not cause confusion/problems. The easiest way for a user to test an app is to install it (through the app manager). So the idea of an .install file uploaded on the site that linking to the extras-devel/testing should be a must, otherwise, regarding for the dependencies, the user could fall into problems and stop testing apps for the competition.
So, IMHO all the apps for the competition need to be uploaded to the extras repository.
And in case of x86 MeeGo Apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
And in case of x86 MeeGo Apps?
I think the problem would be the same if the app is not uploaded to any repository (we can create a temporary new one just for meego).
Or using (is ready?) the intel appup stuff.

Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
I think the problem would be the same if the app is not uploaded to any repository (we can create a temporary new one just for meego).
Or using (is ready?) the intel appup stuff.
Sure, the best way would be to upload your app to a repository, no doubt. We encourage everyone to do that.
But we won't _force_ anyone to do that.

Edit: There is a community repository for MeeGo btw: http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Repo

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-04-08 at 09:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia