Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Source: http://miniature-chess.org/wiki/Maemo

Miniature has a experimental release for Maemo. It is based on a snapshot taken slightly before the Miniature 0.4 De Lucena release.

This package is functional: you can play games with other players but it contains some of the little bugs that we fixed in the last sprint prior to the 0.4 release. Apart from this, there are no Maemo specific bugs found so far.

Installation

One click install: miniature.install

We are looking for Maemo testers and maintainers. Any help improving the wiki page is appreciated!

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Will be this pushed into Extras(-devel) repository?

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Gonna install and test right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
There is a special repo for this... see in my signature QtComponents

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Answer to a post originally placed in an old thread. Replying here to concentrate all the Miniature related discussion.

Originally Posted by bingbings View Post
Well finally installed on my N900 and played a few games as guest....

First impressions - it's pretty neat, love the interface (who the hell was involved in the weird chess program for maemo5 ??), easy to use, no problem in finding players, overall great experience for maemo chess players, big thx!!.This miniature program will not leave my N900 from now, well done Sir!!

I was experiencing some rotations problem - unable to play if I turned my N900 in portrait orientation, will try next time whitout having forced rotation enabled.

Not necessarily on the downside but (for me) : the 3 click needed to move might be too waisting time when playing blitz chess and I was wondering if the notification when the oponent move (actually the slim blue bar) couldn't be modified showing exactly the last opponent move (a classic square modified color could be an option).

edit : yeah forgotted - the version I installed is the 0.4 and I did it by adding the catalogue showed in the link in the meego forum (thx inean), need to install qt-components too.
The guys that developed the original Miniature for Maemo are the same that have worked on Miniature 0.4 - just 2 years older.

Can you explain in more detail this rotation problem? In theory Miniature shouldn't rotate at all and we always in portrait mode. However, N950 users run into problems when sliding out the hardware keyboard. Maybe is this what you are referring to as well?

About your usability suggestions, check and please have a say at

Can you please improve the installation instructions at http://miniature-chess.org/wiki/Maemo#Installation ? I didn't manage to install it in my first attempt (while doing 101 other things, so surely I didn't try hard enough - still this might be the case of many potential users). Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Will be this pushed into Extras(-devel) repository?
I hope someone takes the task to push Miniature up to Extras proper if that is possible at all one day. But a Maemo specific maintainer is needed for that. Ideally one that would send us the patches for Miniature so a single package could be built for every new release.

It's not much work, actually. If you are then thinking "so why don't *you* do it?" my answer can be found in these two links:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature/Development#Backlog
http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature/Wishlist

You really want mikhas and me to keep pushing new features and bugfixes to the master repo. If the peak is not alive and kicking then the long tail won't go further. Actually we welcome more developers to help on that as well - Miniature has so much potential.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
I experienced black display

The Following User Says Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
same here..blackscreen...and if i try installing qtquickcompat.. it says newest version and set to manual install.

The Following User Says Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:
fwiw these are the gory details of the diff between Miniature for MeeGo Harmattan and Maemo: http://wiki.maemo.org/QtComponents/Miniature

As said, not much. Someone with the skills could prepare a proper 0.4 release and following releases, and even (I believe) integrate the changes in Miniature proper to have a package ready for Maemo too in every new release.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Sorry, but all of what I see is a black screen...

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post: