Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Congratulations, your treasured Maemo device has been unceremoniously dumped by Nokia in favor of their latest trophy wife device, and you now qualify for Bitter Old Hand status on maemo.org. Though you've earned the right, please try to refrain from laughing ominously as the fresh-faced newbies begin to arrive for the N9, posting their excited, gushing comments.

At least this time, Nokia are holding in plain view the knife destined for the slick, new device's back. Our new community members should come in with a better idea of where this ride is going.
But will new n9 users come to this site?
It seems that Nokia is channelling users to meego.com for this device. In the marketing of the n9, it's maemo core has been waxed over (understandable because they want to promote it as MeeGo). Community apps are going to be stored at apps.meego.com. So whither now for maemo.org?

I bought my n900 in March 2010, and wasn't really aware of the community here until I wanted some improvements on a couple of apps and started giving feedback on the relevant thread. In the mean time it was just a case of using google for answers. When the n9 is launched and announcements are made in fmc and the repos are based over there, and the product has MeeGO (sic) 1.2 Harmattan plastered all over the box which new users are going to come to maemo.org?

Edit: Apologies for going wildly OT.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Mods please merge with this thread, thanks
It is done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
This is exactly the sort of thing that drives off prospective customers who see it as nonsupport of product, inhibits sales, & drives stock value down. It just becomes more & more difficult to understand what the objective of the Nokia organization is other than to make the company worthless.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
This is exactly the sort of thing that drives off prospective customers who see it as nonsupport of product, inhibits sales, & drives stock value down. It just becomes more & more difficult to understand what the objective of the Nokia organization is other than to make the company worthless.
You sound like a 770/N800/N810 owner during the lead up to the N900's release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
... becomes more & more difficult to understand what the objective of the Nokia organization is other than to make the company worthless.
Part of the Nokia board's strategy to drive the share price down so MS can pick it up for peanuts.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You sound like a 770/N800/N810 owner during the lead up to the N900's release.
That is interesting that the behavior goes back farther. When I got the N900, tech geeks I know loved it but weren't going to get one because Nokia seemed to them to have already orphaned Maemo and switched to Meego.

Reputation goes a long way with consumers, unless your product is dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
mal wouldnt stand for this! Serenity is a great metaphor for the n900, beaten and battered but still going stong.

i think we should get used to seeing them wind down the n900 sales side tbh, its sad with all the bad news we had recently but inevitable.

Tags
maemo.nokia.com