Active Topics

Notices

Hi everybody. I was reading some tweets where some guys reported that they are playing quake 3 with tv out on the n900.

Is it possible to play Quake 3 with 3d accelleration on the n900?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Rotkaeqpchen View Post
Hi everybody. I was reading some tweets where some guys reported that they are playing quake 3 with tv out on the n900.

Is it possible to play Quake 3 with 3d accelleration on the n900?
Yes, it is.

Wow, thats really cool. I hope my n900 arrives just in time

Will Quake 3 be availible in the Application Catalogue, on maemo.org or can it be downloaded somewhere else?

thanks in advice.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Rotkaeqpchen View Post
Wow, thats really cool. I hope my n900 arrives just in time

Will Quake 3 be availible in the Application Catalogue, on maemo.org or can it be downloaded somewhere else?

thanks in advice.
That is unknown for the moment. I suspect it was just done as a test... but I'm sure someone will eventually put it into Extras, but without the data files.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I know the original developer of Quake was a big Symbian fan, and ported Quake III, I believe it was (not a big gamer), to the N95's OMAP platform. Being the Nokia geek he is, I would expect the same for the N900, though I haven't heard of him saying so.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Markina-Xemein, Bizkaia, Spain
You mean John Carmack?
Id Software is working hard on iphone, i really hope that they may give a shake to maemo and N900

So, as some guys were already tweeting about playing q3 on n900 i believe they will make it available, of course without data files, but the client. Man, can't wait for my device...

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Since we had Quake II on N810, which has no 3D acceleration, and as far as I remember, Quake's 3D engine is opensource, there should be no problem porting Quake III to N900, all you would need of course are the game files, which are not open, but if you have the original game, you can use those.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
I have to say though that playing Quake II on N810 was not a pleasant experience. It's a bit hard to control the movement on d-pad with left hand, and looking and shooting with right hand. Or at least it was for me.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
OTOH playing Quake I on the N800 was great fun. The game felt just as it was made for this device. The combination of D-Pad and stylus control was very good on the N800 in Quake.