Active Topics

Hi, when unlocking my N9 yesterday I saw 2 very fine black lines on my screen. After about 5 minutes of using my N9 they faded away until I almost couldn't see them anymore, so I tought the problem fixed itself.
But... when I unlocked the device some time later the lines were back again, and again they faded away after some time of use.
Today the problem is still there. Anyone else had the same problem with their N9. It doesn't look like the nasty screen rot that I noticed in other threads.
I'll bring it in under guarantee, but I'm afraid they'll just send it back unfixed as the lines fade away after some minutes of use.

I have attached some pictures to the topic, taken yesterday and today.
Attached Images

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
LCD showing signs of damage most probably... If its still covered under warranty send it to Nokia Care...

It's sent in for repair. After I had resetted the device I already could see 3 black lines on the display.
It's the first time I sent something in for repair. I hope I get it back in the perfect condition like I sent it in.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
I'm getting those lines only when i use my n9 in freezing environment ~0C first the lines and if device is further cooled down the display stops refreshing (but touch component still works). After warming it up, everything goes to normal again.Perhaps liquid crystals are getting solid (like T1000).
Barnabas Collins

well, outside it's around 0°C but inside it's nice and warm, so i doubt it has something to do with the temperature
Now I'll have to wait and depend on my trusty HD2

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Fort Worth, Texas
I have that too, but have many more. I think they 'fade' due to the screen brightness changing, if i turn the brightness all the way up, they are less visible. I'm looking to get a new screen and fit it myself (phone is not under warranty) Are they not all still under warranty due to being under 2 years old?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, México
liquid cristal? N9 has AMOLED screen, no liquid at all, am i missing something?

The Following User Says Thank You to dcastrog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by dcastrog View Post
liquid cristal? N9 has AMOLED screen, no liquid at all, am i missing something?
Relax it's me missing knowledge of amoled
(amoleds also can freeze like T1000, obviously )
Barnabas Collins

Originally Posted by kollin View Post
I'm getting those lines only when i use my n9 in freezing environment ~0C first the lines and if device is further cooled down the display stops refreshing (but touch component still works). After warming it up, everything goes to normal again.Perhaps liquid crystals are getting solid (like T1000).
Same cold weather conditions produced the black lines for me as well.

Similar situation in this thread here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86251

The Following User Says Thank You to ceevee For This Useful Post:
I got my N9 back yesterday.
The repair report shows that the phone has been repaired with a "mechanical replacement", but as you can see in the attached picture, the screen still shows the black lines ...
I also don't like that the person who has written the description of the defect has made an error, she wrote that the lines appear when opening "a certain" application, while the lines are visible in any application.
Next time I'll just type the description of the problem at home and add some pictures and take the print with me.
I'm pretty sure they did nothing to fix it and I'm not happy about this
I filed a complaint and hope for a positive outcome.
Attached Images