Notices

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
At this time Carman and minigpsd use the same "connection" which can only be used one at a time.
ah, o.k.

Any news on the Carman minigpsd integration? I really love using minigpsd to log my voyages (including ODBII data), but showing off the spiffy Carman interface every now and then would be nice, too

Regards,
Hakan

I tried but Carman has some complex DBUS messaging with NO examples of how to send the bits of data. Minigpsd has examples both in python and c of how to pick up its data - both obd and gps - and display it (removing the printfs and adding the dbus sends should be all that is necessary, but it is beyond me).

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
For the moment, bluez-utils-test osso6 will be in extras-devel, and osso4 will remain in extras.

I don't think I can do both versions and I would like to wait a few days until more people have updated to 5.2008.

For the record, I have updated my N810 to 5.2008 and successfully installed minigpsd-0.31b after that.

Regards,
Hakan

1. You need version 0.31pre0c or later for OBD2 support.
2. You need to have it paired with Harley OFF but OBD ON.
3. It will save the responses (if any) as a kml comment with a stream of hex digits, typically beginning with a 41 and the PID.

1. The ELM device will show as connected with the bluetooth statusbar applet if minigpsd/miniobd2d is running and attempting to pull data.
2. Starting miniobd2d from the command line (not as root!) will show what it is attempting to do. You can use strace to see more detail.
The 0.31b setup page show "OBD" and "On" on the first line, and "V1" on the second. The "Harley" checkbox seems to be renamed to "On", so to I have to toggle that off?

I think I noticed a white dot on the lower left of the status icon. Does this signify the OBD connection? The bluetooth statusbar applet turns blue too while I'm in the vicinity of my car, and clicking on it shows that it is connected with "CAN OBDII".

Regards,
Hakan

Yes. It will show a dot in the UL for GPS, the LL for OBD.

Harley must be off since that is for the non-OBD2 datastream of harley motorcycles.

V1 is for my radar detector which I can also pull data via bluetooth with a special interface (It is in one of the threads).

I can't get the OBD tracing to work, so I'm working my way through the source code of 0.31a. Could you please tell me whether I'm on the right track?

Yes. It will show a dot in the UL for GPS, the LL for OBD.
Strange, I see just the LL white dot, but not the UL. According to mgsetuplib.py, the UL pixels should be white when the gpsfd is open, and the LL should be white when the obdfd is open.

I see GPS data (which MaemoMapper can use) and the dots for the sattelites (and the green circle), but never the UL white dot.

Harley must be off since that is for the non-OBD2 datastream of harley motorcycles.
I will check my configuration again, but selecting / deselecting the "On" button next to the "OBD" button (in the first line of the "Advanced" tab) doesn't seem to make a difference.

The bluetooth icon shows that my N810 is connected to the ELM adapter, but I can't see anything that looks like OBD in the KML file.

If I read the function calcobd() in harley.c correctly, I should at least see $PDERR or $PDMSG in my KML if this function is ever called, right?

Regards,
Hakan

3. It will save the responses (if any) as a kml comment with a stream of hex digits, typically beginning with a 41 and the PID.
Could you please upload a small KML file with OBD trace data? I'd really like to see what "live" data looks like

Regards,
Hakan

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Is there a way of using obdII via serial USB converter?
It's bit frustrating that on tablets the only way is bluetooth way especially when tablets have hardwired serial ports as well as good usb rs232 dongle support.

Source problems:

Get 0.31b from www.zdez.org (source). There will be a 0.31c shortly, but maybe in extras-devel.

I'll see if I can find a KMZ with data. They should appear as KML comments with an l just after the timestamp and the obd message values.

USB Converter OBD2:

Remove /dev/rfcomm1 in the device field in the config program and replace it with /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0 or whatever the serial port comes up as. Note: I don't set the baud rate, so you will need to do stty or something similar, or set the OBD device to the device default (or wait for me to add a baudrate field).

Tags
gps, obd2