I really wish somebody would make something like the Nokia 770, but with proper game controls, so I can use it for gaming as well as web-surfing and PDA functions.

In fact, here's what I'd really like to have:

http://strout.net/info/ideas/dreammachine/

I welcome any feedback on this idea.

Best,
- Joe

Send it to Ben Heckendorn!

Thanks for the suggestion — I just did exactly that!

Best,
- Joe

I dont think we have to wait for too long. Doesnt PSP lack only the touch screen?

Maybe when PSP2 comes

Originally Posted by tonberry1
I dont think we have to wait for too long. Doesnt PSP lack only the touch screen?

Maybe when PSP2 comes
No, it also lacks an open development environment. That's a real deal-killer in my book. Plus, it's made by evil bastards.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just a thought on this, I started thinking of PDAs that I'd like... I wanted a harddrive, decent flash memory, a nice crisp screen, and a few other goodies (like the ability to power USB devices(albeit maybe for not very long or in a plugged-in mode). I've got a 40GB RCA Lyra mp3 player and would love to be able to plug it into the 770. The only thing is, it tries to go into charge mode once plugged in.

Anyway, while we're on ideas, I'd love to see a bunch of pocket-sized devices that could communicate via cable connection or bluetooth. If I'm sitting at a cafe, I wouldn't mind plugging a portable self powered HDD into a PDA... things like that.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
If I'm sitting at a cafe, I wouldn't mind plugging a portable self powered HDD into a PDA... things like that.
Or if you're sitting on an airplane or in a car or at a desk... This is an excellent thought.

People talk alot about the seemily exclusive needs of a large screen and small form factor for portable devices. Modular devices would be a great way to solve this problem. If the main device has enough processor and RAM to comfortable chug through routine applications (email and web browsing, for instance) but can access external storage for off-line media (like movies and music or, if you're some sort of "serious" user, large databases, presentations and word processing documents) everyone would be happy. ...Could be happy.

It would an incredible thing if folks could get the 770 to work with portable hard drives.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
What do you think about this little bugger ? It's only Bluetooth 1.1 but it's available at the Apple store and a lot of people there have tried it and offered quite a range of opinion about it (there are 3 separate revisions of it, each with their own firmware update for it.)

It's not that manufacturers don't see the demand for such a device. It's the price point. When the individual components drop to a price that would allow the device to sell for less than $500, it will happen. When you can buy a laptop computer for $500, the market for a $500 device such as this becomes very thin.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Berlin, Germany
Here is your "Dream Machine": iRiver G10.
rok