I've tried cold flashing, the result is the same is warmflashing.

I have double and triple checked the md5 checksum, and redownloaded it countless times. I've also tried different computers....

However, come to think of it, I actually HAVEN'T tried using a different usb CABLE. I'll need to buy another one and try it...

Last edited by Wowfunhappy; 2012-10-04 at 18:35.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy View Post
I've tried cold flashing, the result is the same is warmflashing.

I have double and triple checked the md5 checksum, and redownloaded it countless times. I've also tried different computers....

However, come to think of it, I actually HAVEN'T tried using a different usb CABLE. I'll need to buy another one and try it...
Thank Rainisto for stepping in

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Just bought and tried a different USB cable. Same problem.

...Anything else I might be able to do?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
are you getting: "Raw data transfer failed: Invalid argument" error message on every flashing attempt?

There isn't much that you can do if you do, as that usually just tells that there is a problem in transfer or crc error, meaning usb port timings/wrong usb port/distribution probelms, or using usb hubs, etc. If your sure that you have tested in multiple machines and with different ports then in that case you should just take device back to Nokia Care for warranty fixing (all devices should still be under 1.5year factory warranty). Nokia webpages also have imei checker page where you can check if your device still have factory warranty.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-10-06 at 09:13.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Wowfunhappy,

One thing I never asked you; did you try flashing using a Windows PC? Also were you connected to the internet when starting the flash?

If on Windows PC, is the N9 Ethernet driver installed when you connect it for flashing? If not, does it give an error that the driver isn't found?

I haven't tried flashing it on an actual PC, but I have tried on a Mac running bootcamp. I don't get any driver errors.

Rainisto, my device is under warrenty. The problem is that because I live in the US, I don't think Nokia Care here is going to fix it. I'd be happy to pay to get it fixed, but I don't know where I'd send it...

I DON'T get the "raw data transfer failed" message every time, however. Only sometimes. Other times, it just tells me that flashing failed due to an error.

Last edited by Wowfunhappy; 2012-10-07 at 06:57.

Wowfunhappy,
although I'm new with the n9 I probably have the solution for your problem, if you still need one. See, I switched the battery in my N9, as I bought it as a used device and was unhappy with it. Anyway, I switched it and got stuck in the bootloop, as I understand you are too. I then thought it is a software problem, so that I've tried to reflash with the known procedure with flasher etc. But then all the time when I wanted to flash, the phone died on me after a bit of time. I've read your thread and followed the advise to make the secure clean... which I did, but it also failed... Then I figured, why secure erase so I tried a non secure erase by using "flasher -f -F main.bin --erase-user-data" and then flasher figured that the battery was down to 0% and started to charge my battery and now I hope to get it to boot again. In other words, flasher gives a wrong information in the secure erase with battery at 100%. Before I connected the N9 to the computer, I unplugged the battery from the N9, I don't know if that's really necessary though.
Before the non-secure-erase started, flasher charged it up to 11% and started the erase. After that the flash went through. I then waited a bit before I disconnected the phone afterwards and did the reboot, now it's working again. YAY

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't try flashing my phone to charge it, because I can't find a fedora (rpm) or generic 'bin' style package of the N9 flasher for my version of linux. All I can find is a .deb package (which only works on Debian-based systems).

Does anyone know of either a generic linux n9 flasher package (that will run on any version of linux), or has anyone repackaged the debian version into a RPM?

Thanks for reading

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
There's just the DEB.

I might try repackaging it, as an excercise. (Never done that but I guess it should not be that hard...)

What do I need to know to do that? Here are the dependencies of the package:
Code:
juice@osiris:~$ 
juice@osiris:~$ aptitude show flasher
Package: flasher                         
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 3.12.1
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Maintainer: Mika Korhonen <ext-mika.2.korhonen@nokia.com>
Architecture: i386
Uncompressed Size: 164 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7), libusb-0.1-4 (>= 2:0.1.12)
Description: Flashing utility
 This package contains utility for flashing DFL61 devices

juice@osiris:~$ ldd /usr/bin/flasher
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7709000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xb76ea000)
	libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0xb76e0000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb7536000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xb751b000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb770a000)

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I can't try flashing my phone to charge it, because I can't find a fedora (rpm) or generic 'bin' style package of the N9 flasher for my version of linux. All I can find is a .deb package (which only works on Debian-based systems).
Maybe you can try to boot with a LiveCD for Ubuntu or other debian-based distro? Although I'm not sure whether it can install a package to the livecd 'ramdisk'.