Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I wil be running screaming from Nokia, never again to darken it's doors. The N97 was appalling, truly dreadful and I took a gamble they wouldn't release two in a row. Sadly they did and I got burned, very badly by it.

Haven't had a day go by that the phone hasn't crashed, errored or made me want to punch the nearest person because of the badly written beta OS.

So HTC for the build quality and Android because at least someone is developing the OS. Most likely one of the 'desires' as everyone I know with them hasn't had an issue (like media trackers chewing up CPU, or unavailble media codes half way through a film, or crashing apps, MMS, portrait, flash 10, worlds slowest app manager, appalling browser, custom ringtones, voice navigation, photos defaulting to camera folder, etc etc.)

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
I love a linux phone because it works perfectly together with my other computers and I can do everything with it.
If MeeGo is like a real Linux like Maemo, i will switch to N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndiThebest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
appalling browser
Eh? Micro B is the best mobile browser by far. I've had the HTC Desire. Nothing special. I agree that telephony is poor on the N900, that's why I've been trying to find a second device to use as my 'everyday smartphone'. Every device I try ends up second best to the N900. :/

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I will go for E7.

Originally Posted by AndiThebest View Post
I love a linux phone because it works perfectly together with my other computers and I can do everything with it.
If MeeGo is like a real Linux like Maemo, i will switch to N9.
Same here.
Especially if the N9 will feature that Intel x86 Atom cpu.
Then we'll have Linux + Wine = Lot's of old Windows games

I'm really hoping to play some gta1,2/carmageddon/g-police/whatever..

Also hope the battery will be better.

After my last expierence with nokia and the n900 i will never buy a nokia again. I paid over 500 € for a phone for one year and now the phone is out of developing and nokia do nothing for us n900 useres... i will lokk for a good android device... next year... or may be there vomes another thing - but nokia will get no more money from me!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Haven't had a day go by that the phone hasn't crashed, errored or made me want to punch the nearest person because of the badly written beta OS.
Wow. Just, wow. I've had mine for, lets see, a month and a half now; not a single crash or error yet (even with uptime stretching into weeks between rebooting). Browsing these boards, I haven't seen other users dealing with anything like the problem you're describing here. Maybe you need to have your n900 serviced?

This thing is running Linux -- if you think an operating system that is, now, two decades old and running on everything from embedded cpus to desktop machines to supercomputers is still a "badly written beta", I'm afraid you're going to be underwhelmed by the competitors. (Windows Phone 7 is less than a year old, iOS is only four, Symbian at best has a history of about a decade, and Android is, of course, running exactly the same "badly written beta OS" as the n900 does.)

Honestly, there's gotta be a reason for your n900 to be crashing when so many others are working perfectly fine. You really should take it to be fixed...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
At the moment, there is no phone out there that does what the N900 does for me.

I don't do a massive amount with my N900, but the change would make life difficult. The horizontalness is my favourite feature. Its got a great media player (although it could do with a better gui, but I can stream internet radio so we're good). And it just works. I don't have to faf around with turning off internet things because they want to keep connecting, and the multitasking will always be inferior to everything else.

If meego is any good I may move to that if its as open as Maemo is to abuse.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I wil be running screaming from Nokia, never again to darken it's doors. The N97 was appalling, truly dreadful and I took a gamble they wouldn't release two in a row. Sadly they did and I got burned, very badly by it.

So HTC for the build quality and Android because at least someone is developing the OS. Most likely one of the 'desires' as everyone I know with them hasn't had an issue (like media trackers chewing up CPU, or unavailble media codes half way through a film, or crashing apps, MMS, portrait, flash 10, worlds slowest app manager, appalling browser, custom ringtones, voice navigation, photos defaulting to camera folder, etc etc.)
Wow, sell it now before prices drop too much! You don't need that much misery and frustration in your life! It's only a phone. (no, its a computer! phone. computer.AARRGGHHH!)

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Hello all, this is my first post.

I would'n go for anything less open than maemo or without a hw keyboard.

Would it be possible to port maemo to N9?

The Following User Says Thank You to pikatoste For This Useful Post:

Tags
die android die, nokia blows